deck plate mod? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

deck plate mod?

Have been researching the deck plate mod and was wondering if it is worth it to install? How noisy, work well with K&N drop in filter? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

2001 dblCab SR5 3.4L V6 TRD
Bone stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:46 PM

I've bought the deckplate, but haven't installed it yet. I got mine because most people's posts that I saw claimed an increase in gas mileage. As for power, I think the truck has enough for now, but we'll see when the deckplate goes in this weekend.

No matter what brand filter you use it with, it should help the intake breathe easier, but many people here don't like the K&N filter. Do a search if you aren't sure whether or not you're gonna use the K&N. If you already know you'll use it, then I guess you don't need to do any searching.

No Tacoma anymore, had to go bigger and couldn't afford a Tundra.

2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 PM

I just did the mod the other day and it took no time at all. It really didn't make my truck run any louder. It feels a little peppier but as far as gas mile increase I still have gone through a tank of gas so I can no tell you.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YoTRacer158 Send a message via Yahoo to YoTRacer158
gadget dyno'd before and after and saw a 6hp increase over stock. i've heard mixed opinions on gas mileage, some saw an increase and others saw a decrease. it'll have a louder intake noise as well

2004 V6 5spd 4x4: TRD Charger, URD Fuel Mods/AFR/Unlimiter/2.1" Pulley/Crank Pulley/Short Throw, Supra MAF, TrueFlow Filter, JBA Ti Ceramic Headers, SpinTech Exhaust, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, BentUp Front Bumper, Chaos LT/Kings, 62" Deavers/18" Kings/, Glassworks Supercharger Hood/Fenders/Bedsides, 15x8 Black Steelies, 33x12.5 Claws, 4.56's, RR Solid Motor Mounts

youtube.com/YoTRacer158
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

If you use the deckpate, instead of just cutting a 4" hole in the airbox, you get 2 options. Leave the cover on, or take it off. If the cover is on, you have the stock setup. So, for $8... no harm, no foul. It is one of the easiest, cheapest mods you can do. And, it is the best add on when considering price to performance. So try it. If you don't like it, screw in the cover, and forget about it. Nice!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Main Man's TRD

Send a message via Yahoo to Plasstik
What is a deck plate and does anyone have a pic of one

If you are offended…..It’s not my fault you put yourself in that category!

Bilstein 5100, Toytec 3" spring lift , 33 M/T, Camburg UCA, Daystar 1" body lift BLa Bla Bla do you really give two shits to what is on my truck? NO! I didn't think so, but more to come when I get the chance.

Peace and a bag of chips!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to gtrguy13
I wouldnt recommend the K&N. i had a drop in in my truck with the deckplate. Let in too much dirt past the filter in my opinion. I didnt really notice a gain in power or milage either so i dont think its worth the risk that brings with the extra dirt. I have heard better things about Amasoil though. Just my $.02.

'03 DC 4x4 TRD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Keyser Soze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasstik
What is a deck plate and does anyone have a pic of one
http://www.wattora.com/mods/deckplate

-Rob

Slightly Modified 2001 Tacoma - WATRD.COM
Washington|Oregon|Idaho|B.C. and beyond -
Northwest Toys
Tread Lightly! certified Tread Trainer
TTORA Member Number WA-2001-00172

Search 100+ Toyota tech sites, including this one: Toyota Tech Search
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Icepuck72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portman
Have been researching the deck plate mod and was wondering if it is worth it to install? How noisy, work well with K&N drop in filter? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
It works so well that I took my complete air box off of my engine.

E Pluribus Unum -- Out of many, One
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Just did the mod this weekend, and so far I like it. Call me crazy, but I like a little noise under the hood. It sounds a little beefier, and only makes noise over 2500 rpm. I'm not there all that much, so it doesn't bug me. Like the rest, still on my first tank of gas, and don't know about increase in mpg. We'll see. Total set up cost me about $20, and an hour on Saturday afternoon. I am also running a K&N, which seems to do it's job out here in dry and dusty Vegas.

"In the time it took you to come up with a witty flame, you could have just answered the freaking question!"

Ugly 1985 4Runner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode