Deck plate mod question - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Deck plate mod question

I've been checking out some past posts & details (thanks Jackson) on the deck plate mod. My ? is about the potential for water in the intake, engine.... Never a good thing.. Alot of the trails I ride have creek crossings, sometimes pretty deep. Anybody have advice/experience to share? Thanks in advance.

'72 FJ40 "Walter" Frame-off refurb, SOA, 5.7 Vortec, SM465, couple lockers, Longs, doodads & stuff.

TLCA #21147
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 PM

That is the whole idea behind the deckplate mod....If you are going to go through some water, just but the deckplate "lid" back on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

well, color me stoopid.. i missed that part by a mile. For another stupid question, where do you find the deck plate and cover?

'72 FJ40 "Walter" Frame-off refurb, SOA, 5.7 Vortec, SM465, couple lockers, Longs, doodads & stuff.

TLCA #21147
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAddict
I've been checking out some past posts & details (thanks Jackson) on the deck plate mod. My ? is about the potential for water in the intake, engine.... Never a good thing.. Alot of the trails I ride have creek crossings, sometimes pretty deep. Anybody have advice/experience to share? Thanks in advance.
If you are seriously considering fording water, you'll need to worry about many other things rather than the intake.

But yeah, the point of the deckplate mod is so you can put the lid back on for muddin' and water. But that just gives you the stock water clearances back...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Understood. Been wheeling for 14 years, & well aware of the problems water can cause. Thanks for the input.

TLCA #21147
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAddict
well, color me stoopid.. i missed that part by a mile. For another stupid question, where do you find the deck plate and cover?
Any boat/ship store. I got mine from shipstore.com, but it would have been about 1/2 the price at a local place (yeah, I checked after I placed my online order).

No Tacoma anymore, had to go bigger and couldn't afford a Tundra.

2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

I had to call around quite a bit to find one (Las Vegas) and found one for about $10. Sealant was about $6, hardware another 2. Screen to keep out the big debris and big clamp cost another 2. I think that it ended up costing me about $20, and 45 minutes to install. Go through your "marine/boating supply" section of the yellow pages, and be prepared for a lot of questions about "what you want that for?"

"In the time it took you to come up with a witty flame, you could have just answered the freaking question!"

Ugly 1985 4Runner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Chicks Dig Body Damage

Yeah, one thing nice about the deckplate mod is that you can put everything back to stock if you want to. Some guys will keep it closed also when you put the supercharger on your rig. For such a cheap and easy mod, it is well worth it. It makes your engine sound a little better when you throttle it also.

Jason

98 TRD Limited
Donahoe Coilovers/ OME Dakar's w/D6XL AAL
33" BFG KM2's
ARB Bullbar/Warn 9.5XP/Safari Snorkel
HID Conversion Headlights
Custom Sliders/ All Pro rear bumper
Budbuilt Skids/Bellypan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode