I have a question?? 98 Tacoma V6 4x4 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I have a question?? 98 Tacoma V6 4x4

I have a 98 tacoma V6 4x4 and I hear a noise in the engine. It sounds like a dry hydraulic lifter or a loose tappett? Also how do u change the transmission oil? Is it a big job?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
River Rat

Send a message via AIM to hawaiianbro
Bump I have the same vehicle....same question. He didn't say whether he had a manual or auto? I have a manual though!

05 Taco - SAC'd HPD44 - F.O.A. Coilovers - Armored and Locked.
99 Cummins - Workin towards 1,000lbs Torque
05 GSXR 750 - 20th Anniversary - My Coffin

I'm Brown And I will Rule The World One Day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000
I have a 98 tacoma V6 4x4 and I hear a noise in the engine. It sounds like a dry hydraulic lifter or a loose tappett? Also how do u change the transmission oil? Is it a big job?

thanks
Mine does the same thing. I never thought twice about it.

Changing the transmission oil is easy, if you have the right tools. I have a lift, so that is simple for me, but some ramps and saftey gear should allow you enough room.

Remember to let it cool down in the garage or driveway for a couple of hours. That oil gets FUCKING HOT!

1996 Toyota Tacoma
2.5 Toytec, PIAA Lights, Sound System, 32's.

Needs lockers more than anything.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

it is a auto.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Yeti
Youve got to take off the pan on the bottom of the tranny, then the oil spooges out all around it. just loosen all the bolts and crack the pan down some so it lets the oil out slowly instead of jsut popping off and shooting oil everywhere. Dont haynes manuals explain this stuff?

98 Ext Cab 4wd ADD
3" cornfed V6-power
33x10.5x15 steel whls BFG AT ko...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

i dont think is a lifter b/c if it was you would hear it at idla. mine you dont hear it tell around 3000 rpm.. u cant hear it out side eather only in the cab?
anyone??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to DesertTRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000
i dont think is a lifter b/c if it was you would hear it at idla. mine you dont hear it tell around 3000 rpm.. u cant hear it out side eather only in the cab?
anyone??
check your belts, i had the same noise and it turned out ot be i had a small nick in one of my belts and it was making the noise only at higher rpm's the toy mech that told me about it used some belt dressing to kill the noise, then i replaced the belts to get ride of the problem.

- for 10,000 years, man has been hitting things with hammers to make them work....dont mess with a working formula

Book of the Piece Chapter 3, Verse 10

meh... it's yer junk... so wgasa. LoL -- TacoDell
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

The nose was a pin hole in the exhaust flange! Thank god! As for the trans oil its done now to!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti
Youve got to take off the pan on the bottom of the tranny, then the oil spooges out all around it. just loosen all the bolts and crack the pan down some so it lets the oil out slowly instead of jsut popping off and shooting oil everywhere. Dont haynes manuals explain this stuff?
I just loosened/removed the drain plug on my '98. Found that to be much easier and cleaner.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:05 PM

If you want to do a drain and refill ( only changes out approx. 4 qts of transmission fluid ) there is a drain plug on the bottom of your transmission fluid pan to do this procedure. ( get a new drain plug gasket ). If you want to change out all of the fluid this will take 14 - 18 quarts of fluid and unless you have done this before I would take it to a good shop and have it done. The filter in your transmission is a wire mesh type and it is not necessary to change this filter and the transmission oil pan should not be pulled down unless done by someone with the proper training ( there are several small magnets in this pan and it is my understanding that they have to be properly positioned ).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Yeti
Im sorry, I shouldnt have tried to give info here becuase I actually have neer seen a tacoma auto trans and Ive only changed fords where I had to drop the pan off.... sorry my fault

98 Ext Cab 4wd ADD
3" cornfed V6-power
33x10.5x15 steel whls BFG AT ko...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode