Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
OK, I am biased, I already have one. But...
2004 (x-cab) length: 202.9", width: 66.5", height: 67.5", wb: 121.9"
2005 (a-cab) length: 208.1", width: 74.6", height: 69.9", wb: 127.8"
So it is 5.2" longer, 8.1" wider (only 4.3" wider w/ d-cab vs. a-cab), and 2.4" taller. I'm sure no one will complain about the extra height. They made it 6" longer, which is not going to have much trail influence, so the only thing is the width. Personally I have an '86 Toyota PU and the size was always a bit sparse until now. Just sit in one of the new ones and you will notice where the extra size went--interior space, which I think was needed (I am 6'2" BTW). That being said, I looked at the Tundra and would rather have the smaller, more fuel efficient, and better trail-ready Tacoma.
Ya, it is not going to fair well on the MIKE's Axle Alley, but I am willing to bet the reason for that picture was the extreme nature of that crux. The new truck will handle 98% of the same off-road trails that the old truck did. For the remaining 2%, you have an extra 55 HP and 62 ft-lbs of stock torque to help you scratch and dent it up. MIKE's footer even says "Build It - Wheel It - Break It - Fix It"!
I think the arguments against the bed are a bunch of hot air. I had only found ONE story on the whole web about the bed cracking and it was quickly replaced. Toyota will stand behind there workmanship. Everyone who isn't extreme enough to bob their tail gets a bed liner or would like to.
What else: shape, fenders, colors? This is all subjective and maybe a bit of regret, jealousy, or just plain opinion.
After market: I have recently learned that patience is going to be my best ally. I am waiting for bumpers, lifts, etc. and it may be a year or more.
Opinions and bias will rule this argument. Drive the old ones, drive the new one, wait for the ’06 if you like, but remember: they are only going to go forward, not back. So the ’05 is the future of the Tacoma, like it or not.
Personally, I like it!
'05 A-Cab, TRD Off-Road w/ Tow, ARB Bull Bar, Demello sliders
Donahoe COs, Yoko Geolandar A/T-S 285/75R16s on Wheelers (16x8 Type B)
ExtremeAire Jr OBA, Garmin Colorado, Panasonic CQ-C7413U, TRC503 CB w/ 9' whip.
Last edited by Gargoyle; 04-05-2005 at 11:38 PM.