How to tell your cat is going? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
River Rat

Send a message via AIM to hawaiianbro
How to tell your cat is going?

Hey guys, I was just wondering how you could tell if your catylatic converter is going out? Is there some kind of sound when you rev it up? When I got my taco smogged a few months ago....it barely passed...i mean barely. Since then I have replaced the O2 sensor, ran seafoam through and got a magnaflow muffler. But i'm curious about the cat? Maybe i just have to unbolt it and see?

Thanks in advance,
Kaleo

05 Taco - SAC'd HPD44 - F.O.A. Coilovers - Armored and Locked.
99 Cummins - Workin towards 1,000lbs Torque
05 GSXR 750 - 20th Anniversary - My Coffin

I'm Brown And I will Rule The World One Day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member

This is a good question. How many miles, approx. can we expect the cat. converter to last?? What are the most commonsigns of failure? Mine seems o.k. but it would be good to get a rough idea.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to YUNADERIS Send a message via Yahoo to YUNADERIS
when mine started to go i got a check engine light, catalyst below threshold. i also noticed after running my truck hard for a bit, like going uphill, i would start to smell a rotten egg smell or something, and the people behind me in their trucks could smell gas....or unburnt petro products

usually the CEL is the first warning.... performance also can be effected if the cat breaks loose inside and clogs the flow of exhaust
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 05:51 PM

do what I do,take the cat. out,straight pipe!

Exit 8
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA808N
do what I do,take the cat. out,straight pipe!
It's not quite that simple, there are sensors on both sides of the cat that must read within a certain range for your truck to run properly(someone with more knowledge may want to chime in here)

Last edited by 99TanTaco; 04-17-2005 at 02:13 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianbro
Hey guys, I was just wondering how you could tell if your catylatic converter is going out? Is there some kind of sound when you rev it up? When I got my taco smogged a few months ago....it barely passed...i mean barely. Since then I have replaced the O2 sensor, ran seafoam through and got a magnaflow muffler. But i'm curious about the cat? Maybe i just have to unbolt it and see?

Thanks in advance,
Kaleo
Mine went out around 60000 miles, about the only thing I noticed was my truck ran rough at idle and my gas mileage dropped slightly, 2-3mpg. How many miles do you have on your truck? The cat is covered under the emissions warranty which is good for 80000miles

Last edited by 99TanTaco; 04-18-2005 at 07:49 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
River Rat

Send a message via AIM to hawaiianbro
I just hit 111,000 miles. If I were to buy a new one....should I go with a Hi-Flow aftermarket one? or just stick with the stock one from the dealership? Since I hit this many miles....maybe it would be a good idea to replace it anyways.

05 Taco - SAC'd HPD44 - F.O.A. Coilovers - Armored and Locked.
99 Cummins - Workin towards 1,000lbs Torque
05 GSXR 750 - 20th Anniversary - My Coffin

I'm Brown And I will Rule The World One Day.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just hit 111,000 miles. If I were to buy a new one....should I go with a Hi-Flow aftermarket one? or just stick with the stock one from the dealership? Since I hit this many miles....maybe it would be a good idea to replace it anyways.
I'm betting that the Hi-Flow would be cheaper than the OEM but I'm not sure about reliability,or any gains, you mentioned that you replaced an O2 sensor, there should be another sensor on the opposite side of the cat that could be the culprit as well, so you may need to have a mehanic check it out for you $$$ (prbly not what you wanted to here) But assuming you don't want to pay someone to look at I'd go for the Hi-Flow cat (I'm up for anything that might add more power and give your truck more of a rumble)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TanTaco
It's not quite that simple, there are sensors on both sides of the cat that must read within a certain range for your truck to run properly(someone with more knowledge may want to chime in here)
pm me about it

Exit 8
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA808N
pm me about it
You talkin to me or Hawianbro? And are you saying theres a way around the sensors, if so is there a write up or you could make one for the cheap tricks section. I'm not interested in this mod right now but others might be and my advise to hawianbro was only based on what I was told by mechanics when dealing with a similar problem so feel free to correct me on anything I told him that was not right
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
www.lcengineering.com

The bolt-in replacement cat from them is like $160 and its CARB legal.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo
This is a good question. How many miles, approx. can we expect the cat. converter to last?? What are the most commonsigns of failure? Mine seems o.k. but it would be good to get a rough idea.
There is not set time. Engine problems can change the time frame very quickly. Some stock cats may last 150k or more, when others will have them burn out at 50k. Granted a 50k burn-out is covered by the 80k mile emission warranty, there is no telling when it will actually fail. They are supposed to be designed to last 100-150k miles under factory specs.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode