Wheelin' a Stick Shift - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to JeeBar
Wheelin' a Stick Shift

I recently got an '05 DoubleCab 4x4 with the 6-speed manual tranny. I got it and love it mostly because I like driving a stick shift on the street. I've only been offroad a few times--in the '01 Tacoma DC I used to have--which obviously had an automatic since that's all that was available.

I'm wondering what the experience/upside/downside of a stickshift will be on the trail. I've heard some people say it's better, but frankly it seems like it'll be a MAJOR pain in the ass managing a clutch while negotiating uneven uphill terrain. What should I expect? Any tips or tricks for not lookin' like a total noob my first time out on a run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeBar
I recently got an '05 DoubleCab 4x4 with the 6-speed manual tranny. I got it and love it mostly because I like driving a stick shift on the street. I've only been offroad a few times--in the '01 Tacoma DC I used to have--which obviously had an automatic since that's all that was available.

I'm wondering what the experience/upside/downside of a stickshift will be on the trail. I've heard some people say it's better, but frankly it seems like it'll be a MAJOR pain in the ass managing a clutch while negotiating uneven uphill terrain. What should I expect? Any tips or tricks for not lookin' like a total noob my first time out on a run?
Automatics are nice for rock crawling, but I will always own manual tranny rigs. Put a crawler in there and nobody will know you are a noob.

Later,
....Mike
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:27 PM

I wheel with a stick,and feel like I have more control over what I am doing. Just remember not to hold the clutch down while slowing and breaking on rough terrain. The open clutch is not good to be rattling around.

1998 Toyota Tacoma Xtra Cab, 5" total lift, 33's, performance stuff, CBI Off Road Body armor, lots of other stuff no one really cares about!

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Retired

One tip for getting started on steep hills, if you have to stop:

Use the parking brake to keep you from rolling backwards, then feather the clutch and get on up the hill. Works the best on slickrock, but I've used it on loose dirt climbs.

-Thomas

I love to buy my parts from TRDParts4U.com
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to xcmountain80
Quote:

You can truly learn the relationship btwn you and your vehicle, You will have to learn to be quick with the clutch quick with the gas and you will stall no doubt, I feel I have better control of my rig as oposed to driving my brothers auto . But thats just me...

Aaron

02 4-Runner
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Ted
wut?

Send a message via AIM to Ted
If you have low gearing, the stick is no big deal. There are times were I wish my truck had the auto.

Last edited by Ted; 04-24-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: change a word
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Dean

Quote:

you ARE a noob....just face it
and change your avatar...its your old truck
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Dean

Quote:

Mr. Bar
with practice you will learn how to control the truck off road. You just need to get out a keep wheeling. its like anything...practice makes perfect.
when we going to see that rig on a run? Hollister is next month.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Random Dude

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBob0
Just remember that in most cases it's better to stall than smoke your clutch.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to xcmountain80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBob0
Just remember that in most cases it's better to stall than smoke your clutch.

True true true
Aaron

02 4-Runner
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

I love manual transmissions... Compression braking downhill is a GOOD thing - doesn't even compare with an auto. Takes some learning and don't be timid, be bold!

2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

TLCA #14734
Blue Ribbon Coalition #36400

Calamaridog
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to JeeBar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodab
you ARE a noob....just face it
and change your avatar...its your old truck
Thanks for the info and advice, guys -- I'll listen to every one of you except the dude with the upside down truck. : ) The squishy rubber things are supposed to point DOWN, Dean...you seem to keep forgetting that with your Tacomas.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Autos are really the way to go off road but I just like the stick. I suppose the biggest disadvantage of driving a clutch off-road is the fact that you will probably wear it out a little faster than normal. However, I had 105,000 miles on my 98 Tacoma and still had the original clutch.

LIBERATE TU TEMET EX INFERIS
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

I've never wheeled an auto, so have no idea what I may or may not have been missing out on.

My first wheeling was on very rocky terrain with lots of slow speed step ups to negotiate. With practice it wasn't a problem for long, low range is a big help. I only slightly burnt my clutch once (no smoke, but the odour can make you want to cry), and that was enough to whip me into shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some chick from American Dad
It's true what they say about geologists, they're the coolest, sexiest men alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudferret
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:

you'll love it once you get used to it and with the new, lower ratio 1st the 6sps have, weee!

now, If I could just figure out how to get the new drivetrain in my '00....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudferret
I've never wheeled an auto, so have no idea what I may or may not have been missing out on.

My first wheeling was on very rocky terrain with lots of slow speed step ups to negotiate. With practice it wasn't a problem for long, low range is a big help. I only slightly burnt my clutch once (no smoke, but the odour can make you want to cry), and that was enough to whip me into shape.
I've wheeled both autos and sticks throughout the years. My preference is still the stick, although the autos, in most cases, has the stick beat. Although I've driven the 4 cylinder auto Tacoma, and it does OK...I dunno, it just don't seem right... LOL
Besides, I couldn't have gotten the locker with the auto!

I know what you mean about the smell, it's very unsettling when that aroma wafts up through the floorboards and you're 20 miles from nowhere!

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Install a thumb/hand throttle. With a stick its much easyier to start out in tricky situations, you dont need three feet, and when mounted on the shifter it's easyer to reach than the e-brake.
Rubicon Express sells one for about $30 that takes 20 minutes to install, and has all installation pieces needed.
If you have mechanical skills get a bicycle shifter with a long cable, 2 cable swedges, and make a mounting bracket for the cable adjuster.
I made one for my 99 for $14 in under an hour.

Tim
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbplus10
Install a thumb/hand throttle. With a stick its much easyier to start out in tricky situations, you dont need three feet, and when mounted on the shifter it's easyer to reach than the e-brake.
Rubicon Express sells one for about $30 that takes 20 minutes to install, and has all installation pieces needed.
If you have mechanical skills get a bicycle shifter with a long cable, 2 cable swedges, and make a mounting bracket for the cable adjuster.
I made one for my 99 for $14 in under an hour.

Tim
I met a guy in Tellico who had used a bicycle cable and mounted it to his shifter. Very ingenious and VERY clean set up. Can't remember exactly how he made the bracket...got any pics of yours?

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Banned

Here's one on a second generation 4Runner. http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/...le/oicnaic.htm
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 12:30 PM

Thanks! Saved to My Favorites for future reference.

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Crime and Punishment

I find its easier to control movement and momentum with stick

04 Taco
Locked and loaded front and rear
Budbuilts / Chevy 63" springs / 285/75/16 AT

1980 1st Gen
Detroit Front / Welded rear

NC TTORA
http://www.ncttora.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
No! If you can't understand that much I think you need to reenter the 1st grade and draw it up for yourself in crayon.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:18 PM

Well I installed a hand throtle on the stick. It has come in handy when on steep grades I can use the hand throttle to give me a higher base RPM to start and then when I let out the clutch and brake i can let back on the hand throttle with my finger. You can learn to work the peddles with a heel to tactic howefver when your boots are cloged with slick mub that is not always the easiest or safest thing to do. THe hand throttle is a big help, especially when trying to operate a winch controller at the same time as the brake, gas, clutch, stick, and winch, as well as comunicate with "critics" on the trail.

"96 Taco with to many mods. Currently awaiting a Xcab swap and flat bed.

www.canoeescape.com
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

You will get a 50% split on this no matter what group you ask. There are advantages and disadvantages of each so you wind up naming your own poison. My Tacoma has a manual tranny and I like the down hill engine braking but I am building an FJ40 buggy with a slushbox. I intend to add a lockup style torque converter and mount a switch on the dash to force lockup so I can get engine braking down hill.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Who's digging up these old threads.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...5&postcount=13

Oh, its NUKE.

Next Socal TTORA event - Big Bear - Aug 13-14
www.ttora-socal.com
SoCal TTORA on Facebook
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop
Who's digging up these old threads.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...5&postcount=13

Oh, its NUKE.
Yo bitch! Cut me some slack!!! I've been away for a while and I need to catch up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode