supercharger and spacers or coilovers, full leaf, new shocks? what would you do? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Question supercharger and spacers or coilovers, full leaf, new shocks? what would you do?

OK, I have a '01 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Ext cab, and about $3000 to spend. I almost never go off-road, but am wanting to lift the truck slightly (I'm thinking about 3 inches) to fit new BFG 285/75s on Ivan Stewart TRD rims. That being said, I am debating whether to go with Donahoe coilovers, Deaver 8 leaf, and new Bilsteins, or do I go cheap on the lift and get spacers, and use the extra for a TRD supercharger and URD fuel kit. I know that spacers will stiffen the ride, but for those that have them, is it drastically stiffer than stock? I really don't think the stock ride is too bad. Although it does tend to hop ocassionally. I would like the nice ride, but more power is always a good thing too. Also, is it required that I run premium gas with a super charger?

If this were you, what would you do??? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

I can't speak about the donahoe's and deavers since I only have a spacer and add a leaf. I have always had this type of lift and never felt the difference was that much over stock. and that is with progressive front coils. the way I feel about it is this "it's a truck" if you want a caddy ride, go buy a caddy!

With that being said, I did add a supercharger with my spacer lift and love my truck with the added power. But I am not the type that goes to every light looking to pick on every ricer I see. I just like the added power which is also going to help when I finish with my SAS.

But only you can decide if you want a smooth ride over power. If it were me, I would do what I did all over again, except maybe go straight to a solid axle instead of a shorter lift. Because one you start lifting, you will never be tall enough or be able to flex as much as you want to.

BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

If you almost never go offroad, start with the S/C and URD kit. That will eat up most of your budget, but you will be happy with your very capable, very fast Taco. If you get a lift and tires just for the looks, you will still be wanting the S/C. Especially if you jump to 285/75/16 tires. That is a big enough tire size jump from stock to justify regearing, and since you're looking at Ivan Stewart wheels and arguably the best suspension lift available, I doubt you'll find lift+tires+wheels plus regearing for under $3000. Others may dissagree, but I would rather have a truck that looks like a lab and runs like a cheetah, than a truck that looks like a rotweiler and runs like a pregnant hippo.

2002 V6, X-Cab,TRD SUPERCHARGER, IK22 plugs, URD 2.0" pulley, URD 7th injector kit w/ AFR Calibrator, TRD Headers, TRD Cat-Back, AEM Brute Force w/ Dryflow, ported & polished throtle body, URD Crankshaft pulley, 4.56 Motiv gears, ARB RD-90 locker, 255/85/16 TRXuS MT's, DR Coilovers, Camburg UCA, Skyjacker 2.5" leaf springs, Wheeler's SS rear brakeline, Bilstien 5100's, on board air
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathegood
If you almost never go offroad, start with the S/C and URD kit. That will eat up most of your budget, but you will be happy with your very capable, very fast Taco. If you get a lift and tires just for the looks, you will still be wanting the S/C. Especially if you jump to 285/75/16 tires. That is a big enough tire size jump from stock to justify regearing, and since you're looking at Ivan Stewart wheels and arguably the best suspension lift available, I doubt you'll find lift+tires+wheels plus regearing for under $3000. Others may dissagree, but I would rather have a truck that looks like a lab and runs like a cheetah, than a truck that looks like a rotweiler and runs like a pregnant hippo.

Great analogies!! Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

if you really don't go off-roading often...go witht he spacer lift...i have it on TRD coils..which stiffen up ur ride like crazy..but i have no clue what everyone is talking about because i feel my truck rides a lot smoother....on and off...save the money and go with the spacers lift than the supercharger and so on....tires can always wait...since you don't off-road as much....

Donahoes will be great with the deavers combo...but they are more of a desert running use....it all depends on what you decide to do with ur tacoma!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 12:11 AM
THAT guy.

Send a message via Yahoo to SAR_Squid79
I am in the same boat. I have about $3000 to put into my truck for right now. I am planning on a ToyTec 3" Spacer Lift, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, TRD Headers, a Cat-Back system (not sure which one yet), the TRD automatic Trans Cooler, and the Demello Rock Sliders. I know that I will be coming up on another $3000 in December, and I was going to use that to get my S/C and TRD 7th injector kit.
Does this seem pretty sound?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR_Squid79
I am in the same boat. I have about $3000 to put into my truck for right now. I am planning on a ToyTec 3" Spacer Lift, Flex-A-Lite Dual Electric Fan, TRD Headers, a Cat-Back system (not sure which one yet), the TRD automatic Trans Cooler, and the Demello Rock Sliders. I know that I will be coming up on another $3000 in December, and I was going to use that to get my S/C and TRD 7th injector kit.
Does this seem pretty sound?
No it doesn't seem pretty sound IMO. Get the super charger and fuel mods or seventh injector first!!! I put the headers and cat-back on my truck with the intent of doing the S/C later, and have regretted it ever since. Don't count on money in December. If you really want the S/C, do it while you have the money, because all that other stuff is cheap in comparison on a piece by piece basis. If you wheel it hard and need a lift that's one thing, but these trucks are damn capable in stock form. Headers and cat-back do provide some performance gain, but the price per pony ratio is horrible compaired to the supercharger. And I guaranty that having a supercharged truck with stock suspension will put a much bigger smile on your face evertime you mash the accelerator than spacers, headers, cat-back, and electric fan ever will.

2002 V6, X-Cab,TRD SUPERCHARGER, IK22 plugs, URD 2.0" pulley, URD 7th injector kit w/ AFR Calibrator, TRD Headers, TRD Cat-Back, AEM Brute Force w/ Dryflow, ported & polished throtle body, URD Crankshaft pulley, 4.56 Motiv gears, ARB RD-90 locker, 255/85/16 TRXuS MT's, DR Coilovers, Camburg UCA, Skyjacker 2.5" leaf springs, Wheeler's SS rear brakeline, Bilstien 5100's, on board air
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode