best air filter - Page 2 - TTORA Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Going John Galt
 
hytenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Norcal
Posts: 31,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Sooo... since you won't be needing yer fipk element(s) any longer...
can I have one ?


I had 10 years on my original fipk element...
and then I found it had dry rotted some on the underside.
Likely due to leaving it in the same mounting position all the time.
With specific pleated material at the underside.

I learned... that's not a good idea...
and that anytime I might clean it now...
I change it so the lower side pleats would be turned up from the bottom
and give it a better chance of allowing any accumulated moisture
to dry out.
I now rotate it on occasion... even if no maintenance is required.

K&N sent me a new element free and no charge for shipping.
Sooo... I'm sure I'm good for at least another 10 years.

But it sure would be nice to have a spare
for the end of the weekend's trail dust and the ride home

What say you Chris ?

================================

BTW... I think these fipk elements work purdy damn good...
If'n you know how to use them correctly...
and realize they filter better when left on the dirty side.

I think most folk over maintain them and over oil them...
and that's where they go wrong.

The drop in K&N's are another story...
as the pleat holes on those are larger... and there are less of them
Not the same beast as the fipk's element by any means.
Another drawback is that the filter pleat surface is too close in line
with the maf... and any over oiling there...
And the maf and intake tube are coated with the crap.

My fipk and it's element have always kept the maf and intake tube
just as clean (or cleaner) then when I used the stock air box and the oem fuzzy.
I checked that myself while testing real world conditions
swapping between the AB/DPM and the fipk.

To the nekid eye... the fuzzy allowed more talc into the intake...
then did my properly oiled fipk element.

So... fark the hater's and the sheeple with their paranoid science...
Change oil more frequently... and quit yer whining
sure...will cost you shipping.
I had two...threw one away that was just worn out but still have the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:53 PM
truck ~n~ tow
 
TacoDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hemet/SoCal
Posts: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
sure...will cost you shipping.
I had two...threw one away that was just worn out but still have the other.
purrrfect... PM'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline  
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Senior Member
 
PismoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
Posts: 347
Wainiha I have the "drycharger" prefilter on mine. You would probably like it since you're on the beach a lot over there, thats why I got mine. Sand flakes off instead of sticking to the oil on the filter.

Dell I like what you're saying except the MAF is still pretty close with the FIPK setup. I believe the over oiling is the issue with that, not distance of the MAF from the filter element.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
I just got a replacement cone for my FIPK from AFE. Its a little smaller than the old K&N but that won't make any difference to this motor. Their Pro-Dry line uses no oil and is supposed to filter 99.2%... we'll see. I like the idea of having a cleanable filter with no oil.
That's what I'm saying! let me know how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoJoe View Post
I like the idea of a "dry" cleanable filter, so I might give that a go next time around.
PismoJoe is offline  
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM
truck ~n~ tow
 
TacoDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hemet/SoCal
Posts: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoJoe View Post
Dell I like what you're saying except the MAF is still pretty close with the FIPK setup. I believe the over oiling is the issue with that, not distance of the MAF from the filter element.
Well... over oiling obviously won't make matters better...
But the fipk... is slightly farther from the maf location.
And intake suction thru the pleats is not in a direct line to the maf.
In the case of the drop in... air flow is a straight line


I've used the drop in K&N for my oem AB (w/DP) in the past.
and I'm purdy good about allowing the element the time to wick properly
and avoid over oiling them.

But no matter... when the drop in element was installed
The maf, as well the intake tube's interior, would always end up
with a fine, light coat of oil/residue... and acted like a magnet for any
fine talc that may have passed thru.

I've never had similar issue with my fipk element,
that I had with the drop in element.

I won't run a K&N drop in with my oem AB
and will only use a dry filter if my AB is installed.

* just my experience with 'dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline  
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Going John Galt
 
hytenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Norcal
Posts: 31,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by PismoJoe View Post
That's what I'm saying! let me know how it works out.
AFE pt# 21-50505
replaces the FIPK for the 2.7 Tacoma
5" inlet opening, 5" tall, 6.5" wide cone type

they do sell pre-filters for this size but I adapted the K&N dry-soc that I already had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline  
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Well... over oiling obviously won't make matters better...
But the fipk... is slightly farther from the maf location.
And intake suction thru the pleats is not in a direct line to the maf.
In the case of the drop in... air flow is a straight line


I've used the drop in K&N for my oem AB (w/DP) in the past.
and I'm purdy good about allowing the element the time to wick properly
and avoid over oiling them.

But no matter... when the drop in element was installed
The maf, as well the intake tube's interior, would always end up
with a fine, light coat of oil/residue... and acted like a magnet for any
fine talc that may have passed thru.

I've never had similar issue with my fipk element,
that I had with the drop in element.

I won't run a K&N drop in with my oem AB
and will only use a dry filter if my AB is installed.

* just my experience with 'dem
i think its easy to say using any oil base filter, drop in or full system its good to clean out your maf every now and then regardless. Im thinking of giving my K&N to a buddy for a present, and buying a drop in AFE dry filter, then doing the AB mod to allow more air in.

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
truck ~n~ tow
 
TacoDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hemet/SoCal
Posts: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
i think its easy to say using any oil base filter, drop in or full system its good to clean out your maf every now and then regardless. Im thinking of giving my K&N to a buddy for a present, and buying a drop in AFE dry filter, then doing the AB mod to allow more air in.
Then I'll make suggestion...

disconnect or close off the intake that goes thru/into the fender well
regardless of which filter you choose to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline  
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 418
Send a message via AIM to jaemory88
What is the "ad" mod and why would you close off the intake from the fender well. Is the intake system location the same for 2.7 and 3.4

96 2.7L Ext. cab 4x4
4.56 Locked F & R
Factory 4 Runner 16s
255/85R 16 KM2s
Brush Guard w/ Hella 500s
Build-Up
jaemory88 is offline  
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
truck ~n~ tow
 
TacoDell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hemet/SoCal
Posts: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemory88 View Post
What is the "ad" mod and why would you close off the intake from the fender well. Is the intake system location the same for 2.7 and 3.4
I don't know what a "ad" mod is...

But "AB" translates to "air box"...
and the AB commonly gets customized with a "DP" (Deck Plate mod)
^ which is a secondary intake hole... with removable lid.

Search: deck plate mod

The reason to eliminate the intake at the fender well
is because... tho' cooler air is obtained at that wheel well intake...
It also tends to suck up more fine dust/talc from the tires churning that up
on real dusty trails.
^ closing that off... would allow your filter longer life...
by only sucking air from the engine compartment, nearer the front of the truck.

Tho' if yer the type whom tails close to the guys ass in front of you...
there will still be plenty of dust to suck up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootn2nature View Post
so fuck off you little 18 yr old lying ass punk.
'00 Taco SR5, xtrcab, V6, 5-SP, 4X, and some extras...

Truck...
~n~ ...off road action photo's
Trailer...

Truck build --- Trailer build
TacoDell is offline  
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
mustangstephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: by the creek
Posts: 258
I've got the K&N "cold" air kit on both my Toyotas. Both installed by the PO. I love the maybe once a year cleaning. Thinking about buying a spare paper filter to try once especially on the Taco. Only problem is the Taco threw the P0420 and it started with the PO as the factory cats were gone when I got it. I think they might be related. Changed the MAS air sensor already so I know its good.

A little off topic but some k&n info none the less. I bought one for my 4 wheeler. It is definitely a k&n I regret buying. Restricts air flow enough to create rich a/f mixture and makes for problems starting. Starts fine without it. It's coming off soon. Like I said, I know it doesn't belong here but since we're on the k&n topic I'll share. Maybe it will be usefull to someone.

02 Tacoma TRD, 01 4Runner Sport, 67 Mustang
mustangstephen is offline  
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
Then I'll make suggestion...

disconnect or close off the intake that goes thru/into the fender well
regardless of which filter you choose to use.
hmm, i was actually thinking about doing the "elbow" mod if thats what they call it, where you just remove that fender piece all together to let in cooler air from the fender area... Have done the DP mod twice and i'm getting lazy at my old age of 28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemory88 View Post
What is the "ad" mod and why would you close off the intake from the fender well. Is the intake system location the same for 2.7 and 3.4
Deck plate mod, and no, the 2.7 and 3.4 have intakes in difference areas as to how they hook up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I don't know what a "ad" mod is...

But "AB" translates to "air box"...
and the AB commonly gets customized with a "DP" (Deck Plate mod)
^ which is a secondary intake hole... with removable lid.

Search: deck plate mod

The reason to eliminate the intake at the fender well
is because... tho' cooler air is obtained at that wheel well intake...
It also tends to suck up more fine dust/talc from the tires churning that up
on real dusty trails.
^ closing that off... would allow your filter longer life...
by only sucking air from the engine compartment, nearer the front of the truck.

Tho' if yer the type whom tails close to the guys ass in front of you...
there will still be plenty of dust to suck up.
yea i didn't know if i wanted to do the DP mod or the elbow thingy, so i just said AB -air box. this is a street queen and light off-roading maybe for camping in the summer so trails aren't an issue. Good info to know tho, thanks mr. dell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangstephen View Post
I've got the K&N "cold" air kit on both my Toyotas. Both installed by the PO. I love the maybe once a year cleaning. Thinking about buying a spare paper filter to try once especially on the Taco. Only problem is the Taco threw the P0420 and it started with the PO as the factory cats were gone when I got it. I think they might be related. Changed the MAS air sensor already so I know its good.

A little off topic but some k&n info none the less. I bought one for my 4 wheeler. It is definitely a k&n I regret buying. Restricts air flow enough to create rich a/f mixture and makes for problems starting. Starts fine without it. It's coming off soon. Like I said, I know it doesn't belong here but since we're on the k&n topic I'll share. Maybe it will be usefull to someone.
If the Mas was replaced with an aftermarket piece, the oil on the K&N will cause it to run rich and not properly. K&N doesn't recommend using aftermarket sensors with their products. Switch to a dry based filter if using aftermarket sensors.

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
mustangstephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: by the creek
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
If the Mas was replaced with an aftermarket piece, the oil on the K&N will cause it to run rich and not properly. K&N doesn't recommend using aftermarket sensors with their products. Switch to a dry based filter if using aftermarket sensors.
Just a replacement from advance. looked identical. Does that count as after market?

02 Tacoma TRD, 01 4Runner Sport, 67 Mustang
mustangstephen is offline  
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangstephen View Post
Just a replacement from advance. looked identical. Does that count as after market?
if it doesn't have a toyota part number on it then yes. We sell after market performance ones at my work, but again thats where i run into tech calls where people have issues running oil based air filters. Its weird, some have issues with K&N, others dont .

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
mustangstephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: by the creek
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
if it doesn't have a toyota part number on it then yes. We sell after market performance ones at my work, but again thats where i run into tech calls where people have issues running oil based air filters. Its weird, some have issues with K&N, others dont .
Idk what the p/n is. I get 18.5+ hwy mpg (sometimes 20) though with 10 ply tires and my lil lift. I'm not changing anything out that may make me loose that. I'm just getting the O2 simulator for my cat code. Hopefully soon I'll find a paper filter I can slap on the k&n tube. Then I'll know for sure.

Oh and the 4Runner doesn't throw any codes nock on wood. Threw the P9420 once 3 weeks ago. Cleared it and hasn't been back sense.

02 Tacoma TRD, 01 4Runner Sport, 67 Mustang
mustangstephen is offline  
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangstephen View Post
Idk what the p/n is. I get 18.5+ hwy mpg (sometimes 20) though with 10 ply tires and my lil lift. I'm not changing anything out that may make me loose that. I'm just getting the O2 simulator for my cat code. Hopefully soon I'll find a paper filter I can slap on the k&n tube. Then I'll know for sure.

Oh and the 4Runner doesn't throw any codes nock on wood. Threw the P9420 once 3 weeks ago. Cleared it and hasn't been back sense.
cross ur fingers

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
jmoss13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 578
i've been using the AFE pro dry and it has worked great. easy to clean and no oil to mess around with. Seems to be doing a great job so far.

2003 Tacoma Ext. Cab TRD 4X4
TC LT w/ King CO and bypass, Deavers, ALLPRO Sliders, Skid Row T-case Skid, BFG 33x10.5 Mud's on 15x7 Soft 8's

2006 Tundra Dbl Cab
Stock for now
jmoss13 is offline  
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss13 View Post
i've been using the AFE pro dry and it has worked great. easy to clean and no oil to mess around with. Seems to be doing a great job so far.
yea, im going to throw one on soon. look what happens when you look up the AFE pro filter on amazon for a 01 v6 taco. Note which two products they say people by together with this filter...

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-31-10013-A...2001&carId=004

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 418
Send a message via AIM to jaemory88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
yea, im going to throw one on soon. look what happens when you look up the AFE pro filter on amazon for a 01 v6 taco. Note which two products they say people by together with this filter...

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-31-10013-A...2001&carId=004
Thats pretty funny.. the ol' deck plate. I think that was the first thing I ever modified on my truck besides the Alpine Cd player. Slightly louder never could tell much difference.

96 2.7L Ext. cab 4x4
4.56 Locked F & R
Factory 4 Runner 16s
255/85R 16 KM2s
Brush Guard w/ Hella 500s
Build-Up
jaemory88 is offline  
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemory88 View Post
Thats pretty funny.. the ol' deck plate. I think that was the first thing I ever modified on my truck besides the Alpine Cd player. Slightly louder never could tell much difference.
if you were running the 4cyl with a stock air filter you wouldn't see much improvement. But with the V6 and a K&N i've felt a slight increase in acceleration.

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss13 View Post
i've been using the AFE pro dry and it has worked great. easy to clean and no oil to mess around with. Seems to be doing a great job so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
yea, im going to throw one on soon. look what happens when you look up the AFE pro filter on amazon for a 01 v6 taco. Note which two products they say people by together with this filter...

http://www.amazon.com/aFe-31-10013-A...2001&carId=004
I know this is a few weeks old but I've been running an aFe pro dry S for a year or more now. No problems at all, I just vacuum clean mine as they recommend, done.
Beejis60 is offline  
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Hawaii's Damage Control
 
me_tu05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: hawaii
Posts: 1,026
I had a K&N on my 05 taco for a while. That went in the trash after the first time I cleaned it. The intake tube had dirt all over the inside. It wasn't worth it to me, so I put the stock air cleaner back on.

94 SC300 She boogies
86 4runner turbo diesel swap Now has a 1UZ
me_tu05 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injen Hydro Shield Cone Filter Pre Filter DreamMachine Early Tacoma Tech 0 06-24-2010 08:41 AM
Removing carbon filter above air filter GMAK Late Tacoma Tech 6 02-27-2008 06:47 PM
Amsoil Air Filter and Airraid intake/filter setup Bones Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 17 12-04-2006 07:59 PM
Amsoil Air Filter or True Flow Air Filter Toydad Performance/Engine/Exhaust 7 06-28-2006 03:51 PM
UNI Foam Filter wrap on K&N FIPK Filter 03trdblack Early Tacoma Tech 16 12-14-2004 06:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome