IPT Valve Body Upgrade - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
THAT guy.

Send a message via Yahoo to SAR_Squid79
Thumbs up IPT Valve Body Upgrade

First of all, I would like to let everyone know about the outstanding customer service I received from John at IPT Performance Transmissions. Please take a minute to read THIS OTHER POST. I have never received such awesome customer service!

Now - for those of you who may not know - All of our trucks (With A/T) come from the factory with what is known as "Luxury Shifting". This makes driving more pleasant and comfortable for the masses of consumers who don't know any better. The Valve Body Upgrade modifies your existing Valve Body for high performance operation and eliminates this "luxury shifting" and replaces it with faster, more firm shifting. This upgrade is neccessary to prolong the life of your transmission, ESPECIALLY if you are running a Supercharger, as it prevents slipping, or even stripping gears. As IPT says - the upgrade will take you from Mild to Wild!

The removal and install is, as my dad would say, "Like falling off a bicycle". You really can't screw it up. I was a little nervous b/c I've never messed with transmissions before. As long as you follow THESE INSTRUCTIONS and use THESE PICS as a guide you should be fine. But here are a few things that aren't mentioned in the instructions or pics that would have helped me out:
  • On pre 2001 Tacomas you DO NOT need to remove the sway bar. (2001-2004 Tacomas have a deeper tranny pan that neccessitates removal of the sway bar.)
  • You don't have to remove the solenoids from the VB when you send it to IPT. It's fine to leave them on the VB. (then you don't have to worry about which one goes where, when you get your VB back)
  • Draw a rough diagram of the VB and take note of which bolts go where. There are about 20 bolts of 3 different lengths, and it DOES matter where they go when you reinstall the upgraded VB.
  • A box of rubber gloves will be your best friend.
  • A face shield is also a good idea, b/c even though you drain the tranny pan before you drop it you are always facing up, and constantly getting rained on by ATF.
  • There is about a quart of ATF in, and behind the VB, and as soon as you remove the last bolt, it will all pour down on you instantly.
  • ATF does not taste good, it does not feel good in your eyes, it will not come out of your clothes, but it will moisturize your skin, scalp, and hair pretty good.
  • When refilling the transmission after you reinstall your upgraded VB, be careful not to overfill. Add about 4 quarts, drive for a few miles, add more ATF as needed and repeat until the fluid level is correct and stable. (I was NOT careful and initially overfilled the tranny and wasted about 3 quarts of expensive AMSOIL ATF)

The only tools you need are:
  • 1/4" drive ratchet, with 4" extension.
  • 1/4" drive torque wrench (in inch lbs)
  • 10mm socket (all the bolts on the VB, and Tranny Pan are 10mm)
  • 12mm socket (for the bolt on the dipstick tube)
  • 14mm socket (Tranny Pan drain plug)
  • Magnetic parts tray
  • Corless drill (to remove and reinstall all the bolts around the pan DO NOT USE THE DRILL FOR THE BOLTS ON THE VB)
  • About 9 qts of ATF. (AMSOIL sells a 2.5 gallon (10 qt) jug that is perfect)
  • A HAND PUMP for refilling the Tranny.

If you are considering getting your Valve Body Upgraded I highly reccommend IPT Performance Transmissions. They are extremely knowlegeable, have amazing customer service, and have the best price I found for this service. In this case I can't imagine how paying more could have gotten me more, ESPECIALLY considering the customer service I got from IPT.

IPT = $495 + Shipping
Level 10 = $698 + Shipping

~Jamie
2000 Tacoma TRD 4WD PreRunner
Supercharged. Locked. Armored.

Mountain: She can crawl it.
Ass: She can haul it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need . . . roads."
~Dr. Emmett L. Brown

My Rig My Trailer 4xInnovations

Last edited by SAR_Squid79; 11-06-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:54 PM

how many miles are on your tranny now? I need to do this ASAP!!! Great write up too, and thx for the "extras" in removing the VB. Its writeups like these that make things go soo much smoother when others need to do it. How's it shifting and feeling now?

2001 Tacoma TRD, & 2000, 1999, 1997 Toyota 4Runners -all are 5spd 4x4 v6 with saw's / ome suspension.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:58 PM

Mind sharing some more of your thoughts?

How is daily driving partial throttle shifting compared to stock.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
THAT guy.

The shifting is AWESOME!

It's smooth, yet fast and firm. When it shifts, the truck lurches forward like the feeling of someone speed shifting a manual transmission. Much better than the feeling of the "luxury shift" where you feel like you're falling back every time the tranny shifts. I've been driving it all day, and I'm still not used to the new feel. ...and it feels like that every time it shifts (including daily driving partial throttle). Not just WOT.

I have 75K on my transmission, but when I drained the pan, the fluid coming out looked brand new. When I cleaned the pan, the magnets had nothing on them. They hardly needed cleaning. If you think you need the upgrade get it before it's too late!

~Jamie

~Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Last edited by SAR_Squid79; 11-03-2005 at 06:33 PM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM

So... Say for example I was giving my grandma a ride to church. There is no way that the truck would shift smoothly. Im not knocking it I am just trying to get a full grasp on what I am in for.

Another thing.
Any noticable difference with/without ECT on? In stock trim I can hardly tell the difference.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
THAT guy.

You know - I have not even tried the ECT yet...

Sorry if I was misleading - the shift is definitely very smooth, it's just faster and more firm. Not enough to throw you around in your seat, especially when driving normally on your way to church with granny. When the tranny down-shifts I can't even tell a difference. The down-shift still feels pretty soft.

Lead foot tested! -

Granny approved! -

~Jamie

~Dr. Emmett L. Brown

post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR_Squid79
You know - I have not even tried the ECT yet...

Sorry if I was misleading - the shift is definitely very smooth, it's just faster and more firm. Not enough to throw you around in your seat, especially when driving normally on your way to church with granny. When the tranny down-shifts I can't even tell a difference. The down-shift still feels pretty soft.

Lead foot tested! -

Granny approved! -

Thanks for the kind words Jamie.

I put up some tech info on the VB mod (i.e., dusted off an old article) here:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=19955

-John
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Smile A little extra imput for future VB removal/installation

I know that this is an old thread, but I just wanted to send a big Thanks to sar squid79 fo doing this write up. Its write ups like this one that make intimidating projects like taking apart your transmission more tamable. and I wanted to add a few small things that might help out future searchers.

#1 is I dont know how anyone could do this without, atleast a rough cardboard drawling of what bolts go where. when taking apart mine a used a marker to sketch out my VB on the blank side of a coors light box and put little dots where all the bolts go. Then when I pulled one out of the VB I punched it through the cordinating dot on the piece of cardboard. The bolts will stay in place unitll you are ready for installation.

#2 is if you are a dipshit like myself and you are in a hurry and you strip out the threads on the transmission casing for the oil pan bolts your not completly out of luck. The threads in the casing go in about 1.25" and the stock bolts are only mabe 1/2". Go get a longer bolt, put some locktite on it, get it in there to the last 5 or 6 threads and you are good to go.

2004 TRD DCAB,
TRD STUFF & URD STUFF,
SAC W/ D44 HP & CRANE STUFF.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
THAT guy.

Thumbs up Good Thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacocharger04
#1 is I dont know how anyone could do this without, atleast a rough cardboard drawling of what bolts go where. when taking apart mine a used a marker to sketch out my VB on the blank side of a coors light box and put little dots where all the bolts go. Then when I pulled one out of the VB I punched it through the cordinating dot on the piece of cardboard. The bolts will stay in place unitll you are ready for installation.
That's good thinking! I wish I had thought of that! That's way simpler than measuring and recording each bolt.

I know what you mean about this being a nerve-wracking job. My asshole was puckered pretty tight when I was all by myself under my truck taking apart my transmission!

~Jamie

~Dr. Emmett L. Brown

Last edited by SAR_Squid79; 03-30-2007 at 09:31 PM.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

I used the card board method too. I learned that one a long time ago when I took something apart and couldn't put it back together...

BTW, I just did my Valvebody upgrade the same time that I had my transmission out to replace the flexplate. I've got some problems with mine that I can't figure out. There is a lot of resistance when accelerating. I also lost reverse after driving it around the block a couple of times. I can't even push the truck backwards when it's in neutral now. Talk about being pissed off!
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 AM

Longevity Feedback:

I've had this mod since 2003 and it is still going strong. The shifts are a little snappy for the first few weeks but after the break-in period they settle to a firm positive engagement. It is very acceptable for daily driving.

This mod along with the TRD tranny cooler, inline filter and friction modifier are the best upgrades you could ever do to your transmission. I can also attest the super customer service by John at IPT.

RJM

2003 Tacoma D-cab – R.I.P.

2011 Tacoma D-cab SR5 V6 4X4

Mods:
-URD MK II 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
-Camburg 2.5 Coil-overs (front)
-Bilstein 5100's (rear)
-Alcan 8-stack Leaf Springs
-Demello Rock Sliders
-Defiant Light Bar
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Super Charger problems

I decided to upgrade my TRD supercharger with URD's upgrade kit. I also have a K&N cold intake installed. Every so often my motor just looses power for a few seconds, usually while on the interstate and normal cruising speeds, and them comes back to life. I also am tired of waiting for the magic 4000 RPM to hit before the ECU will allow the engine the full fuel it is craving. Can anyone help? Should I reinstall the factory air intake? Or what?
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsyone View Post
I decided to upgrade my TRD supercharger with URD's upgrade kit. I also have a K&N cold intake installed. Every so often my motor just looses power for a few seconds, usually while on the interstate and normal cruising speeds, and them comes back to life. I also am tired of waiting for the magic 4000 RPM to hit before the ECU will allow the engine the full fuel it is craving. Can anyone help? Should I reinstall the factory air intake? Or what?
the trd supercharger is the single most poorly designed system toyota ever did, or should i say contracted. In order for it to run correctly, you have to do a host of mods, even then your pumping extremely hot air into an already hot motor which no matter how much time and energy you spend tuning and such, it still sucks.

If you want boost, the only efficent way to do it is by turbo, and there are couple kits available which still produce the same, if not more power than the stupidcharger. check out squires turbo kits for the tacomas. cool boosted air is the best way to boost.

2001 Tacoma TRD, & 2000, 1999, 1997 Toyota 4Runners -all are 5spd 4x4 v6 with saw's / ome suspension.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks J-Man. I have to agree with you on the design. I am beginning to believe that Toyota's desire to be efficient is winning the battle. I can't afford to go with a turbo charger kit now becuase I am already so deep into this set up. URD offers a water mist injector system which I may just have to install too. I just want the thing to move!
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:07 AM

SWEET, thats just the kind of mod i'm looking for! i just got off the phone and ty said the cost would be 575. sounds like its a good deal if it improves the shift quality.

04 tacoma 4x4 supercharged,3" revtex,custom hoodscoop, bud built trackbar, eletric cooling fan, sliders, wetokole seat covers,K n N filter, TRD exhaust, TRD headers, TRD oil cap, e locker mod, deck plate mod, 16x9 axis wheels, 275 75 16 BFG's a/t
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsyone View Post
i had the same problem on my 04, the dealer replaced the throttle body and the ecu to fix it, it has an eletronic throttle and it would just drop out from time to time, like you let up on the gas pedal, also did it on accel some times to. havent had a problem sence they fixed it.

04 tacoma 4x4 supercharged,3" revtex,custom hoodscoop, bud built trackbar, eletric cooling fan, sliders, wetokole seat covers,K n N filter, TRD exhaust, TRD headers, TRD oil cap, e locker mod, deck plate mod, 16x9 axis wheels, 275 75 16 BFG's a/t
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstoy View Post
SWEET, thats just the kind of mod i'm looking for! i just got off the phone and ty said the cost would be 575. sounds like its a good deal if it improves the shift quality.
It improves the shift quality but IPT's customer service has gone down hill.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEMAN23 View Post
It improves the shift quality but IPT's customer service has gone down hill.
I hate to bring back an old thread but what is wrong with there customer service? and have they improved on it? I am getting ready to get my valve body reworked..

04 Tacoma Double Cab caged, long traveled, linked, and S/C'd
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerguy View Post
I hate to bring back an old thread but what is wrong with there customer service? and have they improved on it? I am getting ready to get my valve body reworked..
Their quality of work is still there, but they weren't that friendly with me. Long story short, they misplaced my VB and I was without it for about a week. I then had problems w\my trans after installing the VB and had to buy a new one. This wasn't because of the VB, but because I waited until it was too late to do the VB mod. My trans was already fried.

Anyhow, I had doubts that my modified VB would be compatible with my new replacement trans and tried calling John MANY times without any response. I ended up just installing it and it worked w/out any problems.
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM

Those of you interested in the IPT VB mod, I suggest you read through the following thread. You can do half the mod yourself by simply placing shims or rods within the shift accumulators:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ghlight=tranny

I did this successfully with shims and got great results. The downshifts chirp the tires, and break loose completely giving gas through the slightest turns. The upshifts could use more help. It reduced the time between the first and second shift, but it is still sluggish. The next time I open the VB I will place rods within the springs - as several members have already done with outstanding results.

The cost? A couple hours, a couple bucks for the shims, and the average cost for 6 quarts of tranny fluid. In comparison to $500 plus shipping and down time? No thanks.

2007 FJ Cruiser 6 MT AWD

SOLD 2000 Sport Edition TRD Supercharged
Baseline 2.1" Pulley No Tune:
246 RWHP & 282 RWTQ
6 second 0-60
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Their quality of work is still there, but they weren't that friendly with me. Long story short, they misplaced my VB and I was without it for about a week. I then had problems w\my trans after installing the VB and had to buy a new one. This wasn't because of the VB, but because I waited until it was too late to do the VB mod. My trans was already fried.

Anyhow, I had doubts that my modified VB would be compatible with my new replacement trans and tried calling John MANY times without any response. I ended up just installing it and it worked w/out any problems.
Hi,

Please refresh my memory- I can't recall ever misplacing anyone's valve body. Typically, they are not ever here for more than 24 hours. I surely feel that I would remember that one took a week because it got lost.

Could UPS / FedEx have misplaced it and caused this delay?

Also, I'm sorry that you feel that I didn't get back to you, I don't really recall that either.

In any case, we normally don't recommend swapping the valve bodies from one trans to another- there are many subtle variations that make interchange unreliable. I'm glad to see that it seems to have worked out OK.

-John
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transdude View Post
Hi,

Please refresh my memory- I can't recall ever misplacing anyone's valve body. Typically, they are not ever here for more than 24 hours. I surely feel that I would remember that one took a week because it got lost.

Could UPS / FedEx have misplaced it and caused this delay?

Also, I'm sorry that you feel that I didn't get back to you, I don't really recall that either.

In any case, we normally don't recommend swapping the valve bodies from one trans to another- there are many subtle variations that make interchange unreliable. I'm glad to see that it seems to have worked out OK.

-John
John,

It was shipped via UPS and I believe a shop near yours accepted the delivery. That's what I was told anyway. I suppose that it's not fair to hold you to blame on that one.

However, I had a few questions in regards to swapping TB's between transmissions and I left numerous messages w\the other John in your shop without any call backs from you. Lucky enough I guess my VB was compatible because it worked. I also had questions in regards to the shift quality after the installation but you never returned those phone calls either. Thanks for the follow-up.

Last edited by KANEMAN23; 04-21-2008 at 08:47 AM.
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSVeilside View Post
Those of you interested in the IPT VB mod, I suggest you read through the following thread. You can do half the mod yourself by simply placing shims or rods within the shift accumulators:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...ghlight=tranny

I did this successfully with shims and got great results. The downshifts chirp the tires, and break loose completely giving gas through the slightest turns. The upshifts could use more help. It reduced the time between the first and second shift, but it is still sluggish. The next time I open the VB I will place rods within the springs - as several members have already done with outstanding results.

The cost? A couple hours, a couple bucks for the shims, and the average cost for 6 quarts of tranny fluid. In comparison to $500 plus shipping and down time? No thanks.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if John would tell us how many hours he works on each of VB that is sent to him? I bet he can turn them out in less then a couple of hours = $250 per hour??

I realize IPT is a business and they had time\money invested into R&D to recover, but I've always thought $500 was too steep for a glorified shift kit. BUT until now that $500 mod was better than the alternative of smoking your clutch packs.
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I wonder if John would tell us how many hours he works on each of VB that is sent to him? I bet he can turn them out in less then a couple of hours = $250 per hour??

I realize IPT is a business and they had time\money invested into R&D to recover, but I've always thought $500 was too steep for a glorified shift kit. BUT until now that $500 mod was better than the alternative of smoking your clutch packs.
It is not necessary for John to explain the details of his business. The VB upgrade served its purpose for this community until now.

I just heard back from a member on customtacos that placed rods in the accumulators. The upshift from first to second gear is instant. He chirps 37" tires on that shift. I'll be doing aluminum rods next.

2007 FJ Cruiser 6 MT AWD

SOLD 2000 Sport Edition TRD Supercharged
Baseline 2.1" Pulley No Tune:
246 RWHP & 282 RWTQ
6 second 0-60
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSVeilside View Post
It is not necessary for John to explain the details of his business. The VB upgrade served its purpose for this community until now.

I just heard back from a member on customtacos that placed rods in the accumulators. The upshift from first to second gear is instant. He chirps 37" tires on that shift. I'll be doing aluminum rods next.

You're correct, John doesn't have to explain anything. I think he does good work, but it's my opinion that we probably paid too much. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I read the forum last night and was suprised that someone was able to find a fix. I've got a stock VB at home that I may try this on if I get bored. Thanks for the info again.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:48 AM

Valve bodies not interchangable???? That is a crock. Typically the company that supllies/builds the trans out sources the valvebodies. They are not matched to a tranny. I can understand not wanting to slap a used on that may be junk or had metal through it. But to say they are not interchangable is not correct.

I have not had a Toyota V/B apart yet. In a typical "shift kit" they install larger accumilator piston(s) and stiffer springs. That amounts to about $10 worth of parts. Some applications are easy and the piston is a direct fit. Others have to be machined which takes more time, skill, and extra cleaning. Assuming the Toyota requires maching to cost $500.

2006 Tacoma TRD-Sport
2011 BMW Z4 35is
2011 Ford Raptor (on order)
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

I sent my valve body to IPT yesterday we will see how it goes..

04 Tacoma Double Cab caged, long traveled, linked, and S/C'd
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Smoked Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Valve bodies not interchangable???? That is a crock.
In theory, you are correct, but think about the production of our trucks spanning 9 years or so. Things change. Parts become obsolete. Technology advances. Companies go out of business. There are a million reasons things on a particular vehicle may not be interchangeable. I know for a fact that my 04 tranny or VB is not interchangeable with an earlier model truck.

Quote:
You're correct, John doesn't have to explain anything. I think he does good work, but it's my opinion that we probably paid too much. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I read the forum last night and was suprised that someone was able to find a fix. I've got a stock VB at home that I may try this on if I get bored. Thanks for the info again.
Now about 500 being too much,… To me that is just BS. Sorry to sound negative towards your statement here but when it comes to specialized work, it is worth what people are willing to pay. I could tell you that Level10 was asking twice that for years. You have to think about it this way, IPT is a business. They have to make money to stay alive.

I am not one to pay for anything I can do myself. I have taken my vehicles to a mechanic maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. Other than that, I have pretty much done everything myself. I will be the first to admit that at times I paid more than I would have had I taken it to a mechanic in the first place. However, the learning experience alone was worth way more because I have applied that knowledge elsewhere. More often than not I have saved way more money than I would have had I taken it to a professional. When it came to the VB I decided paying 500 to have a professional do it right was well worth it for me. I knew nothing about it, nobody had really done any research on doing the mod themselves. So the research and knowledge wasn’t out there. The time required to research and learn myself wasn’t worth the 500 I was going to pay to have it done right and fast. To come to the forum and ask John to explain himself for the price he was/is charging for his work and knowledge is no different than asking a dentist to explain his price for pulling a tooth. I mean it can be done at home right? Aside from IPT offering the lowest price out there, there was no write ups on it, so the “knowledge” alone was worth more, not to mention the years of experience and reputable service they have offered throughout the time they have been in business.

If you had a bad experience with them, then you have every right to be upset at them and their customer service, but from reading the thread it sounds like they did the work you paid for. It may have taken a little longer than you expected, but things like that are to be expected from time to time.

What it sounds to me is you are upset because you see there might have been a way you could have done it yourself. Now that you have found a different way to pull your own tooth(so to speak), you feel you shouldn’t have paid that much. If you really are upset about that, then you only have one person to blame, and it sure isn’t John or IPT. So once again I extend my thanks to John for the work he did on my VB. Still shifting strong and keeping my tranny happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerguy View Post
I sent my valve body to IPT yesterday we will see how it goes..
I'm sure you'll be happy with the outcome.
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCabTaco View Post
In theory, you are correct, but think about the production of our trucks spanning 9 years or so. Things change. Parts become obsolete. Technology advances. Companies go out of business. There are a million reasons things on a particular vehicle may not be interchangeable. I know for a fact that my 04 tranny or VB is not interchangeable with an earlier model truck.

Now about 500 being too much,… To me that is just BS. Sorry to sound negative towards your statement here but when it comes to specialized work, it is worth what people are willing to pay. I could tell you that Level10 was asking twice that for years. You have to think about it this way, IPT is a business. They have to make money to stay alive.

I am not one to pay for anything I can do myself. I have taken my vehicles to a mechanic maybe 2 or 3 times in my life. Other than that, I have pretty much done everything myself. I will be the first to admit that at times I paid more than I would have had I taken it to a mechanic in the first place. However, the learning experience alone was worth way more because I have applied that knowledge elsewhere. More often than not I have saved way more money than I would have had I taken it to a professional. When it came to the VB I decided paying 500 to have a professional do it right was well worth it for me. I knew nothing about it, nobody had really done any research on doing the mod themselves. So the research and knowledge wasn’t out there. The time required to research and learn myself wasn’t worth the 500 I was going to pay to have it done right and fast. To come to the forum and ask John to explain himself for the price he was/is charging for his work and knowledge is no different than asking a dentist to explain his price for pulling a tooth. I mean it can be done at home right? Aside from IPT offering the lowest price out there, there was no write ups on it, so the “knowledge” alone was worth more, not to mention the years of experience and reputable service they have offered throughout the time they have been in business.

If you had a bad experience with them, then you have every right to be upset at them and their customer service, but from reading the thread it sounds like they did the work you paid for. It may have taken a little longer than you expected, but things like that are to be expected from time to time.

What it sounds to me is you are upset because you see there might have been a way you could have done it yourself. Now that you have found a different way to pull your own tooth(so to speak), you feel you shouldn’t have paid that much. If you really are upset about that, then you only have one person to blame, and it sure isn’t John or IPT. So once again I extend my thanks to John for the work he did on my VB. Still shifting strong and keeping my tranny happy.

I don't usually quote a post this long, but everything you said I couldn't agree with more. X2!

I might just add, the results of this do it yourself VB mod may not be completely known for a few years when a few guys have a more miles on their trannies.

Dale

93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG MT, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, 1.5" ball joint spacers, manual hubs, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCabTaco View Post

Fair enough, that's your opinion. At the time there was only one other company that was known to be capable of modding the VB's. It's not like we had a lot of choices (expensive vs more expensive). You can buy a low mileage trans for under $1K. To pay half of that for a VB seems excessive. I agree with most of your post and I do my maintenance as well. However you're wrong about me being upset. I'm not! I didn't have the customer experience that you guys claimed but big deal. I just wanted to let everyone know that I didn't get good service and that they might be slipping in that Dept. Do a search there was a couple of other's that have said the same.

Also, I don't think I would mod a VB myself. Even though he is expensive, I would probably give John another chance to make things right.

You know what they say about opinions.. Later,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode