TTORA Forum banner

Belt pulley and Harmonic balancer

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Tacoma 2.7 liter. I have 3 drive belt pulleys on the crankshaft. The most rear one had the harmonic balancer built into it. The pulley part of it came off and broke loose. I have to get the crankshaft pulley bolt out. Mine has an automatic transmission so I cant put it in gear and break the bolt loose with a breaker bar. I have to do it different. I am thinking of doing the breaker bar thing where I put a braker bar on it and then resting the end of the bar on my frame and then bump the starter. Any of you guys confirm that this works ? If so tell me more about it. Plus I would like to know if the first two pulleys come off without having to take the crankshaft bolt out ? I did take out the 4 small bolts. Any help is really appreciated .

#3 ·
You can use a chain wrench around the pulley & a big breaker bar. Just remember, once that crank bolt has been taken off, it MUST be replaced w/ a new bolt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Why a new bolt ?

#6 ·
Does anyone know if the other two pulleys in front of the rear one will come off while the crankshaft bolt is still in place ? I have taken off the 4 small bolts and the two front pulleys are still tight on there and won't come loose

#7 ·
Ok I just the crankshaft bolt and puleyy off . Thank God ! I can barely see the woodruff key or whatever you call that half moon key or pin . It look great but I'm scared if I take it out I may not get the new one in. It way far back in that hole . Is it used to drive anything else other than the pulley ?

#8 ·
Do you guys think I should replace the crankshaft seal while I am there ? They are only $8 and doesn't look too hard to replace . I think they just press inward with a large socket and a hammer .

#9 ·
You aren't gonna disturb the key. The other pulleys can remain bolted to the crank pulley, it'll all come off as 1 unit. I'd just replace the seal & the bolt... both are cheap insurance & you're already that far along.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Ok , I just got my crankshaft pulley holder made. When I was buying the bolts , I was at a specialty store that handle only bolts and fasteners. The guy asked me how much torque I was gonna use. I said between 193 and 217 Ft. Lbs . He said that was way too much. I said that was what is needed. I even went by Toyota and they showed 193 Ft. Lbs on the 2.7 which is my engine , and 217 Ft Lbs on the 3.4 V-6 . The bolt guy said that would break the bolt. He said that only around 50 lbs or so was only needed and that I got Ft Lbs and inch Lbs mixed up. WOW . I just smiled and said thanks and went on.

Attachments

#14 ·
The bolts are the hardest and highest rated ones so they should be good. I made this based on a friends tool he made. The bolts are M8X1.25 Class 10.9 . They are strong .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.