TTORA Forum banner

3.4L timing belt replacement

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  johnnymumbles 
#1 ·
I'm about to replace the timing belt on my 01 3.4L. Here's the list of things I'm planning on replacing. Let me know if there's anything else I should consider while i'm there. Any pulleys or tensioners need replacing? It has 170k miles. I don't know if the belt has ever been done. I bought it with 150k miles. Should I get the parts from Toyota, or are there decent OEM equivalents? It's a big job, so I don't mind buying quality parts.

Timing belt
Water pump
Upper/lower radiator hoses
3 accessory belts
Thermostat

#4 ·
Doing that involves cracking open the valve covers too right? At that point i'm removing the throttle body.

So other than valve cover gaskets, what else should I replace while I have that apart?

Might as well check all the valves too. Geez...this is going to be a bigger job than I thought.

#6 ·
Hydraulic tensioner and bearings should be on the list (usually included in a kit anyways). Some kits have 'OEM' parts but then go cheap on the bearings. Make sure the kit you buy has Nachi (OEM) bearings.
I wish I had put the kit I purchased in my notes, it was all OEM. I think it was this one by TBK:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039VMSCU?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

Some people replace the crankshaft bolt but plenty of people reuse the old one. It is just a bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.