TTORA Forum banner

Broken Bolt in my Engine....

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  S/CTaco 
#1 ·
So i am there i was removing my Supercharger and putting the stock intake manifold back on and tightening up all the bolts, when *SNAP* one of the bolts broke :eek:. Its somewhat of a small bolt (its the star shaped on on the IM) me and Bigztaco tried to extract it with no luck, now i dont know what to do......what are my choices? Can i drill it out and rethread? can i use it with a missing bolt? I miss driving my truck and plus i JUST ordered UCAs and rear shocks for my truck! Anybody in San Diego want to help?:rolleyes:

Here are the pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
it looks like you managed to drill ou thte broken peice???

so can you do an insert?(though the metals expanding may cause problems)

know a good tig welder who can fill it and then drill and tap it?

good luck, broken bolts suck

#4 ·
I know! Now i have to find a solution to a very weird and unique problem.

#5 ·
All the alternator bolts were sheared off the block on my truck when I got it. My old man managed to get them out using a bolt extractor. I was only 14 and didn't know much about anything at the time. I'd say it might have worked for you but it looks kinda boogered now. Heli-coil? Fix a thread? Weld up and tap? Tapped the aluminum on my t-case and it wasn't bad just work slow and use some sort of cutting oil.

#6 ·
i tried to extract it but it broke one of my extractors and the other one i had(which wasnt mine) wasnt getting good enough of a bite to remove the bolt.
the 'mess' you see is me trying to drill out the bolt then im going to try and rethread it. ive never had to mess with a bolt like this that wont come out when using an extractor kit.....

not only would matt like to drive his truck again but id like to get it out of my garage so i can park my truck in there :p

#7 ·
Any local "reputable" repair shop should be able to fix that. Any shop familiar with the R&R process will tell you old cast iron blocks are prone to broken exhaust / intake bolts. Many times these are fixed once the engine is removed. Since you have a straight shot a decent mechanic should be able to handle it. Drill it oversize and use a Heli-Coil kit.
Sorry, I don't know of any shops in your area to recommend.

#8 ·
x2 drill it and helicoil it you can try a tiny drill bit all the way through the bolt to release any pressure then reverse drill bits may work (I know sears carries them) but the drill, tap and helicoil is probably the most direct fix

#9 ·
I am looking into the helicoil kit and might have a local shop install it.....i cant afford to "F" up again. I will let you guys know how it goes.

#10 ·
If the bolt snapped because you bottomed it out in the hole, it will be superhard to take out since it is still under a LOT of pressure.

If it snapped off because you overtightened it, then it will be much easier to get out since it is not under pressure.

You may have to pull the manifold and take it to a machine shop and have them fix it up for you.

It can be done on the truck. There are people that specialize in this type of thing and use high powered LASERs to vaporize the bolt until there is nothing left of it.

Here is one guy in you side of the world that does this type of thing:

http://brokentap.com/

#11 ·
Thanks for the info Gaget. I talked with some guys at 'The Truck Shop' a local fab shop and they are going to do it. It sounds like they are just going to drill it out and rethread it. I am taking it in on monday or tuesday and will let you guys know how it goes. I am sure this info will be usefull to someone else down the line.

#12 ·
I picked up my truck today and its running fine. I am just happy to get my truck back, and hope i never have to go through that again. The Truck Shop in San Diego is awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.