TTORA Forum banner

Project "Red Lux" 85 Ext Cab EFI 4x4

75K views 685 replies 50 participants last post by  Boomtacoma01 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a rig this past weekend for a Trail/DD duty as a B-Day present to myself. I am shooting to have this thing done within a year or so.

Here are some pics:

The Good:

22RE
R151F Transmission
23 Spline Single TC with Marlin 4.7's
Allpro Dual TC Skid
Marlin Rear Bumper
33/10.50/15 BFG KM's on FJ60 wheels w/ full size matching spare + extra wheel
interior pretty good for 25 years old
Got 20 mpg on the first tank of gas

The not so Good:

probably needs a knuckle rebuild
little bondo work on pass bed
a little rust on drivers side bed
AC has a little leak somewhere
a little hail damage on hood
Fuel guage shows 1/2 full on a full tank
possible Vaccum leak/ rough idle

The plan :

529's
Lockers (Detroit and Aussie probably)
Longfields
Dual Cases with twin sticks
Ranchos on the front with Sky's Hanger kit
63's on the rear with Sky's 63" kit
37's
Hi Steer
Winch bumper
Sliders
Bed bob
Fix a little of the bondo/rust
maybe a paint job

All input/help is appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Ray. I hope to get a lot of input on the build from everyone. Im meeting up with Jason on Thursday to discuss gears.

You dont have an IFS steering box laying around?

#4 ·
gears are a huge debate among people, just pick what's in your price range and dont cut corners here, you will pay for it ! I have Yukon F/R mainly because I got a deal on rears and not many people offered good Hipinion gear sets that I felt good using.Go to Zuk's page and read his diff installs, he is a gooroo when it comes to all the gear brands. Talk to Joe or Dave at gulf coast too.

#6 ·
Thanks, I just kicking around ideas before I get started. Im meeting Jason at daves on Thursday. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

#7 ·
#8 ·
start looking for a high pinion front diff while you're at it. You'll be glad you did.

#12 ·
Well I just ordered a Knuckle Rebuild kit w/ bearings since that is probably the first thing I need to do to the front end before anything else. Its coming UPS ground so I will have it next week.

One question: is this the right hanger kit to get from Sky's part # Toy-SAS-001
Front hanger, bolts, bushings and boomerang shackles?

The 63" spring kit is pretty straight forward :)

$308 seem reasonable for front and rear spring hangers?

#13 ·
Yeah thats the right part number.

Sky's kits are great quality. I have them front and rear as well on my '82. You cant go wrong with any of Sky's parts. If its in your budget, I would get a set of u-bolt flips from a vendor (doesnt matter which one). They come up for sale every once in a while on Marlin's borad and Pirate4x4.

#16 ·
Go dirty 30's trail-gear all you need :D

#18 ·
That sounds like the ticket there Tim. I just need to get my mounts and 63' lined out. What dit you do to the rears before you installed them up front?

63's from an 89 to 96 Chevy/GM 1500, 2/4wd correct? 2wd will have 3 and 4wd will have 4 leaves?

I know I am a GD noob :)

#23 · (Edited)
quit playing grab ass with Jason ! get your butt on pirate, your missing the good deals. V6 5.29 yukon with full detroit low miles 550 shipped , you can't build it for that and another 5.29 diff for sale that could be used in your front axle for sale too.

that's where I look first for stuff

#25 ·
I have been fucking off and loping the mule as of late. Been out of town for work over the last 3 weeks or so (between the north slope of alaska and trinidad this past week)Getting back in the swing today!

#28 ·
Weel I left town again for work. Sux I know. But the money is stacking up :)

Ordered some goodies from Marlin tonight. Not much but it is a couple more pieces out of the way.

#29 ·
nice little truck! Ive always loved the extended cabs. Go with the double shackles in the rear with those 63's they work great just use the stock chevy shackle with another one at the right length to give you a good shackle angle.

Right now im using a homemade shackle and a 2" chevy lowering shackle flipped on my runner and they work well.

GL on the build!

#30 ·
:2cents:
Don't do this! It'll unload like crazy on descents and unless you want to run a traction bar, it'll give you all kinds of wheel hop and bend springs on climbs. The double setup lets the rear axle try to drive under the truck on steep hills. It will look fucking sweet on an RTI ramp, but won't be as useful on the trail as a proplerly set up rear shackle hanger w/ a single shackle. Check it out on pirate. Also look at the buggy leaf (3/4 elliptical) set ups. They are equally not good.

edit: just stick w/ your plan of getting the sky's chevy setup.

#32 ·
You could always 3 link it before you spend a dime on the leaves. I wish I would have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.