TTORA Forum banner

use of stock switches?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tsunami982 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am getting ready to wire up some fog lights ( hella 550 ) and I noticed that when I pulled the stock cover for the fog, rear diff lock and coneverter that although I dont have the components, ( the truck is base ), that there are wires to each switch! Where do these go if the options arent there? Can I use these wires to run to a relay for whatever? I know Ill have to put in my own switch but it sure would make life easier if I could just tap into the perspective fuse to run power and use factory wires to juice the relay. Has anyone done this. I did search but all you guys seem to have gone with the loaded TRD. I know I should have to but I dont offroad enough to justify the exspense and just wanted Toyota dependability.

#2 ·
i really doubt that those wires are in fact for those switches........ best bet is to run your own wires n your own relays. look around on summit or jc whitney for a fuse block n do it right

#3 ·
Well, what would they go to? My first impression is the manufactuer runs wires from the fuse box to the appropriate switch, then if the upgrade is called for the switch is installed instead of the dummy plug. Ive popped them out and there is a plug there that would go to the real switch if installed..plug and play. They have to go to something right? Any of you electrical gurus know how I could test it? Maybe put a fuse in the slot for the factory fog lights then hook a voltmeter to the connector in the blank end and see if it gets juice? Is that the way to test. I just want a clean install. I dont mind running seperate relay and switch but sure would like to use whats already there.

#4 ·
Toyota used a fairly standard body harness in the Tacomas. It costs too much to make a bunch of different harnesses. Odds are that the wires are all there. I found this out when I needed to rewire my truck. I have a 97 V6 4WD. I couldn't find one in any of the junk yards. After some searching I found a 98 4Cyl 2wd mini Taco. When I ripped the dash out the harness was the same. They just capped off the unused connectors.

I would look around for the connectors for the fog lamps. They might be there, they might not. I would find a wire diagram for your truck and chase the wires to see how far they go. I have the FSM for the 97 and earlier Tacoma, if that is the generation truck you have. There is a 2003 FSM here. You can also pick up a Haynes manual for $10. You will need a cheap multimeter to ring out the wires. You can get one for about $20 at most auto parts stores. They are handy little things to have.

#5 · (Edited)
what year truck do you have? i have an 01 d/c and used switches that a member here recommended in the two knock outs by the power plugs in front of the floor shifter. the switches came in toyota packaging and are $6 bucks each. they are the same switches as in the performance products catalog for 49.00. www.rallylights.com
search fog light switch in this section and go to post "fog light switch part #?" and read replies to find the actual link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.