remote start/ alarm - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

remote start/ alarm

I am looking for an alarm/remote start for my truck I was wondering if any of you guys have on on your truck. If so what type and how much did it cost you. I was looking at the viper 791xv from best buy, but they will not install it because my truck is a 5-speed. What could I do to get around the 5-speed prob and make it safe. The Viper come with every thing for around 300. Do you know any where I can get it cheaper.

04 ex-cab Green Taco, Camburg coilovers, Deaver add a leaf, Bilsetin 5100, Westen brush Guard, 4 Hella 500's, AOR sliders, Pro comp wheels, Yoko Geolander M/T+'s 285/75/r16, Magnaflow Muffler, And it's a street Pounder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 AM

why won't they install it if it's a 5speed. just curious i've never heard of that before....

-Spencer
(ttora-socal.com)
96 Tacoma v6 4x4 5 speed
camburg coilovers
Downey HD shackles
Bilstein 5125 series shocks
Demello HD sliders
etc....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenc121886
why won't they install it if it's a 5speed. just curious i've never heard of that before....
Probably because if it's in gear then the truck could possibly move if started. I always keep my truck in first when parked along with having the e-brake on.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to avc8130
I put a Crimestopper unit in my 5 speed that I bought on Ebay for 50$. I put it in myself, it really isnt that hard. The truck will start in gear and this one does not have any saftey's. You want a unit that will keep the truck running after you remove the key until the door closes. That ensures you have to park in neutral. Just buy one with this feature and install yourself.
Anthony

2001 TRD, Complete OME, 285s, Gibson catback, FIPK, cosmetics SOLD...selling what's left!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 AM

I had a remote start/alarm installed at Ziebart for around $250. It works great & they will swap it onto another vehicle for a small fee if I decde to sell my current rig.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I have a friend that works at best buy so I think that he will install it for me I ordered one for ebay last night it was an Infinity with the same things as the viper plus a neutral safty switch thanks for the info.
john

04 ex-cab Green Taco, Camburg coilovers, Deaver add a leaf, Bilsetin 5100, Westen brush Guard, 4 Hella 500's, AOR sliders, Pro comp wheels, Yoko Geolander M/T+'s 285/75/r16, Magnaflow Muffler, And it's a street Pounder.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to chopaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasintail
Thanks for the info I have a friend that works at best buy so I think that he will install it for me I ordered one for ebay last night it was an Infinity with the same things as the viper plus a neutral safty switch thanks for the info.
john

The neutral safety switch is probably just a toggle switch, which a viper alarm does come with and will not do anything to detect whether or not your truck is in gear. All that switch does is supply a ground to the neutral safety wire. What you should do is mount some magnetic switches around the shifter and have those switches wired to the neutral safety wire on your alarm so it will know if it is in gear or not. The reason shops donít install remote starts on manual trans is because of liability issues. If your truck starts and is in gear and runs someone over, most likely the shop will end up with a law suit. Hope this helps.

johnny
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode