Two 2-way radios on one speaker? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Two 2-way radios on one speaker?

I just got my ham license and I have a radio one the way. I threw in a cheap speaker while I was at it thinking that even a cheap speaker would be a big improvement over an internal speaker located under my seat.

My question is, "Is there a way to hook up both the CB and 2 meter radio to that speaker?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:52 AM
Crime and Punishment

Showstop would be a good one to ask regarding this.

04 Taco
Locked and loaded front and rear
Budbuilts / Chevy 63" springs / 285/75/16 AT

1980 1st Gen
Detroit Front / Welded rear

NC TTORA
http://www.ncttora.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
No! If you can't understand that much I think you need to reenter the 1st grade and draw it up for yourself in crayon.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:34 AM

Ubernerd to the rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard
I just got my ham license and I have a radio one the way. I threw in a cheap speaker while I was at it thinking that even a cheap speaker would be a big improvement over an internal speaker located under my seat.

My question is, "Is there a way to hook up both the CB and 2 meter radio to that speaker?"
Here's one way of dealing with it:

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer1.htm
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 09:30 AM

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 AM

Just use a switch. If you try listening to 2 audio sources thru one spkr at the same time it will be unintelligible.
Better yet get a 2nd spkr.

As seen in FOUR WHEELER magazine July 06, and OFF-ROAD magazine Feb 07

'84 4Runner ARBed 5.29s F&R, 4.7 & 2.28 t-cases, 2" drive train lift, AP hy-steer, BudBuilt x-member/skidplate, 36" TSLs, 30 spl Longs, Chevys

'80 something Toy P/U, Buick 231 V6, Holley 4 bbl, Weiand intake, Downey headers, TH350 L/U w/700R4 low gearset, dual tanks & batterys...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

It's mostly a space issue in the cab. I figured two feeds into one speaker would sound a lot like two speakers going at the same time but I'm not sure.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

You could try some big caps but you have to be careful with CBs as many of them switch the speaker with the PTT switch and use the final audio amp to modulate the TX. Get the unpolarized kind that are used in audio crossovers. Radio Shack has them. CBs are all so cheap that they will do anyting to save a nickel. I'd start by looking at both speaker outputs with a volt meter and see if you see any DC bias voltages. They don't always use a common ground return in the audio final so check to see if one side of the speaker goes to ground.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 PM

Garage
either use the FET setup or a "on-off-on" style switch to listen to one at a time, the only other option is 2 speakers, think if one speaker fails it could cause damage to both radios or at the very least you wouldn't hear either one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode