: CV Boot Carnage

FattyB
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Damn sway bar nut came loose this weekend sometime and let the "bolt" part rub onto the cv boot and ripped 'er wide open. I've seen that downey had some "flexy" boots that last longer, will shops put on parts you bring to them? I'm not in the mood to get to changing this myself.:( Any other brands?

RedRunnertc
04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
How many miles?

How far/dusty have you driven it with the boot ripped or will before it's fixed?

Where I'm going with this is to recommend you replace the whole CV halfshaft. If grease can get out, dirt can get in. I would rather someone with the right tools and shop be rebuilding something like a CV than me trying to do it in a garage.

99TanTaco
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
plus it's way easier to just swap shafts than rebuild

if you go this way you can buy lifetime warranty cv's from most auto parts stores(Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc) and never have to pay for this again

mrdoug
04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
As for the boot itself, I am using the High Angle CV Boot Kit from ORS.

As for the CV and half shaft, I have my old ones left over from my manual hub conversion. But mine was an 02 Taco, not sure if they will work with your newer truck. Scott at ORS said there was some wear on the tulip joint but they weren't an emergency replacement. You're welcome to take a look and see if they'll work for you.

Also, if you're looking for a shop, I highly recommend ORS.

RedRunnertc
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
plus it's way easier to just swap shafts than rebuild

if you go this way you can buy lifetime warranty cv's from most auto parts stores(Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc) and never have to pay for this again

... and if there's anyone who knows cv carnage, it's Terry!

FattyB
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
How many miles?

How far/dusty have you driven it with the boot ripped or will before it's fixed?

Where I'm going with this is to recommend you replace the whole CV halfshaft. If grease can get out, dirt can get in. I would rather someone with the right tools and shop be rebuilding something like a CV than me trying to do it in a garage.

Miles? Maybe 25-35 so far, it happened saturday. All in city. Damn, the whole shaft is easier?:eek: How much is this stuff usually running $ ? Do you think the cv joint will be bad in a weeks time?

RedRunnertc
04-21-2008, 11:05 PM
No, how many on the truck?

But, yes, if you drive in dusty/dirty conditions, the CV will not be long for this world with a ripped boot.

Blowntaco
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
There's a guy at my shop that went over a year with both axle boots blown with no problem at all, he finally changed them last month. Taco's actually do pretty well on cv axles.

FattyB
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
No, how many on the truck?

But, yes, if you drive in dusty/dirty conditions, the CV will not be long for this world with a ripped boot.

Truck has 97,500 mi. Got the nut back on the sway bar piece, so shouldn't have it ripping into the boot now, frekn nut caused all this trouble. Any ideas on what this typically costs? I know when I replaced these on my honda it was about $180.00 a side. About the same for toyotas? Guess I should start calling around.

Blowntaco
04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm saying that if your a little tight on money right now, and your gonna replace the axle anyway. You could go for a couple of months before you really have to worry about it, but hey what do I know

FattyB
04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
10-4 might have to go a month. So definetely need to replace axel not just fix the boot, cause of the mileage

Blowntaco
04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
10-4 might have to go a month. So definetely need to replace axel not just fix the boot, cause of the mileage

Probably but not necessarily, depends on the amount of dirt that gets inside. It costs less to reboot them but more labor and you need to know what your doing. You can get axles from Napa thats where we get them for about $150-175 area.

FattyB
04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Anybody want some money to install a new cv axel?:D Might as well install a new one. Will shops install one you bring them?

Blowntaco
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I could do it possibly this Thurs, or next Thurs.

RedRunnertc
04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
It's something you NEED to learn to do if you're gonna wheel your truck... it sounds like Darryl is willing to show you how, I would take him up on it!

Taco_Man
04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
It's something you NEED to learn to do if you're gonna wheel your truck... it sounds like Darryl is willing to show you how, I would take him up on it!

And this has me interested because I now it will happen to me it just a mater of when. So if you guys do this on a weekend sometime can I sit in and help?

Blowntaco
04-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Anybody want some money to install a new cv axel?:D Might as well install a new one. Will shops install one you bring them?

What truck do you have?

fjcruzer
04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Look something like this :D

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/farmington/farmington298.jpg

Gouged mine in Farmington last year with a broken link. Drove all the way home, no problem without the sway bar or boot. I would recommend a new/rebuilt shaft assembly, simple to replace and you can have your ripped one rebuilt so you have a spare. Definitely take up Daryll on his offer for a good learning experience and necessary trail repair knowledge.

Blowntaco
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM

Gouged mine in Farmington last year with a broken link. Drove all the way home, no problem without the sway bar or boot. I would recommend a new/rebuilt shaft assembly, simple to replace and you can have your ripped one rebuilt so you have a spare. Definitely take up Daryll on his offer for a good learning experience and necessary trail repair knowledge.

Definetely not something that I would want to or even need to do on a trail. They will last quite a long time before they go bad, as you found out when I told you not to do this and just drive it home. I totally understand your view of shit's broke and need to repair it especially when your a long way from home, but some things are better left alone and make due till you get to a better place to do the repair. Great advise on the repair to make a spare too. Never too many spare parts for a wheeler!!!! Thanks Eric for the pic and your input as well :)

fjcruzer
04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Definetely not something that I would want to or even need to do on a trail. They will last quite a long time before they go bad, as you found out when I told you not to do this and just drive it home. I totally understand your view of shit's broke and need to repair it especially when your a long way from home, but some things are better left alone and make due till you get to a better place to do the repair. Great advise on the repair to make a spare too. Never too many spare parts for a wheeler!!!! Thanks Eric for the pic and your input as well :)

Yup, you were right on! I should have been more clear, I meant to say it would be great to know how to swap out the CV in case the shaft broke, not the boot. Leave it, drive home, replace as necessary :)

Blowntaco
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Yup, you were right on! I should have been more clear, I meant to say it would be great to know how to swap out the CV in case the shaft broke, not the boot. Leave it, drive home, replace as necessary :)

:kewl: Right on, I just want you to think that I was being a jackass at any point.

motochain
04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
They are fairly easy to replace as long as you have the right tools. Price wise for my Tundra, it was $70. That's with giving them my old one. I think if I didn't the price was like $90. This is for the whole shaft end to end with both boots.

fjcruzer
04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
:kewl: Right on, I just want you to think that I was being a jackass at any point.

Nope, quite the contrary. I've only had the pleasure of seeing the CV replaced once on the trail, and could probably muddle through, but could use more detailed info as well.

They are fairly easy to replace as long as you have the right tools. Price wise for my Tundra, it was $70. That's with giving them my old one. I think if I didn't the price was like $90. This is for the whole shaft end to end with both boots.

Lucky you, I think ours go for $225+ on a good day...

Blowntaco
04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Nope, quite the contrary. I've only had the pleasure of seeing the CV replaced once on the trail, and could probably muddle through, but could use more detailed info as well.

Sorry should have read "I didn't want you to think that I was being a jackass" I left a word out that changes what I said. Now I'm confused-it's pretty easy to to confuse me though:o

fjcruzer
04-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Sorry should have read "I didn't want you to think that I was being a jackass" I left a word out that changes what I said. Now I'm confused-it's pretty easy to to confuse me though:o

TFF! I missed that too, but it was 3 am and I was hacking up a lung. You do NOT resemble this guy on China Wall, lol. So when are we doing this CV thing? I want to learn how to do it right!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w84/fjcruzer123/04-08%20china%20wall/chinawall181.jpg

mrdoug
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Ditto. In fact, I'd pay to see it done at the charity HOW. But I'd watch for free too. :)

FattyB
04-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Darell (sp?), are you talking during the day or at night, I could get the axel by next thursday probably...I would take you up on the offer for instruction, of course I have no tools so we'd need someone's house/tools, too. LMK. Thanks!

FattyB
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Did you snap a pic of my axle? LOL, ya mine looks just as bad, sh*t everywhere. Looks like we might need to do this on a weekend with all the people wanting to know what to do. Darell, please keep me updated, if you're available (not sure if there is another HOW coming up soon) to come to the next HOW I could wait till then. Thanks

Blowntaco
04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Would like to do this at my work as it is so much easier, tools, gear oils etc...

fjcruzer
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Would like to do this at my work as it is so much easier, tools, gear oils etc...

Me thinks if you say where and when I think we'll try to accommodate; assuming spectators welcome?

FattyB
04-23-2008, 11:07 PM
What truck do you have?

Sorry, '01 tacoma 2.7 reg cab 4x4, obviously add axle

Second on the you tell us when, if you can give me a week to scrounge up some moola$, I'll have a guinea pig for ya, I'll donate some $ for your time and guidence.

Or are you saying you'd rather do this on the down low at work (like on the side kinda stuff)?
-sorry couldn't tell from the last post

Oh ya, do I need any additional parts (ie. bolts, grease, washers, etc) for this type work?

Blowntaco
04-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry, '01 tacoma 2.7 reg cab 4x4, obviously add axle

Second on the you tell us when, if you can give me a week to scrounge up some moola$, I'll have a guinea pig for ya, I'll donate some $ for your time and guidence.

Or are you saying you'd rather do this on the down low at work (like on the side kinda stuff)?
-sorry couldn't tell from the last post

Oh ya, do I need any additional parts (ie. bolts, grease, washers, etc) for this type work?

Any Thursday evening would work, and yea kinda on the sly side job kinda thing. I have everything that you might need minus the axle. Could have maybe 2 more persons there if they want but thats probably about it. Sorry big corporate shit and insurance policies..blah, blah, blah. Also would need to be around 6pm

Don_G
04-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Matt,

Unless it was buried in the mud, I'd put a temporary boot on it and run it until I saw/heard any indications of an incipient problem. Might as well get all the life out of it. Meanwhile you can save up the money to replace both sides when wear indicates, and have emergency parts for both sides when you finish. Just my $.02

mrdoug
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Any Thursday evening would work, and yea kinda on the sly side job kinda thing. I have everything that you might need minus the axle. Could have maybe 2 more persons there if they want but thats probably about it. Sorry big corporate shit and insurance policies..blah, blah, blah. Also would need to be around 6pm

Damn, well.. understood... maybe another time then.

FattyB
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Let me talk to my work (work nights also, yea), and get a thursday off soon. I'll try and get an axle soon too. PM me how much you'd like me to bring for your time compensation, (anything is fine, you get what is fair)

fjcruzer
04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
6pm Thu wold work for me and I'm happy to keep it on the low-down.

poorboyota26
04-26-2008, 04:57 AM
There is a little write up on it in YT but it's prob more for Pre Taco years.

http://www.yotatech.com/f128/changing-cv-boots-86-95-ifs-toyotas-81059/

FattyB
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Do all the parts stores (autozone, o'reilly, advance, etc.) use the same brand of axle? Any reccomendations?

RedRunnertc
05-02-2008, 03:48 PM
There's a couple different brands, but IMHO, there's not much difference between them. Autozone has both remanned and "new" (the "new" ones have an N at the end of the part number). I have had better luck with remanned units than "new" ones.

ike
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I have heard good things about the ones that napa caries.

Blowntaco
05-02-2008, 08:45 PM
I have heard good things about the ones that napa caries.

Thats what we use at the dealership and thats also what I'm recomending

Blowntaco
05-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey guy's I know I haven't been on here much lately, and much about the cv boot repair that I was to be doing at my shop. Anyway to make a long story short, I have been taking care of my mother for some time now that has cancer pretty bad-17 tumors on her left upper thigh and now it has went into her lungs and at this time is in the hospital. So it's not looking good for this week, if you can wait till next week should be able to by then. I appreciate all of your support, and thanks for your understanding in this matter. God I need a beer!!!!

mrdoug
05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Best wishes man...take care of your family.

fjcruzer
05-08-2008, 12:41 AM
:xbeer3: We'll hold the beer for ya while you take care of business. Regards to your family.

FattyB
05-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Don't feel obligated to help, I'm in no rush. There are more important things than me saving some bucks and learning. I'm picking up the axle on sat., so I'll have it in hand; if and when you're ready. Take care of your mom especially on her day. Just let me know when you're ready, I need to notify my work about the thursday so we'll do it a week after you are comfortable with what's going on. Please don't feel the need to help until everything is good at home. Thanks buddy, our prayers are with your family, please tell your mother to stay strong and keep fighting through it, it can be beat. Not sure if you guys are religious, but ask for help and he'll do what he can to assist;)

Blowntaco
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Don't feel obligated to help, I'm in no rush. There are more important things than me saving some bucks and learning. I'm picking up the axle on sat., so I'll have it in hand; if and when you're ready. Take care of your mom especially on her day. Just let me know when you're ready, I need to notify my work about the thursday so we'll do it a week after you are comfortable with what's going on. Please don't feel the need to help until everything is good at home. Thanks buddy, our prayers are with your family, please tell your mother to stay strong and keep fighting through it, it can be beat. Not sure if you guys are religious, but ask for help and he'll do what he can to assist;)

Thanks you guy's really appreciate the support. She was just admitted to Hospice care. So they are just making her comfortable and letting nature take its course