: Transfer Case Leaking....Everywhere....

Quick Draw
04-27-2008, 10:58 PM
My truck has just developed a pretty bad leak....well a few... It seems that all of my transfer case seals have failed all at once. Everywhere that it contains a seal has oil stains around them, and are dropping it on my driveway. Every once in awhile, I put some more gear oil in there, just so it doesn't get too low, but I'm tired of it leaking.

Questions are:

Is the seal that connects the TC to the transmission an OEM gasket kind of deal, or a glob some gunk on, and wait for it to harden kind of deal?

I assume the one on the output shaft to the rear is going to be some little deal that I order from Napa or something?

Also is this going to be one of those deals like my clutch where it takes all day to remove the shit connected to the transfer case, and drop it, just to finally get started on the task at hand? What do you think? Is this a HOW deal, or should I just knock it out myself? I have a fair number of tools and a garage, so I can do lots of things....I just want to make sure that it's something I can do.

ike
04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
First find out what is leaking. Wash it good at a car wash, drive it alittle and inspect.

My 79 developed a leak not to long ago and i though it was the rear seal, so i replaced that. still leaked. ended up being the seal around where the shifter comes out the top. doesnt seem like it would leak much from there, but they do. it has a thick rubber gasket up there and if this is your problem you will likely be able to solve it by simply tightening down the bolts.

Quick Draw
04-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Hmmm....good to know.....because I did start after I replaced the clutch, and I did take the shifters off. I don't have any idea just how tight I got those bolts. I'll check that out.

BTW, I know that I have a leak coming from the output shaft, towards the rear. It's been going on for a little while. Ever since I removed the flange, to install my t-case brake. I kind of figured that I damaged the seal somehow...

ike
04-27-2008, 11:24 PM
that rear seal is not hard to replace, just gotta drop the driveshaft.

RedRunnertc
04-28-2008, 09:00 AM
x2 on the shifters. I had a helluva leak after I did my clutch/tcases. Turned out to be coming from around the shifter - you need to RTV between the shifter plate and the top surface of the tranny/tcase. It makes leaks very hard to diagnose because it seems to be coming from everywhere!

All that said, I have a tcase leak too that I need to find where it's coming from...

matt2778
04-28-2008, 08:48 PM
What are you people doing to your shifters to cause a leak? I've done tons of clutches and never had a leak around the shifter

Lysmachia
04-29-2008, 02:19 AM
What are you people doing to your shifters to cause a leak? I've done tons of clutches and never had a leak around the shifter

We're just special! :D

So I fire hosed down the undercarriage of Ron (at thefatkid's suggestion) this afternoon, so we can try and figure out where the leak is coming from.....

Since we have to bust into the front Diff to fix the front ARB might as well just tear the tranny appart and re-apply RTV...

Don't sign me up, I'll be covered in it before the RTV tube is even open! :neener:

sport4x4runner
04-29-2008, 09:52 AM
I've done clutches on every US toyota 4x4 configuration....NOt to mention various AWD and FWD vehicles also, well Over 30, never had one leak anything after a clutch replacement. I'd suggest checking your methods...take some time and do it right...

Mythica
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
QD: when you did the clutch did you drop the tc and tranny as a unit? or did you take the tc off?

RTV seals between the two.

The shifter should not be leaking unless you took the entire shift plate off. The shifter pushes down and rotates out.

Take the center console out and see if that is where it is leaking.

Dropping the tc by itself is not very difficult, other than getting to the top two bolts (get to them through the cab) I think the tc only has two plugs that need to be discod before dropping it and 1 breather line that connects to the tranny. The tc is also pretty light so you should be able to do it with the help of a buddy.

also, what tranny brake did you go with? Balistic? I need a new parking brake. I lost mine in the swap.

Good luck man

Quick Draw
04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
QD: when you did the clutch did you drop the tc and tranny as a unit? or did you take the tc off?

Dropped it as a unit. The only thing I can think of is that those bolts for the shifter didn't get quite tight enough....seems to make sense with the conditions and sequence of events.

Take the center console out and see if that is where it is leaking.

Will do, when I have the time.

also, what tranny brake did you go with? Balistic? I need a new parking brake. I lost mine in the swap.

Yep, Ballistic Fab. It's alright. You have to adjust it a lot, but it better if you throw some locktite on everything. It eventually comes a little loose anyway, so you can hear shit rattling around when you open the window. Also, if it's a bit loose it doesn't hold very well. But a 1/4 turn in on the adjuster bolt and nothing will budge it. To be honest it's kind of a pain in the ass, but I don't mind too much. You will have to make some kind of spring mechanism for it, as it doesn't always return, and will leave your cable slack, with it still hugging the caliper.

Quick Draw
04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
I've done clutches on every US toyota 4x4 configuration....NOt to mention various AWD and FWD vehicles also, well Over 30, never had one leak anything after a clutch replacement. I'd suggest checking your methods...take some time and do it right...

Well we're not all as experienced as you are. This was my very first clutch. The wonderful thing about a forum like this is that you can learn from more experienced people by asking questions and opinions so that you become more experienced, without being ridiculed...;)

Mythica
04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
So you unbolted the tc shifter when you removed it?

Mine just had to be pushed down and rotated out, so i didnt have to remove any bolts. Oh well diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.

Chances are though, from what Troy said, is that its leaking there.

If it is out of the top you can proably do it all with out removing anything. At least i think there is room in there when coming in from the cab.

Good luck you'll get it fiured out.

sport4x4runner
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
I've got no problem helping with info or even good old fashioned grunt work. Happy to lend a hand when the experience I have is appreciated as opposed to being told that the multitudes of vehicles I have worked on are completely different from anything that could be going on in the specific cicumstance. I've seen AND repaired things many could not even dream up... Knowledge I'm ready and willing to share so long as those who know very little will keep their holes shut when they are simply out diagnosed.You wanna draw on experience and knowledge, I pride you for that. There are many, however, that feel their minimal experience warants them the ability to "help" when all that is really happening is wasting time and hacking trucks with suggestions that are remedial at best, nothing more than guesses.

poorboyota26
05-05-2008, 03:30 AM
I tried to push and pivot mine today and it didn't take? Never heard of this Idea I like it though and it makes sense.

I helped Kyle with his clutch and I told him to unbolt them, but like I said I've never done it that way before. They also never leaked after either. There was a guy from texas that was there too (can't remember his name) he has done quite a few clutches and he didn't say anything about it either.

Sorry bout that kyle I might not have been much help after all.

Speaking of that leak..... I've tried to locate a new gasket and Advanced didn't have one neither did checker. Do I use RTV or keep looking.

ike
05-05-2008, 07:33 AM
RTV will work fine

Mythica
05-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Yep, Ballistic Fab. It's alright. You have to adjust it a lot, but it better if you throw some locktite on everything. It eventually comes a little loose anyway, so you can hear shit rattling around when you open the window. Also, if it's a bit loose it doesn't hold very well. But a 1/4 turn in on the adjuster bolt and nothing will budge it. To be honest it's kind of a pain in the ass, but I don't mind too much. You will have to make some kind of spring mechanism for it, as it doesn't always return, and will leave your cable slack, with it still hugging the caliper.

Well i am a day late and a dollar short! I went to order one of these fancy parking brakes and they discountinued them last week :( So im off to the drawing board for an e brake

Volcom
05-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Well i am a day late and a dollar short! I went to order one of these fancy parking brakes and they discountinued them last week :( So im off to the drawing board for an e brake

I think All-Pro still makes them.

Mythica
05-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah but i think i need to call them or something. Their site states up to '95 4cyl and that it wont work with a 6cyl.

AxleIke
05-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Likely your shifters.

The bolts are the likely cause. I drilled holes so that I could directly access the bolt heads. My shifter cover covers them. Just something to look into, as mine weren't tight enough the first time either.

As for gaskets or RTV.

I NEVER use paper gaskets EVER. Every thing i've taken apart that had a gasket is now RTV. Every single time I've used a paper gasket, they've leaked, and I have no leaks now, all RTV. Both diffs are RTV, my header is RTV, and are the entirety of both my transfer cases, and all 4 of my shifters.

I hate paper gaskets. Just trying to save you some headache.

FWIW, all my gaskets were OEM.