: Tube Door Legality

Driver12518
05-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Are tube doors, or no doors at all, street legal in Indiana? I can't really find anything and I figure if Jeeps and UPS can do it why not, but I don't wanna risk the $$ for a ticket.

Fuod
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I remember hearing one time that if your vehicle is registered as a truck then doors are kinda optional, but seat belts are required if the doors are missing.

Not real sure though...

Sweendogie
05-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Are tube doors, or no doors at all, street legal in Indiana? I can't really find anything and I figure if Jeeps and UPS can do it why not, but I don't wanna risk the $$ for a ticket.

i have been wondering the same thing and have been putting the tube doors off because of it...i dont think the doors themselves would be a problem im just not sure about not having mirrors ive asked around and still havent recieved a definate answer

Bear
05-06-2008, 10:40 PM

I remember hearing one time that if your vehicle is registered as a truck then doors are kinda optional, but seat belts are required if the doors are missing.

Not real sure though...

i have been wondering the same thing and have been putting the tube doors off because of it...i dont think the doors themselves would be a problem im just not sure about not having mirrors ive asked around and still havent recieved a definate answer

I know what the law is back home in Texas and I believe it is the same here.

First you must have mirrors affixed to the exterior of the vehicle. and after a certain year, early 80's I believe, you must have mirrors on both sides of the vehicle.

As for the doors, If the vehicle came standard from the factory with removable doors, you are allowed to run without doors, but if the vehicle such as all Toyota's (excluding the earlier FJ's- all models pre 80's) must have doors in place.

I know it does not seem fair that jeep type vehicles are allowed to run doorless, while other vehicles are not.

Regarding the UPS trucks, I do not know the regs on them, but techincally they are not running without doors, just running with the doors open

and all vehicles dating back before the early 60's models were mandated to be equipped with some type of seat belt. thus the law states that if a vehicle was equipped from the factory with a seat belt the occupant of that location of factory intended seat belt must be worn. Not only is that now a state law, but has been a federal law since the late 90's. The reason the state was forced recently to pass the all encompassing law is because the states face the possibility of Federal monies being withheld for road improvements if the states do not enforce the federal laws.

I am not sure why some states are able to raise the speed limits as it was declared after the 70's gas "crunch" that all states would lower the speed limit to 55 mph in attempt to reduce the nations gas and oil consumption. The safety aspect of the law was a secondary.

Driver12518
05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
So are half doors and tube doors fare game as long as you slap the mirrors on the body? I thought that you didnt have to have mirrors if you passed the eye exam thing they give you right before you get your license.

Fuod
05-07-2008, 12:46 AM
...thus the law states that if a vehicle was equipped from the factory with a seat belt the occupant of that location of factory intended seat belt must be worn. Not only is that now a state law, but has been a federal law since the late 90's.

I could be wrong and the law has changed, but AFAIK Indiana does not require truck drivers/passengers to wear safety belts. If you buy a jeep and register it as a vehicle then you must wear belts, register it as a truck and you don't. It's something about trucks being considered farm equipment so they bypass certain laws. I know a bill was mentioned some time back to pass a new law, but I'm not sure what happened with it.

Nonetheless I always wear mine and I require my passengers to also...

I thought that you didnt have to have mirrors if you passed the eye exam thing they give you right before you get your license.

I'm pretty sure mirrors are required no matter what. Besides, I can't imaging driving on road without them... :)

Bear
05-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Actually Joe, the seat belt law was always an interest to me since we moved up here. Back home it did not matter what vehicle was in question, seat belts were manditory.

When we moved up here I was surprised about the "truck seat belt law" stating that if you were in a truck you were not required to wear seat belts.

I learned that it was considered an agriculture tool. But last September ( I could be wrong on the exact month) that law was rewritten and now it does not matter what type of vehicle you are in, seats belts must be worn.

Bear
05-07-2008, 01:15 AM
So are half doors and tube doors fare game as long as you slap the mirrors on the body? I thought that you didnt have to have mirrors if you passed the eye exam thing they give you right before you get your license.

the eye exam has nothing to do with the fact of mirrors.

the issue of tube doors and half doors would be a technicality. But odds are you are going to always run into that one peace officer that will interrupt the law in saying no "alteration or modifaction".

Fuod
05-07-2008, 04:26 AM
...I learned that it was considered an agriculture tool. But last September ( I could be wrong on the exact month) that law was rewritten and now it does not matter what type of vehicle you are in, seats belts must be worn.

I stand beside myself corrected! :D

I was wondering if that law actually got passed or not!

Bear
05-07-2008, 08:39 AM
the law did in fact pass.

but I have also found that it does not matter if the police can't see inside a lifted tacoma from their drivers seat. :D they don't mess with me as I have pulled up right next to them with my window down and not wearing a seat belt and the officer just nodded and drove off.

nees1212
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I know it does not seem fair that jeep type vehicles are allowed to run doorless, while other vehicles are not.

Another thing a Jeep (and fj40's) has that our vehicles don't is a lip at the bottom door sill. This is just another technicality in regards to driving without doors.

Bear
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
yup. I forgot about that, running doors is not always about keeping the occupants of the "offending" vehicle safe, but more towards keeping the "public" safe.

No one likes (let's say for the sake of discussion) flash light batteries flying at them from another vehicle while it is turning a corner.

DN1911
05-07-2008, 09:13 PM
i would just put them on a run. if you get pulled over, tell them you were unsure about it and you will put your full doors on as soon as you get home. i would almost bet money they will let you go with a warning.

i plan on finding out if and when Carl get my truck back to me.

GOT COPE?
05-13-2008, 06:26 PM
In GA, technically all vehicles that came from the factory with doors, should have doors on them when in use. This includes Jeeps.

The reason Jeeps get away with it, is back in the day, doors were a factory option and a given Jeep may not have come with doors. Basically, here all Jeeps are "grandfathered" in, for lack of a better term.

As far as trucks, Georgia is extremely lax as far as vehicle conditions. As long as you have a tag, current reg. sticker, and at least one operating headlight, you'll be fine. :D

Ive driven my truck w/o doors from Atlanta to Blairsville GA, passed no fewer than 12 cops and not one gave me a funny look. I did get some suprised looks from random peeps though. :)

As far as tube doors, I think having a tube door on your truck, would cover the law as far as having a "door" on the vehicle. But this is GA.

DN1911
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
that's how i think indiana will handle it also, carl is suposed to have them done next week...............