: ome 882's

boostedextcab
05-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I'm sure this subject has been beatin to death......but Im going to ask anyway. How much lift will the 882's provide in the front. Im running the 3" RUST-tek lift now and my stock trd springs are wamped ( 1 too many times getting all 4 off the ground I guess). Im looking to stick with the 3" hight, maybe 3.5". What kind of setup would get me there with the 882's. Ive heard nothing but good about them....any info would be great. Thanx

atwinda
05-13-2005, 05:53 PM
If you like jumping, then I (and I am sure most other will agree) suggest that you invest into some higher quality coilovers. OME are nice, but will not take the abuse of jumping. I think you would also have to use a smaller spacer to get 3" of lift out of them. TRD SC? if you can spend the $$ on an SC get donahoes. When you beat the crap outta them, you can rebuild them and be on your way, rather than having a tosted set of OMEs.

I also see you have a 3" BL, and you are jumping? You realize that is extremely.. oh nevermind... jump all you want, just post the pics when the cab sheers off the frame.

mudferret
05-13-2005, 06:33 PM
There's some info about OME in the tech/faq section. And to second what Atwinda said, if you're jumping your truck on a regular basis, look at other options...and get ready to open up several other cans containing worms as well... If you're into jumping you should get ready to spend a lot of money on other things as well.

OME's are great for additional clearance for slow speed wheeling.

boostedextcab
05-13-2005, 08:08 PM
rest assure my jumping days are over guys. i have already had to cut out and weld in new floor sections from my body lift coming through the floor. my days of hardcore wheeling are over. just want enough to clear my 33's....all i do these days is a lil light trail riding.

hytenor
05-14-2005, 01:56 AM
rest assure my jumping days are over guys. i have already had to cut out and weld in new floor sections from my body lift coming through the floor. my days of hardcore wheeling are over. just want enough to clear my 33's....all i do these days is a lil light trail riding.

what motor? 2.5+" for the v6 and close to 3.5" on the 2.7 after settling.
OMEs are NOT designed for jumping or hi-speed desert running nor will then support a winch and maintain much lift. They are great for rock crawling, however, offering probably the most flex/articulation of any coil/shock combo out there.

w/o some trimming you won't clear 33x12.50s with less than 5" total lift and even then you'll rub.

boostedextcab
05-14-2005, 08:42 AM
what motor? 2.5+" for the v6 and close to 3.5" on the 2.7 after settling.
OMEs are NOT designed for jumping or hi-speed desert running nor will then support a winch and maintain much lift. They are great for rock crawling, however, offering probably the most flex/articulation of any coil/shock combo out there.

w/o some trimming you won't clear 33x12.50s with less than 5" total lift and even then you'll rub.

I have or should i say had close 6"s of lift now. I want to stay the same. So maybe the ome's with a spacer will do the trick. With the 3" revtek and a 3" body lift rubbing wasnt too bad with 33x12.50 on 15x8 wheels. I have the 3.4 v6....2.5"s of lift from the spring and a 1" spacer will do the trick and improve my ride greatly. Like I said before, Im not looking to jump anymore....just some trail riding. Jumping + body lift = 4 cab mounts coming through the floor and $700 less in my pocket for repairs. Does anyone know if bilstein makes thier front strut with the nickle finish like the rear 5100's?

hytenor
05-14-2005, 09:56 AM
I have or should i say had close 6"s of lift now. I want to stay the same. So maybe the ome's with a spacer will do the trick. With the 3" revtek and a 3" body lift rubbing wasnt too bad with 33x12.50 on 15x8 wheels. I have the 3.4 v6....2.5"s of lift from the spring and a 1" spacer will do the trick and improve my ride greatly. Like I said before, Im not looking to jump anymore....just some trail riding. Jumping + body lift = 4 cab mounts coming through the floor and $700 less in my pocket for repairs. Does anyone know if bilstein makes thier front strut with the nickle finish like the rear 5100's?

you cannot add a 1" spacer to 882 coils, they can't tollerate that much extra preload. 880s with a 3" kit will work or 881s with a 1.5" kit but the taller 882s will fail quickly with too much preload added. ...been there, done that ;)

boostedextcab
05-14-2005, 11:45 AM
you cannot add a 1" spacer to 882 coils, they can't tollerate that much extra preload. 880s with a 3" kit will work or 881s with a 1.5" kit but the taller 882s will fail quickly with too much preload added. ...been there, done that ;)

whats the hieght of the 880s and the 881s?

hytenor
05-15-2005, 12:40 AM
whats the hieght of the 880s and the 881s?
365,375 and 395mm for 880,881 and 882. They are made of the exact same wire and are all rated at 500#.

PsychoTaco
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I just installed OME 882 with comfort shocks last weekend. I guess my old springs were really sagging since I gained 3.5 inches! I took the measurements from the fenderwell to the center of the rim. My tacoma is a 2000 extended cab with the v6 engine along with 92,000 on the ticker. Hope this helps!

hytenor
05-16-2005, 02:39 PM
I just installed OME 882 with comfort shocks last weekend. I guess my old springs were really sagging since I gained 3.5 inches! I took the measurements from the fenderwell to the center of the rim. My tacoma is a 2000 extended cab with the v6 engine along with 92,000 on the ticker. Hope this helps!

that sounds about right for initial lift. your OE coils would definitely have sagged some...nature of the beast...so your actual lift figure may be slightly off. It will depend entirely on how much wheeling and how crazy you get doing it as to how much and how fast the 882s will settle down to the average lift of around 2.5+" on a v6 excab. A street queen may never settle out much lower than 3" where a well wheeled rig settle out after a few hard runs.

Keep your CV boots clean and spray with silicone every now and then to reduce the wear. Do not use WD40 or Armoral on them as that will collect grit.

boostedextcab
05-16-2005, 03:37 PM

sure does...thank you

boostedextcab
05-16-2005, 03:38 PM

also where did you buy yours from and how much if you dont mind me asking?

PsychoTaco
05-16-2005, 05:28 PM
I bought mine from 4WheelParts TruckFest that was held here a couple weekends ago. they had sales price on everything at that event. A rep from OME was there and I went ahead and took the opportunity to order them. I got the 882 springs for $120 and the shocks for $190. I was planning on purchasing them from Wheelersoffroad.com, but I went with the cheaper prices. :) I did, however, order the Deaver 3-leaf AAL and 5100's from wheelersoffroad and I'm waiting for them in the mail.

As much as I dislike 4WheelParts for their lack of knowledge pertaining to the stuff they carry, they will match the prices online. Just a recommendation. Wheelersoffroad has a better customer service though. :)

PsychoTaco
05-16-2005, 05:34 PM
I bought mine from 4WheelParts TruckFest that was held here a couple weekends ago. they had sales price on everything at that event. A rep from OME was there and I went ahead and took the opportunity to order them. I got the 882 springs for $120 and the shocks for $190. I was planning on purchasing them from Wheelersoffroad.com, but I went with the cheaper prices. :) I did, however, order the Deaver 3-leaf AAL and 5100's from wheelersoffroad and I'm waiting for them in the mail.

As much as I dislike 4WheelParts for their lack of knowledge pertaining to the stuff they carry, they will match the prices online. Just a recommendation. Wheelersoffroad has a better customer service though. :)

SAR_Squid79
04-28-2006, 01:41 PM
So I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I have a ToyTec 3" Spacer Lift (NOT ToyTec/OME).

If I buy a set of OME 882's and put my ToyTec 3" Spacers in them, it should be okay, right? My TRD Coils are starting to sag, and I don't have the money for Donahoes yet.

hytenor
04-28-2006, 01:48 PM
So I searched and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I have a ToyTec 3" Spacer Lift (NOT ToyTec/OME).

If I buy a set of OME 882's and put my ToyTec 3" Spacers in them, it should be okay, right? My TRD Coils are starting to sag, and I don't have the money for Donahoes yet.

can't do that. the 882s are good for a 3+" lift on 2.7 trucks and 2.5+ on the v6 trucks. Add 3" to that and your truck dies ;)

I have heard of using OME's 880s with a 3" spacer but you'd better have a v6 and manual hubs ;)

SAR_Squid79
04-28-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm a Prerunner. I ain't got hubs!

**EDIT**
I was thinking backward - I was thinking that the OME 882's were the softer, and 880's were the most firm.

Makes sense, now.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

hytenor
04-28-2006, 03:01 PM
I'm a Prerunner. I ain't got hubs!

**EDIT**
I was thinking backward - I was thinking that the OME 882's were the softer, and 880's were the most firm.

Makes sense, now.
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ometaco.htm

they are all the same weight rating and wire size. Only the height is different between them. 882- 395mm, 881-375mm, 880-365mm

even with a prerunner you shouldn't go more than 3" just to keep your upper ball joints happy ;)..
you will get more lift than the 4x4s so adjust the height ratings up at least a half inch from what you see on the chart in the FAQ section.

in other words...the 82s should give you about 3" on a v6 truck.

0stepside3
04-28-2006, 03:11 PM
If you're just going with the OME 882s and N91s or sc struts, trdparts4u.com all the way! I got mine today, $332 shipped :D

SAR_Squid79
04-28-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm just looking to replace my worn TRD coils. My shocks and everything are still good to go.