: 99 Taco shreded belt (A/C?)

fondigley
05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
My brother and I just drove about 900 miles from Baltimore to Florida in his 1999 2.7L Taco. He said that when he drove up to Baltimore from West Virginia on Sunday that a belt began to squeel. Then yesterday he took a look and it appeared to be his drive belt to the A/C compressor, or at least we think. (The belt on the left when looking under the hood from the front of the truck.) He said that belt was split and it looked like the idler wasn't turning. Well about 2 hours into our trip today, we took a look and the belt had pretty much disappeared. There was a little piece still holding on. His mechanic in WV doesn't charge him for work, just parts, so he is thinking about waiting to get back, since we did most of the drive down with no problems. But it is suppose to be in the 90's and I wouldn't mind rocking the A/C.

1. How important is this belt?
2. Should we try to replace the pulley and belt while here at my moms?
3. How hard would it be for us to fix this?
4. Are there any specific tools needed for this job?

Quick Draw
05-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Super easy to replace that particular belt....but not so easy to fix the pulley.... On that one, I believe it's the only one that has any decent amount of room to spin a wrench on the belt tensioner. And that's skid plate off, coming up from the bottom. Might as well replace the other belts while you're at it. As I recall, you have to take the others off anyway.

1. Not important if you don't mind having no AC. It doesn't spin anything else.
2. I would....
3. It's tight spaces, for sure. The pulley is a hell of a lot easier to take off if you have a belt tightened around it. You might have to put a belt on it, then take it off.
4. End wrenches....mostly 14mm for the belt adjusters and like a 17 for the pulley.

Good luck finding the pulley. At least for my power steering pulley, nobody had one, except the dealer for $100. I got one at the Yota Yard for $20.

Avsfreak1234
05-14-2008, 09:31 AM
with the 2.7 its the alternator pulley tensioner thats the pain in the ass that you need to drop the skid for. the other two belts and tensioners are relatively easy to get to with a wrench...12mm I think. I did all my belts at a HOW not to long ago. dave may remember dropping the skid with me to get to that alternator belt :D

and oh, kyle, there is no such thing as a tight space in a 2.7 engine bay :D

fondigley
05-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. If I can get my brother off the golf course at all on this trip, maybe we can get to it. I'd like to do a little wrenching on his truck.

Chalkie
05-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I think I am missing something here. Why are you thinking you need to replace the pulley?

fondigley
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
We think it siezed up and that is the reason it shredded the belt. Or at least I read some articles on that last night and this is what they suggested to do. No?

poorboyota26
05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
put some safety glasses on and watch the tensioner pully as you crank the motor and turn on the AC that will tell you if it's spinning or not. Check the AC brackets and make sure that the compressor hasn't come loose and off alignment (that's happened to me before).

Have fun getting him off of the golf course. :D

Chalkie
05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I have had belts shred just from being old. But, yes, check to see if the a/c and tensioner pulley are turning freely. If the belt is badly damaged you may not be able to rely on the belt turning anything. You can always simply try to turn them by hand.

RedRunnertc
05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Do Tacos have the compressor clutch built into the pulley?

The A/C clutch in my '89 fragged and took out the belts and stuff.