: Need help getting timing belt on

Dr_Wu
05-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Okay, so I'm changing my timing belt and everything went okay until I tried to put the new belt back on. I cannot get the new belt back on the last pulley. I used the Blue point tool to compress the tensioner as far as I could. I tried tensioning the left cam gear (not sure I did it right though). Has anyone had this problem? All of the write-ups about timing belt replacements make it seem like the belt just slips on. This is really frustrating me, but I'm sure the neighbors are enjoying my swearing fits.

Thank for any ideas or suggestions.
MO

grillmasterp
05-15-2005, 02:02 PM
- So you used the tensioner tool and have inserted the pin- to hold the tensioner in place

Install the belt from the lower crank first-
You should be able to put a ratchet or breaker bar on one of the crank pulleys to give you some slack-

Also - some medium size binder clips or light duty spring clamps are a good way to hold the belt on the pulley

Dr_Wu
05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I ended up using an extension bar for a 3/8 drive to lift the belt over the last pully. Slid right on after that. Put it back to gether and the timing stayed correct plus the motor starts. So far so good.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
MO