TTORA Forum banner

Purchasing an FJ40

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wanabecruisen 
#1 ·
I am about to sell my bike and purchase an FJ40. I've found a '77 with the original straight 6 for $8000. There is only one rust spot on the back of the truck, none to be found on the frame or floor board, it's got its hard top and a fairly clean interior. I love Toyota trucks, I've got an '08 Taco and want to add this to my family of cars.

Do you all think this is something I should jump on?

Is there anything else I should look for on this truck before I buy it?

Thanks

#2 ·
You need to go check out ih8mud.com and have a look around. I've owned 2 FJ40's. My current 79 i've had for 8 years. These are extremely primitive vehicles compared to a tacoma, but they are a lot of fun. You'll probably learn how to work on them pretty quick. 8 grand for a solid road legal truck sounds like a good deal to me. My first one was a 77 that I bought for $150 and drove home. Of course this was 1991. My 79 was 5 grand and I towed it home from PA to NH. The market had changed a little.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I've wanted one of these FJ's since I saw one that belonged to a friends father back when I was a kid. I've also got a '69 Camaro, so I'm used to working on older cars. Besides, I'd love to take this out with my brother and his CJ Jeep, show him how it's really done.

#4 ·
Got any pics?

If it has little or no rust as you suggest, and is all original, and miles are under 150k, then I think $8k sounds like a decent price, at least for Colorado. I've got a 76 FJ40 that I bought a few months ago, and among my other discoveries is that prices (both reality, and people's opinion) are highly variable and highly regional. Price shopping on craigslist (using craigs helper) is a good way to see what's out there. Ebay prices tend to be inflated.

If its the original 2F, check it thoroughly for oil leaks. Check the diffs, tranny and transfer case for leaks. Check for signs of repainting and/or body work on the fenders, door sills, bottoms of doors, and in the tub. Not that any of these are deal breakers, but could create room for negotiation.

Good luck. I've been really happy with mine so far.

#5 ·
Depends a lot on where you live. It's a little high in my opinion but clean originals are getting harder and harder to find. I've been holding on to a 75 that I got from the original owner a couple of years ago. Almost completely rust free and only 52,000 original miles. Tune up, fluid change, new spring and shackle bushings, and brake work are all I have done to it (converted to 4 wheel disc brakes but kept all the original parts) Been contemplating selling it lately but can't seem to talk myself into it. I need to replace one of the hard top sides (small spot of rust on the original one and found a correct year side that is completely clean) and think about a repaint (original green) before I do anything more. Keep looking - you'll find the right deal for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.