: TIME TO CHECK- Taco & Runner

cchark
05-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Just a friendly reminder to anyone who has had their Tacoma or later 2-3 [?] gens of Runner- Lower balljoint[s] to control arm[s] apart and dont recall using a good thread locker, CHECK YOUR 4 or 2 lower bolts!!!

If you know you didnt Locktite them, it's a quick 15 min of your life and $5! Pull each bolt back out one at a time [no need for jacking- can do as it sits wherever], toss some of the red stuff on the threads, and torque them back down. It could save you thousands O $$ and maybe your life :D. The 5 rigs I've now seen loose/sheer lower bolts in the past 6-7 years because they came loose were all at very low speed wheelin'. I would hate to be that sukka that looses it on the highway!!!

Lysmachia
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Just a friendly reminder to anyone who has had their Tacoma or later 2-3 [?] gens of Runner- Lower balljoint[s] to control arm[s] apart and dont recall using a good thread locker, CHECK YOUR 4 or 2 lower bolts!!!

If you know you didnt Locktite them, it's a quick 15 min of your life and $5! Pull each bolt back out one at a time [no need for jacking- can do as it sits wherever], toss some of the red stuff on the threads, and torque them back down. It could save you thousands O $$ and maybe your life :D. The 5 rigs I've now seen loose/sheer lower bolts in the past 6-7 years because they came loose were all at very low speed wheelin'. I would hate to be that sukka that looses it on the highway!!!

TRU DAT!

We I had a similar problem with my steering knuckles and they flat out sheared off. Had to get a FROR knuckles to replace them, and haven't had a problem since! Also had a similar problem when the bolts on my break calipers weren't locktited (When I bought it) eventually they failed and I had to replace the whole hub. (The machined in bolt to the cast part was stripped). We locktighted that baby nice and good!

Good reminder Chris!

Avsfreak1234
05-19-2008, 05:40 PM
what about the uppers? its the only one ive taken apart.

ike
05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I try to locktite everything. it is cheap insurance.