TTORA Forum banner

Here's mine - 76 FJ40

12K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  SAR_Squid79 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got new shoes, so here's a couple of pics. I bought this in Feb., so it's pretty new to me. I plan on keeping it mostly original, and wheelin it on light to medium trails in the summer time, and occasional trips to Ace Hardware. I might add a Lockright in the rear, fold n tumble rear seat, and a new roll bar, but we'll see.

Specs:

1976 FJ40
original 2F, 4 spd and transfer case
X53,000 miles (probably 153k)
some rust on fenders, amb doors, rear sills (but not too bad)

The new I added:
OME springs
OME Nitrochargers
OME steering stabilizer
OME greasable pins and shackles (except for rear shackle which I left as is)
OME poly bushings
Maxxis Bighorns
16x7 steel wheels

New to me, from Baton Rouge.

After some upgrades

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice rig! Love the old FJ's. Especially like the new rims.

#7 ·
Thanks guys.

Rafael - Lockout hubs are on most FJ's, but some (rare) trucks exist with the original drive plates. Mine would be one of those rare originals unaltered by the dealers in the US that added the hubs. But I plan to add locking hubs some time soon to reduce the wear and tear on the front axle. For now, the front axles are always engaged.

#12 ·
That's the plan - keep 'em around as spares. Plus, I'm kind of a pack rat with original parts. I try to keep everything that's original in case me or someone else wants to take it back to the way it started out.

#15 ·
Hate to repeat but nice eye for the tires and wheels. I read the thread and saw the first pic and was like duma$$. Then I saw those were the wheels/tires it came with and then saw the ones you put on. It looks GREAT, I would keep it very stock as well. They are so classic, If I ever decide to buy oneI would keep it original! Take care of that rear quarter panel rust and you have a great little toy!

#17 ·
Thanks. I agree - those old shoes were pretty bad. The tires were really old and cracked - one of them separated about a square foot of steel belt from the tire at 60 mph driving home from Baton Rouge. The tire still held air, but the flap of rubber and steel was violently beating against the fender. I'm lucky I made it home with no other major problems....

The rust is a bit more extensive than just the qp; the rear sill behind the tire carrier is the worst of it. But its not so bad that I can't enjoy this rig for many years before I decide what needs to be done to the body.:welder:

#25 ·
NICE LOOKING RIG YOU'LL ENJOY IT:cool:

#26 ·
Just got new shoes, so here's a couple of pics. I bought this in Feb., so it's pretty new to me. I plan on keeping it mostly original, and wheelin it on light to medium trails in the summer time, and occasional trips to Ace Hardware. I might add a Lockright in the rear, fold n tumble rear seat, and a new roll bar, but we'll see.

Specs:

1976 FJ40
original 2F, 4 spd and transfer case
X53,000 miles (probably 153k)
some rust on fenders, amb doors, rear sills (but not too bad)

The new:
OME springs
OME Nitrochargers
OME steering stabilizer
OME greasable pins and shackles (except for rear shackle which I left as is)
OME poly bushings

New to me, from Baton Rouge.

After some upgrades

awe man i'm so jealous dude , that rig is one of the most nicest FJ40's i have ever seen !!!

#28 ·
well tell him that he can't have it!!!:flipoff3:

#29 ·
Thanks! Top is off, and she's finally seeing some trail time.

Unfortunately, I may have to swap out the H42 already. The transmission locked up in reverse, then wouldn't engage any of the gears without some serious manipulation of the stick. Could be an issue with the synchros, but I haven't opened it up yet.

#31 ·
A couple weeks ago, I would have said soon, but with the transmission locking up on Slaughterhouse, I've lost all confidence in her. I've got to swap in a new 4 speed, or open up the top and see what's up.

Wheels were made by Stockton Wheel in California - about $100 / wheel. Price isn't too bad, but only worth it IMO if you need a custom size and BS, and you want that smoothed out steel look. I wanted something akin to the OEM FJ40 wheel, but a 15x5.5 rim (OEM size) limits the tire options - plus I really wanted to run 255/85 tires. 16x7 and 3.25 BS just isn't out there off the shelf.

Otherwise, places like Wheelers and Summit Racing have good steel wheels for $50-$70 in standard sizes.

#33 ·
Wheels were made by Stockton Wheel in California - about $100 / wheel. Price isn't too bad, but only worth it IMO if you need a custom size and BS, and you want that smoothed out steel look. I wanted something akin to the OEM FJ40 wheel, but a 15x5.5 rim (OEM size) limits the tire options - plus I really wanted to run 255/85 tires. 16x7 and 3.25 BS just isn't out there off the shelf.

Otherwise, places like Wheelers and Summit Racing have good steel wheels for $50-$70 in standard sizes.

I really want the smoothed out steel wheel look, so im going to have to look into that and get a set made. Do they offer a color on them, or just ship them white?

#34 ·
They will powdercoat them if you like, but I opted for bare metal since I wasn't sure exactly what color I was going with (and easier maintenance). Pain in the ass to prep and paint, but you have access to better tools and resources than I do.

They are the Series 22 wheels if you look at their website. They only take orders over the phone, and it took 6 weeks to get them after ordering. Stockton has some bad reviews if you read/believe the 'net, but my experience was really good - they did exactly what I asked, and delivered when they said they would.

#35 ·
Matt, would you be willing to let me test fit 1 or two of those wheels on my truck so i can kind of get an idea as to where to start? I plan to run something damn similar to that (either the 22 series like you have, or the 72 series, with a little less back spacing then factory, and a 255/85/16). I could swing out to you if you're willing to do that? PM me and let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.