: TRD locking rear diff. operation?

matt20714
05-16-2005, 08:15 PM
I just bought my 2003 tacoma xtracab trd sr5 v6 (manual) a week ago. I wanted to make sure the locking rear diff is working but when i push the button the light blinks and won't constantly stay on. it blinks in 2wd and 4wd. what am i doing wrong? sorry for my ignorance. thanks in advance. -matt

snowjerm
05-16-2005, 08:40 PM
You have to put the truck in neutral, and the t-case in neutral, then push the button, and then engage four low. Your locker will only work in four low, there is a thing called a "grey wire mod" which enables you to engage the locker in 2 high, 4high, and 4low. Your blinking light is telling you, you can't engage while in gear.

atwinda
05-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Wrong, the blinking light means the locker is not engaged.

But yes, you must be in 4lo (unless you do the grey wire mod) for the light to go solid. You may have to roll back, forward, or turn from side to side to get the locker to engage.

snowjerm
05-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Well yeah, my bad, the blinking light means it is not engaged, but maybe, could it be, perhaps because you can't engage it in gear, which means not engaged? I think in general the light means you are doing it wrong!
Edit: Just going by what the owners manual tells ya. Not trying to be a dick. :cool:

atwinda
05-16-2005, 11:06 PM
You can engage the locker with the transmission and transercase in gear (just so long as it's in 4lo or you have done the grey wire mod. 4lo requires the tranny be out of gear. You can also be moving at up to 5mph and the locker will engage. The locker doesn't a "top speed" but care should be taken at speed with it locked.

matt20714
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
thanks guys, i did what you guys said and it engaged. The rearend clicks when engaging and disengaging. Hopefully this is normal???

SAR_Squid79
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Mine clicks when it engages and disengages, and I haven't had any problems. I'm pretty sure it's normal.
*You can engage while in gear, as long as ur not going over 15MPH. I engage and disengage on the fly all the time.