: Transfer Case seal bad?

mrdoug
06-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I was removing the drive shaft on my 85 to take it to Boulder Driveline for a new one piece. When I pulled the front off the t-case flange, I got a face full of gear oil (yummy).

I'd noticed a heavy splattering of something mixed with dirt (about 1/4" deep) sprayed across the bottom of the cab and had thought it was just grease coming out of the ujoint and hadn't been cleaned in a long time. But now I'm wondering...

Is there supposed to be gear oil coming out of the drive shaft flange on the back of the t-case? I'm thinking no.. if I'm right, is it probably just a blown seal? or is this an indication of other problems? I think it was less than 1/4 cup but hard to tell.

PS.. to the bastard who torqued the drive flange nuts on this thing to 4 gazillion ft/lbs, fuck you very much asshole!

Quick Draw
06-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Lol that flange nut is a bitch....

I just did this like a week ago. Just pull the driveshaft, and the flange. Pry the old seal out with a screwdriver, and tap the new one in. Real easy... I got a new seal from Napa.

thefatkid
06-02-2008, 07:05 PM
if there is oil in there that means it is leaking past the splines to the flange. Along with replacing the seal add some F.I.P.G. to the splines, being that is is not critical regular silicon selant will also work. PS the nut is supposed to be tight. I would recommend tight as hell with loctite to boot. I perfer the B.F.I. method!

F.I.P.G. (form in place gasket)
B.F.I (big fucking impact)

RedRunnertc
06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I think Doug is referring to the 4 14mm(wrench) bolts that hold the DS to the tcase flange, not the big 30 mm (wrench) that holds the flange on the output shaft.

mrdoug
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Troy got it right, sorry if I got the terminology wrong.

Sounds like the seal is semi-easy to replace, I'll give that a shot. Unfortunately no Air compressor, so no BFI, but I'll figure something out. A floor jack has been helping break those bastards so far, but it's only 19" tall and that tcase is a good 2 1/2 - 3 foot up there. I can actually situp under my truck and have to reach up to get at this stuff.

Considering the center bearing was completely shot (rubber coming out in large chunks and reports from follow drivers telling me it looked pretty damn scary) do you still think it's probably just a seal? or is there a bearing in there someplace that might be screwed up as well? This t-case is behind a g-series tranny which is behind a 350. Not sure how much torque was coming thru there throwing that drive shaft around but probably a bit more than the 22R it was designed for.

RedRunnertc
06-02-2008, 07:35 PM
If you could get it down to the HOW we could get it done easy. I'll be working on my transmission this weekend ...

mrdoug
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
So, Leave it to Napa....
The guy says he has a rear output shaft seal for my truck with an auto tranny, but not a manual. I'm 99% sure the t-case is the same even if the input shaft is slightly different for auto vs manual.

Can anybody check me on this?

mrdoug
06-05-2008, 08:49 AM
If you could get it down to the HOW we could get it done easy. I'll be working on my transmission this weekend ...

I got some people coming over Saturday and was going to go run Moody on Sunday, but I think I'm going to skip out on it tho because my taco is making some funny noises (ok not funny, expensive sounding tho).

It could be an adventure taking the 85 down to longmont, are you going to be still working on your's Sunday you think?

RedRunnertc
06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Probably ...

RU55ELL
01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
What is the part number for that seal?

Lysmachia
01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Probably ...

I thought you said you were gonna be all done by the time I got home! :o

Ok kidding.

mrdoug
01-14-2009, 11:23 AM
What is the part number for that seal?

Sorry, that was months ago and I don't have the reciept any more.

Molly, check the date on those posts.. this was from last summer. Ron's been broken/fixed 2 or 3 times since then.

Lysmachia
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah I realized that when I asked troy via email if we were wrenching or snow wheeling... LOL Sorry bout that. I haven't been sleeping too well ;(