: Mtn bike

Lucky13TRD
12-15-2004, 07:53 PM
I am looking to get into mtn Bikeing. I am not looking for a real $$$ bike but something with front and rear shocks. I am in socal so tell me what you have.

HoT_DoGgIN
12-15-2004, 08:27 PM
I know that I dont like the front and rear shocks... i prefer just the front forks to have shocks. I've heard that the "hard tails" are more effecient, and when you're offroading or biking on trails, you have better control if you have a hard tail... I had an aluminum huffy piece of garbage as far as bike names go, btu it was bulletproof and very light, which was a huge plus... might want to look into something light, and with a "hard tail"

xcmountain80
12-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Alright brother finally someone to talk to with a topic that I am very familiar with.
1st take into account what type of riding you will be doing.
2nd What is your budget
3rd locate a reputable shop just cause it has shimano all over it does not mean its all good
4th front and rear suspension on a bike is all good but it all depends on what you can afford too
5th are you going to race or just trail ride or ride with your girl
email me if youd like id love to help

xcmountain80@yahoo.com

Aaron

mudferret
12-15-2004, 08:41 PM
I am looking to get into mtn Bikeing. I am not looking for a real $$$ bike but something with front and rear shocks. I am in socal so tell me what you have.
Everyone knows how to ride a bike, but if you want to learn how to riiiiide a bike, do it on a hardtail, you'll learn some serious skills that way. The former president of the North Shore Mountain Bike Association (Lee Lau), is a crazy and talented rider who prefers to ride a hardtail off a 10' drop...

Just like skiing, don't buy shaped skis off the bat, learn how to carve before you buy a ski that does it for you.

Lucky13TRD
12-15-2004, 08:49 PM
Wow thanks for the help folks. Ill be looking at a HardTail along with SoftTails. Anymore suggestion would be great. Aslo I did BMX and street since I could ride.

mudferret
12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Wow thanks for the help folks. Ill be looking at a HardTail along with SoftTails. Anymore suggestion would be great. Aslo I did BMX and street since I could ride.
Buy a chromo hardtail with a short, and sloping top tube...

like my Rocky Mountain Blizzard...which happens to be for sale...

Blizzard=THE original free ride bike, and you can pretend it's a BMX too

Lucky13TRD
12-15-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks man, Do you know how much that bike runs for? I went to there site just no $$$. Thanks for the help

mudferret
12-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks man, Do you know how much that bike runs for? I went to there site just no $$$. Thanks for the help
They don't sell a complete Blizzard anymore, they only sell the frame, and a sweet frame it is, Reynolds 853. When I bought my bike in '99, MSRP was ~1800 USD, but I was "sponsored" by Rocky so I got it for a lot less. Go to mtbr.com (http://www.mtbr.com) to research bikes.

SEAN_at_TLT
12-16-2004, 12:38 AM
If you want to be comfortable and don't have goals of being a professional then starting on a full-suspension bike is totally acceptable. Contrary to what someone said, a hardtail is neither more efficient or controllable, in fact in many cases exactly the opposite is true. Today's suspension bikes are very well engineered to not rob your energy and by keeping the wheels in contact with the ground you are able to better steer and brake. Also you can remain seated over rough terrain while climbing which actually saves energy as well.

Are you looking to do all-around mountain biking or do you want to focus on XC or freeriding or any other niche in particular? Just like trucks, bikes have different purposes. You can build a truck for the desert, the rocks, mud etc. Bikes are the same. I know you said you want something reasonably priced but I'll spam a little anyway on the off chance. I am selling my custom all-purpose full-suspension mountain bike here's a link to the ad MY BIKE (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105280)

If you think you want a hardtail, the Rocky Mtn that the other guy is selling is a great bike too, Reynolds 853 is a super high grade Cro-Mo and is good stuff.

calamaridog
12-16-2004, 01:12 AM

I have a decent hardtail that you could try out if you are in San Diego. The bike is for a shorter rider as I am vertically challenged. Or borrow a bike from someone and try a few different ones to get an idea of what you want.

Wgasa84
12-16-2004, 01:47 AM
dude before you buy try out my bike...

xcmountain80
12-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Ok ok I race Mtn bikes and wasnt going to say anything Yes fact is I did learn everything on my hardtail there are pros and cons but you cant effectively argue the matter unless you posses both Honestly I like both of mine one. then when i could afford a sweet ass ride i bought my full suspension Santa Cruz Superlight I think an Ellsworth Truth is next. :)

Aaron

elgecko
12-16-2004, 11:43 AM

You should check out http://www.jensonusa.com/ in the heart of the 909. They're currently blowing out their '04 bikes. With regards to the full suspension vs hardtail, you'll generally get better components on a "reasonably priced" hardtail than you would on a "reasonably priced" FS. They do make a difference. If you're pretty sure you'll like biking, you might as well bite the bullet and buy a nice FS IMO. Check out the Gary Fishers, you get a lot of bike for the $$$!

909...RESPECT!!!

Felixatvtc
12-16-2004, 02:41 PM
To the origional poster, this has been the most helpful site(link below) i've found when it has come to mountains bikes. I just got into it a few months back myself :D These guys know there stuff, tons of great deal, and a lot of feedback on products

http://forums.mtbr.com/

Good luck

Josh

mudferret
12-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Contrary to what someone said, a hardtail is neither more efficient or controllable, in fact in many cases exactly the opposite is true.
I hope you're not referring to me, because that's not the point I was getting at at all. In a lot of cases, very technical riding, etc... I agree that an HT is harder to ride. It's a great way to steepen up the learning curve though.

That said, the only type of HT I'll ride is steel.

Lucky13TRD
12-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks Ivan Ill look into that shop.