: Front end noises

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 12:58 AM
So I'm starting to think I grenanded my diff, but not quite sure yet. There's some signs that point to it, and others that don't. Here's the situation, starting with the first sign of trouble:

On my way up to Longmont to swap to 35" tires, I heard some sort of noise, while merging on to 120th. Shortly afterward, my steering seemed to lock up. I managed to get pulled over. I turned off the truck, and looked at the steering rack, and everything. All looked fine. I got back in the truck, and started it to try and turn the wheels. With the power steering belt squeeling the whole time, I managed to very forcefully get the wheel to turn full driver. Then I forcefully got it turned full passenger. After doing this a couple more times, the steering seemed completely fine, and I never had a problem with it again. I had no I idea what the hell happened, and I still don't know.

I got to Molly's safely, and put 35" tires on. I drove to Carnage, and through a good portion of it with no issues. I was easy on the truck, and never throttled it hard. Eventually I noticed a metal-to-metal ticking noise that was dependent upon my wheel speed. "Ting ting ting ting"....you get the idea. I looked under the truck....everything seemed okay...no popped CV boots.. The noise would even go away for a minute if the truck got bumped a bit. Above 15mph, the noise is either undetectable or non existant.

I lifted up the front end of the truck tonight to investigate. It's only on my driver's side, and will not make the noise by spinning the pass tire. The noise is made in exactly the same spot every 1/3 of a turn, which happens to be the same as the number of flat sides on the CV. This combined with the fact that it seems to me the noise would be made every 4.3 turns if it was the diff.

That makes me think it might have something to do with the CV. However, the prior incident makes me think its something wrong with the diff.

The gears I put in were used with 100k+ miles, and thrown in with a new crush sleeve, 1 new bearing, 1 used bearing, and the backlash and such set professionally by Drivetrain Industries. Because of the used parts, the could not guarantee their work, which I was fine with at the time...:rolleyes:

Well, I was saying that I need lower gears for 35s....it just might happen if I blew up the diff. Lookin' at probably around $800 minimum just to regear probably....and that's to slap it together like I did last time.

Opinions on what the hell is up? I would tear into it tonight, except that I have to go to work tomorrow, and I can't really have a torn apart truck on my driveway, as it's in the way of the other vehicles at my house.

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 01:03 AM
It's times like this that I want to say FUCK IFS, and start cutting....but at that point I'm almost required to beat up and break my truck even more...

fondigley
06-13-2008, 01:23 AM
I feel your pain. I really just hate wierd noises on the truck.

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Figured it out... The problem explains everything....but now I have a new question:

WTF is this, and where did it come from:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/fretslider51/DSCN1911.jpg

I found this thing wedged inbetween my diff and steering rack, resting on the very top of the CV where I couldn't see it until I finally got a really bright light up there. This is why my steering locked up. This is why it happened every 1/3 of a turn. This is why it temporarily goes away sometimes. I pulled it out, and there was nothing that was holding it in. It appears to be some sort of bracket for a wiring harness...but its hard to say.

This is not the weirdest thing to fall out of my truck...but its close. It doesn't quite top the level, railroad tie, and chizel I found hanging out inside the fender when I first bought it. I just cannot figure out where the hell this came from, and how it ended up there. I don't really think its important. I'm just glad that the noise wasn't nearly as expensive as it sounded.

mgoose82
06-13-2008, 01:36 AM
its used for two things, one it holds a hose in place, and two it is a lift point for pulling the engine. i left it off of my truck when i rebuilt the engine and it hasn't caused a single issue in two yrs now. if you want to put it back on it goes on the drive side of the engine just a bit forward of the firewall

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Hmm....interesting. Thanks for the information. Now all I want to know is why the hell did mine fall off? Haha. I think I'll just leave it off...

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 02:08 AM
Well...that was a hell of an ordeal, for such a simple thing... That was really stupid, in a way. It was more of an ordeal because my dad's old crappy floor jack and jackstands from the '80s aren't big enough for my truck. It's pretty dangerous to lift things at my house...:eek: I really need to invest in some better tools....like a new torque wrench... For a guy that has always lectured me not to buy cheap tools, because you will spend more replacing them, we sure have a lot of broken cheap shit...but I suppose he realizes that he's made that mistake before...

Anyway...I'm off to bed....problem solved.

Lysmachia
06-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Kyle, glad you figured it out because when I looked I could see nothing! Oh and FYI, go to sears and pick up the $99 set that includes 2 Jack stands, 1 floor jack, and a creeper! (Troy and I have 2 sets of those, thus all our jack stands and we use them all the time) well worth the investment! :D Get that first. Then the torque wrench...

So how you lovin tippy's tires? Tippy looks like a little princess in 31's... LMAO

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Those are 33s Molly....lol. They're not huge 33s....but 33s nonetheless. And I am loving them Molly. Getting that problem fixed made me like them that much more. I've got a line on some of my own to purchase. I'm checking them out Sunday in Loveland. It's just good to know that I can fit them without any major issues, so I really appreciate that Molly. I really got to paint my rims black too. The black rims are just badass. And you're right, Tippy does look funny. Haha.

RedRunnertc
06-13-2008, 05:51 PM
We might be willing to make you a deal on those ... and then you wouldn't have to switch tires out ...

mgoose82
06-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Hmm....interesting. Thanks for the information. Now all I want to know is why the hell did mine fall off? Haha. I think I'll just leave it off...

i know when i pulled my engine to rebuild it that piece fell off and i dropped my engine about 4ft to the ground. luckily the old (and warped) heads hit the ground and diddn't cause any actual damage so i was happy about that. but i know how you feel "how the hell did those bolts get loose". some questions just mey never be answered

Quick Draw
06-13-2008, 11:07 PM
We might be willing to make you a deal on those ... and then you wouldn't have to switch tires out ...

I'll have to see what the others look like on Sunday, then maybe we'll talk. That would be nice and easy, but I kinda get the feeling discount tire or whatever would shit themselves if you brought them one of those wheels to rebalance....:lmao: No offense, of course... I'll think about it.

00regcab
06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
discount tire throws fits EVERYTIME i take my truck in to get my tires rebalanced.

a rock rashed wheel, with crushed weights, and so on... along with the truck, bobbed, with body damage and such doesnt make them too fond of balancing your tires, and they always hassle me beyond belief about balancing them. Last time i straight out told the manager to quit bitching, and balance my fucking tires. They have certs paid for on them THROUGH discount, and discount promises free lifetime rotation/balancing when you buy tires from them.

mgoose82
06-17-2008, 12:02 AM
discount tire throws fits EVERYTIME i take my truck in to get my tires rebalanced.

a rock rashed wheel, with crushed weights, and so on... along with the truck, bobbed, with body damage and such doesnt make them too fond of balancing your tires, and they always hassle me beyond belief about balancing them. Last time i straight out told the manager to quit bitching, and balance my fucking tires. They have certs paid for on them THROUGH discount, and discount promises free lifetime rotation/balancing when you buy tires from them.

hey next time you go in there if they start bitching, tell them you're with Goosman Landscaping and you're about to pull your whole "Fleet acct" over to Big-O-Tire. all the stores around parker now, act like they love me and my truck, plus the managers themselves bring me a cup of coffee