TTORA Forum banner

Noob synth oil question

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Icepuck72 
#1 ·
Howdy all,
I am changing over to M1. I have 81k on my '99 2.7l 4x4.
I have heard some stories about the synthetic oil removing "shellac" upon the first dose of synth. I have also heard that an oil cleaner before the change to synth. is a good idea. SO........

Is an oil cleaner a good idea before changing to synth.?
What cleaner is a 'good' cleaner? I was going to use seafoam...?
Is there anything else I should do / know before changing to M1?

I have read much on this site and I am sorry if this is overly redundant.

Thanks
Mike

#2 ·
Switching over to synthetic oils can potentially be a bad thing. The thicker regular oil can cover up and seal cracks inside your engine. Switching to synthetic which is a less viscosity will sometimes seep through those cracks making oil leaks. I'm not positive this will happen, but i've heard multiple cases of this happening. On cleaning agents i've personally used Sea Foam and have nothing but good results come of it! It's also pretty cool to watch the look on your neighbors faces as they come outside to see all the smoke your truck is pouring out.

Kaleo

#4 ·
Switching to synthetics is a very wise choice. It will definitely improve the longevity of your engine, not to mention break your wallet every 5000 or so miles.

I switched to synthetics when my truck hit 10000 miles, hoping to get the best of that 400K mark.

#6 ·
yeah synthetics are awesome stuff. unless you're engine is leaking real bad i would go for it. your best bet will be a multigrade 5w30 or 10w30. don't buy that racing oil stuff they sell 50w or 60w whatever it is. had somebody come in just yesterday with a 04 sequoia at the shop and brought their own oil, it was valvoline vr1 50w racing oil... fortunately i was able to talk him out of it. haha sorry for the dumb story, i'm hella bored. later

#7 ·
When you switch to synthetic motor oil, do you have to do anything special? Or just drain out the old regular 5w-30 and add in full synthetic? Or should I do half synthetic and then switch to full the next oil change?

BTW, could I still add in lucas oil treatment with synthetic oil?

Thanks,
Kaleo

#8 ·
Just do the SeaFoam treatment a hundred miles or so before your next oil change, then drain the old oil and add the full synthetic. Don't mix full syn with dino juice...might as well buy a blend if you're going to do that. The synthetic will help clean the engine, but you shouldn't need to change it before your regularly scheduled routine as long as you use a quality oil filter. Gaskets and seals that have become saturated with dino oil MAY pose a leakage problem with full syn oil, but IMO the benefits outway the risk.

#10 ·
hawaiianbro said:
Switching over to synthetic oils can potentially be a bad thing. The thicker regular oil can cover up and seal cracks inside your engine. Switching to synthetic which is a less viscosity will sometimes seep through those cracks making oil leaks. I'm not positive this will happen, but i've heard multiple cases of this happening. On cleaning agents i've personally used Sea Foam and have nothing but good results come of it! It's also pretty cool to watch the look on your neighbors faces as they come outside to see all the smoke your truck is pouring out.

Kaleo
If he is leaking oil at 81k miles he's got much bigger problems on hand. It's not a bad thing to switch to synthetic, no matter what the mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.