: BB's in a small glass jar....

Duplexx
06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks to all for the help with the bed bolts. Makes it easier knowing how many your looking for.....

Now for my next problem. I have a noise coming from my truck that sounds like BB's rattling around in a small glass jar. It happens at all speeds, in all conditions, and it sounds like it is coming up between the cab and the bed. I was told once that it could be needle bearings. If so, has anyone ever expierenced this, and how tough of a fix is it?

Thanks!

thefatkid
06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Does it change with speed or engine rpm?

Duplexx
06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
It does mimic the increase and decrease, but doesnt run the gammet.

Willie
06-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Have you checked u joints and perhaps carrier bearing? Pinion yoke?

Mythica
06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Have you checked u joints and perhaps carrier bearing? Pinion yoke?

x2 check the u joints. If its an extra or double cab, check the center support bearing, they wear out, and get a lot of play in them.

My center support bearing made a rattling noise at one time.

If it is the center support, take off the rear portion of the driveshaft and look into the center support, you will see a large nut. Unstake the nut, tighten it down good and then restake it. It worked on mine for about 2 or 3 years, before i replaced the shaft recently.

ziggy428
06-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Have you checked for debris in between the plastic panels and the sheetmetal in back? Or is it a grinding noise? just throwing that out there.

toyota808
06-19-2008, 12:12 AM
it could be a heat shield

Quick Draw
06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Had the same sort of thing not too long ago. I checked under the truck, and pushed up on the driveshaft on either side of the carrier bearing, and it moved up about a 1/2". I also had some very strange rattling noises.

I pulled the driveshaft, took it down to Rocky Mountain Driveline, went and had lunch, picked it up, then went home and installed it with a brand new carrier bearing. I think it was like $100 or something like that.