: How to get start?

peanutlen
05-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I am 100% novice to the off-roading. I used to have tacoma 4x2 before I crashed it. I have Sequoia, but it is too heavy to go off-road. Now I am re-thinking to buy a new 05 Tacoma 4x4 with TRD.

I have few questions about Rubicon though. It seems to me the few reasons that Rubicon are better(?) than Tacoma are.
1. 4.11 ratio
2. Rear disk break
3. Bigger tire
4. Dana 44

Are those factors important?

I am the off-roading novice. I am not going to do rock crawling at begining, should I care that ratio? I may consider to lift my care a little (3-6"?).

If I buy the 05 Tacoma 4x4 with TRD, do I even bother to lift it? If I do, does that mean the suspension will be replaced with other better shocks and coils? Then should I consider just by the rear locker without TRD?

To make the question simple, is the 05 Tacoma 4x4 with TRD enough for off-roading to place like Moab or Rubicon, CA?

If not, where do I start?

Thank you so much.

Mike
05-19-2005, 11:12 PM
To make the question simple, is the 05 Tacoma 4x4 with TRD enough for off-roading to place like Moab or Rubicon, CA?

There are many trails in Moab that range from novice to expert. Moab is an awesome place to visit, I wish I could get out there more than once a year.

I am very close to the Rubicon. While Moab is a general area with lots of trails for all skill levels, the Rubicon is one specific trail. It's a relatively difficult trail, a stock 2005 Tacoma with no body protection would most likely get killed there.

I have been enjoying the Rubicon since the early '90's. If you have some specific questions I can probably find an answer for you.

The fourth annual TTORA Rubicon Run information is here:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~mike/rubicon/

Later,
....Mike

atwinda
05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I have few questions about Rubicon though. It seems to me the few reasons that Rubicon are better(?) than Tacoma are.
1. 4.11 ratio
2. Rear disk break
3. Bigger tire
4. Dana 44

Are those factors important?

Yes and no. Yes a lower transfercase ratio and lockers are better, but (here is the no) you have no idea how to drive them. The lockers will get you into more trouble than you know how to handle (being that you are completely new to wheeling). You need to get a truck that can grow with you. As for bigger tires, small lift will let you fit much larger tires. I think people have been fitting 285s (metric 33s) under the 05s without lift (however I suggets you do).

As for the "front dana 44". The diff is a dana44, but the axle shafts are apartently dana33 tubes and shafts. So if you're keeping track, the diff is way stronger than the axle shafts, which will lead to many a broken shaft.

Biggest thing no matter what route you go, take the wheeling slowly. Go with some experienced guys who can show you the ropes and spot you through the tough spots.

Also we have lots of members who run stock with rock sliders and can make most moderate trails, Body protection is cheap when you look at the cost of repairing things, and a great place to start modifying your rig.