: Timing Belt/Water Pump Tool Help ASAP

dirtyXplorer
06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,

93 4runner V6

I am attempting my timing belt and water pump and I need a few tools. It looks like I need a tool to hold the crankshaft pulley so I can loosen it, a puller for it, and another tool to hold the cam pulleys to losten the timing belt.

Does anybody in/near Denver have these that I can borrow?

Thanks

ike
06-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Sounds like a job for a HOW, but i dont know if you can wait until the next one is scheduled. I personally dont have any of the special tools that you need.

DriftinCO
07-01-2008, 06:08 AM
I rely on the expert skills of our master techs on here to do that kind of work. Mainly because he does great work, I don't have the right tools, and we get to visit while he's knocking out the task with really cool air tools and other gizmos that make an otherwise challenging task seem really easy. And his time is quite affordable!

fjcruzer
07-01-2008, 11:52 AM
PM blowntaco (Daryll) or thefatkid (Brian)

dirtyXplorer
07-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all your reply's. I almost have everything apart and I ended up making one of the tools. I have never done a job like this but its fun and everything is going smoothly. :)

mrdoug
07-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Then you must not be doing it right ;)

Those timing belts are a pain in the butt. Out of curiosity, what did you use to hold the crank pulley still while you unbolted it?

dirtyXplorer
07-02-2008, 06:48 AM
I can post some pictures this afternoon but I bought a little piece of flat stock for Lowes and drilled two holes in it. then I put one side under the frame rail and bolted the other side to the pulley. It flexed alittle but worked pretty good.

mrdoug
07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Yeah, pix would be good if you don't mind. I had the kind of the same idea in mind. I have some flat stock and was thinking of drilling 2 holes, then cutting out a center hole to fit the socket thru. Not sure how I'm going to cut thru this 1/4" stock tho (no plasma torch at my disposal).

ike
07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Looks like you need to add a plasma cutter to your list of things to buy:rolleyes:

dirtyXplorer
07-02-2008, 11:49 AM
My problem now is lining up the belt. I can get it on and point all the marks an the sprokets at 12 oclock but the FSM says there should be a mark on the belt by the lower timing cover that lines up with the edge and there is not there. Does anybody know a good method of lining everything up coprectly? I really dont want to put everything back togather and have to take it back apart.

Thanks

RedRunnertc
07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I was gonna say when I did mine I didn't need any specialty tools...

The mark on the belt is optional - just line up the marks on the cam sprockets

dirtyXplorer
07-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks RedRunner. I got the mark on the belt lined up but when I rotate the engine twice to chech the alingment it always seems to get off one tooth on the two cam sprockets. Do I need to ad tension to the belt when I rotate the engine?

dirtyXplorer
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah, pix would be good if you don't mind. I had the kind of the same idea in mind. I have some flat stock and was thinking of drilling 2 holes, then cutting out a center hole to fit the socket thru. Not sure how I'm going to cut thru this 1/4" stock tho (no plasma torch at my disposal).

http://yotatech.com/gallery/data/500/0701081537.jpg

Here is what it looks like. Its kind of thin but it held the 181Ft-lb good.

mrdoug
07-03-2008, 08:42 AM
oh, this is a 3.0!.. heh... was thinking 3.4 Thanks for the pix anyway