: Clunk

ike
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
When starting out and turning slowly i have a slight clunk that seems to be coming from the front drivers side suspension. My initial thoughts are a ball joint going out. Will get around to lifiting it up and checking out the front end in the next day or two. What are your guys thoughts on what it may be. i know my description sucks, but throw out ideas and questions.

ike
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Ttt

mrdoug
07-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Don't have anything for you to check, but I have the same thing from time to time. Does yours happen everytime? Did it start after our run this last weekend?

We could strap you to the side of the truck or under it while I drive so you can properly diagnose the issue.

ike
07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
Has been doing it for a while. It seems worse since the run this weekend. it happens when i am turning at slow speed, such as leaving a parking space. It doesnt happen everytime though.

ike
07-02-2008, 08:00 AM
After jacking up the truck and pulling on some stuff it appears that the noise is coming from the steering rack. Guess i will have to replace it sometime soon.

bluetaco
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

My rack has had a very slow leak for over 100K...the BG steering treatment does wonders...it started to cluck and the leak showed up in the boot over the tie rod shortly after...

the ball joint is something you can feel in the steering wheel... it is a very distinct feeling!

I reissued my alignment problems this weekend, so I am seeing how much my frame is bent before I try to correct it again!

ike
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
I havent checked that. I will tonight before i drive home though.

mrdoug
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Aren't bad ball joints discovered by moving the wheel in/out at the 12/6 o'clock positions? We put his truck on jacks and shook the wheel at 12/6 and got zero play, 9 and 3 had quite a bit, which I understand indicates a steering rack issue, not ball joints.

ike
07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
X2 on what doug said, could someone confirm this.

Also it is full of fluid for the power steering, so that is not the issue.

ike
07-18-2008, 08:29 AM
So last weekend i figured my noise out. It was the coil overs. Apparently at eagle rock i cracked both lower mounts on the coilovers. Last Friday one finally failed leaving my with nothing holding up the front passanger side of the truck. It is fixed now, but i will never buy fab tech again!

00regcab
07-18-2008, 12:31 PM
X2 on what doug said, could someone confirm this.

Also it is full of fluid for the power steering, so that is not the issue.

they can be discovered that way, depends on how bad they are.

My truck does the same thing, my mechanic spent 4-5 hours looking at it and couldnt find anything physically wrong with it, said its probably nothing to really worry about all too much

Don_G
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
So last weekend i figured my noise out. It was the coil overs. Apparently at eagle rock i cracked both lower mounts on the coilovers. Last Friday one finally failed leaving my with nothing holding up the front passanger side of the truck. It is fixed now, but i will never buy fab tech again!

That pax side CO again - that's you, me and Eric that I know of this summer.

What could make 'em break at the weld like that? I'd think a properly heat treated weld would bend severely before it would break. Mine cracked liek glass, and I don't know what from.

ike
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Mine didnt break at a weld, just broke clean through the lower mount casting. Had a 1/8 crack on the driverside also when i pulled it off. i atribute mine to haveing poor metal quality. The 882's that are on there now dont seem to have any problems. Gotta give a big thanks to Jeremy as he helped me out with parts on short notice and got the truck back on the road. By the way i need to call him about these.

ziggy428
07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I agree. Also yours have a thin ring, some others use a block with a machined hole.

ike
07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah, i think the fab techs may have been a machined casting, curious how it happened in the same spot on both sides though. Just glad i wanst out on the trail as it would have been hell to get her back home.