TTORA Forum banner

Noob needs info on LC's

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Gravel Maker 
#1 ·
Ok I am thinking about buying Land Cruiser and trying to research what different years have to offer.
I know some versions have a solid axle on the front.... Can somebody tell me what years had them?
So far everything I had read points me to conclusion that it is until 1992. But I could be wrong on that.
Thanks
P.S. I am still searching if you know good websites with FSM for LC different years please post...:)

#2 ·
Im pretty sure that LCs had solid axles all the way to the 100 series (1998). The 100 series was the first to have IFS, although im sure that toyota was aiming these at american house wives.

Although, they did make a "105" series for the South African/Middle Eastern markets that kept the straight axle, but just had the updated body.

#3 ·
Correct, the fj 80 1997 was the last year of the solid axle in the U.S.
Ih8mud.com has more info on land cruisers than you would ever want to know. Each model has forum with a faq sticky. They should answer any questions you may have.

#4 ·
1993-1997 best years. Solid front axle, electric lockers frt. and rr and the 1FZ-FE engine.

#10 ·
Depends upon your needs. 40s are tight for any more than 2... aka "jeep" size. 45 trucks are a bit tight for tall people. 45 wagons and 55s are "true" SUV style.

I'm still partial to 45s, 40s, 55s, and 80s... in that order:2cents: Of course, I've had a 40, building an extra cab 45(aka 10 year project), and just got a 55 to replace the Tacoma:lmao:

Biggest bastard about the 55s is there is virtually NO aftermarket support. This means no weatherstripping cheaply available. Be prepared to spend a LOT of money to clean one up. 55 is also one of those rigs you either like or hate. It grew on me. Almost got an 80 but went with a 55 instead.:D

As mentioned, check out ih8mud. VERY good site and mostly friendly:p

#11 ·
:D
Thanks everybody for help. I had been reading all the links you provided. I am going Sunday to take a look at 80.
I thought I scored 97 40th edition with lockers but lady got me all excited for nothing ( I guess it was not fully loaded after all) :rolleyes: Thanks to the noob section on IH8MUD website I saved myself a long trip for nothing.
:clap: I may still get that truck since lady was the first and only owner of the vehicle.
Now another question, is it worth spending time looking for 40th edition?
When I looked at the price difference between LC 40th edition and regular LC you can get ARB lockers installed for that much money.

#13 ·
Hard to say which model would be "best" in your situation without more info. From your signature line I gather that this would be a "trail toy" and therefore I would have to go with an fj40. If it's an all around "streetable" rig I might be swayed over to the 80 camp. Hard to beat auto and air on a hot July day but an 80 would pay a high price trying to keep up with a 40 on a serious trail. Not to say 80's are not capable - they are very much so. But, pull the top off your 40, weld up some spider gears, and you're off for a real wheelin adventure in your 40!

All that said, I'm keepin my eye out for a deal on an 80 for those light duty wheelin days in comfort.....:p

#15 ·
i've been looking for a 40 for when i get back from deployment as a project vehicle. I have always loved the 40 body having come from a jeep to toyota i feel its the best median. I have a lot of plans in mind already but I still need to do a lot of research. Just a hint on what i'm going to do is swap the front springs out for a coilover setup to cut the frame back close enough to steering rack to give me a better approach angle along with a new winch bumper.

The hard part on the 40's is trying to find the model that will best suit you since there has been so many additions and downfalls as the years went on. Such as the metals in the earlier models are less prone to rust vs. say the 1980's 40's. but then again starting in late '78-'79 they had disc brakes and in '80 they started making power steering more of an option. Also they improved the engine in '75. i'm going to look for a '75-'76

#16 ·
FJ40's closely followed by the FJ55......

Inhave 2 '73 40's a '69 55, the 55 is just sitting there waiting on some time to free up, maybe in a couple of years.......

Everyone is talking about the different aspects of the stock vehicles? The best thing about these is that they can be molded to fit your needs! The FJ55 I have will never be a restored vehicle, it has just way too much rust for that. Not that we won't fix it but that I will not spend $20,000 to bring it back to factory......It will have a SBC with an FJ62 front axle and a Ford 9" rear, likely an automatic with a 205 transfer.......They are made to be modified!

However if you find a complete stock one with no rust issues you would be a fool to tear it up.....They are very valuable in that kind of condition! But if you want to pull a trailer up a hill you better move up in the HP department!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.