: Total Chaos vs. Donahoe Racing

thenexus
07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
What is the difference between the Total Chaos and Donahoe Racing(Icon Vehicle Dyanmics) upper control arms?

howyadoin
07-19-2008, 01:49 PM
What's a control arm?:D

JJackson
07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Is the Icon one made out of aluminum where the TC is tubbing? I have the TC.

Tred
07-19-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not sure if all DR UCAs were adjustable, but I know the Tacoma ones were adjustable for alignment.

BOVADS
07-19-2008, 08:01 PM
both a god quality part.
spend your money elsewhere ..... like my house, come get my used upper burg arms, ill smoke you a deal:D
http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107218

TBob
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
why do u want different UCA?

Mark in Az
07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I think the tires rub on the 4runners.

thenexus
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
why do u want different UCA?

Suspension upgrade down the line (later this year).:D

TBob
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
after market UCA = Waste of money

Suspension upgrade down the line (later this year).:D

wheelerjake
07-22-2008, 06:02 PM
yep

chris4x4
07-26-2008, 08:25 AM

yep
Why do you guys say this? I have TC UCA's on my DD and it seems to drive better and its a little smoother off road. :confused:

crawler#976
07-28-2008, 10:19 AM
After market UCA - guess it depends on what you want to do with your truck.

I've been pleased with the TC upper arms and extended D'Hoe/Icon combo. You will be doing more maintenance with TC upper arms. The bushings need to be greased, and the Uniball's squeak unless cleaned and lubed with TriFlow. I spend most of my time wheelin' on FS roads/Trails with the occasional trip on the LP/CK, DeSoto Mine, or Smiley Rock type of trail, and they work great for that type of stuff. It's also ball to run some of the remote dirt roads up here at speed with good suspension - I've hit 90+ on occasion between Prescott and Seligman. When you can see the road for 6 or 7 miles in front of you, it's kinda tempting...

Jaco
08-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Is the Icon one made out of aluminum where the TC is tubbing? I have the TC.

No, tubbing is when you get trashed, naked and laid in your neighbors hot tub. Tubing is the stuff that cages and suspension components are made of. :D

TBob
08-04-2008, 12:08 PM
why would UCA change the ride quality? that makes no sense. Other than the mind set I paid all this money - yea it fells better. Only valid reason I've heard is some have problems with rim interference - I say you're better off getting different rims. Anyone I've talk to that have had these say they make noise and end up failing sooner then the stock upper arms - so again what's the point. I have yet to have a stock UCA failure and I have been know to wheel my shit pretty hard and for several years. Not that it doesn't happen or will eventually but there are alot better places to spend money on to actually gain performance and UCA aren't one of them.

Why do you guys say this? I have TC UCA's on my DD and it seems to drive better and its a little smoother off road. :confused:

chris4x4
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
why would UCA change the ride quality? that makes no sense. Other than the mind set I paid all this money - yea it fells better. Only valid reason I've heard is some have problems with rim interference - I say you're better off getting different rims. Anyone I've talk to that have had these say they make noise and end up failing sooner then the stock upper arms - so again what's the point. I have yet to have a stock UCA failure and I have been know to wheel my shit pretty hard and for several years. Not that it doesn't happen or will eventually but there are alot better places to spend money on to actually gain performance and UCA aren't one of them.

Thanks, T-Bob. In my case, My tires were awfully close to the stock UCA's, and I could not get the caster into spec. after the lift. After reading about them on the national forum, I thought "Fuck it", so I got them. When I said "rides better", I was meaning that the caster is back to stock spec and the truck tracks as it should. They dont seem to be makeing any noise, but they are only 7 months old, so who knows. If they end up being crap, I'll replace them with the stock ones and I'll have learned a lesson. :)

Jaco
08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
I have been know to wheel my shit pretty hard and for several years.

Yes, bob knows how to get some!

padesertboy
08-11-2008, 05:00 PM
I`ve beat on my hoes for 2 years now, without an issue. and with a lifetime warranty....... :D

free
11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks, T-Bob. In my case, My tires were awfully close to the stock UCA's, and I could not get the caster into spec. after the lift. After reading about them on the national forum, I thought "Fuck it", so I got them. When I said "rides better", I was meaning that the caster is back to stock spec and the truck tracks as it should. They dont seem to be makeing any noise, but they are only 7 months old, so who knows. If they end up being crap, I'll replace them with the stock ones and I'll have learned a lesson. :)

This is why I thought most people got them, but it does seem that a lot of people think they are going to do more than that for them. They are supposed to allow more droop, also, but that creates other issues. I would think that they would only be worth it if you need help getting the alignment right. Also, I think the Icons use the stick style joints and don't need nearly as much maintenance. but I could be talking out of my ass. :)

hornito
12-26-2008, 11:06 PM
new arms allow you to pick up a little more travel, especially with extended coilovers. They also allow for a convenient bushing swap and are easy to maintain, unless you think spraying lube into the uniball and greasing zerks is a lot of work....

Tred
12-27-2008, 10:39 AM
My zerks don't allow me to put much lube in it because the old dirty grease doesn't escape when I do so. I'm starting to think maybe it's not designed that way like U-joints are. To do a satisfactory job of lubing the bushings, I have to take the arms off.

soaz
12-27-2008, 09:26 PM
T,
I decided to send this post to you in a PM.

crc
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I have the TC uca's on my 4runner. They seem to work well but I am not a very experienced wheeler so I wouldn't really know the difference. Anyway what kind of upkeep/maitenence should be done w/ these uca's?