: CV Boot Clip?

musicmasta182
07-20-2008, 12:15 AM
So I got home from wheeling today and kinda noticed that my CV boot grease was flinging everywhere under my truck. The boots arn't cracked at all but I noticed that one of the little silver clips that clip on to each end of the boot was missing (see pictures attached). What should I do about this? I have never had to deal with the cv boots. Can I refill the boots with grease or...? And where can I find another clip?

Thanks Again,
Dan

ike
07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
you can refill the boots with grease, and replace the clip, but it would be more labor intensive and messy than just replacing the cv's. how many miles are on them? May want to just replace these ones, and keep them for trail spares in the future.

musicmasta182
07-20-2008, 10:46 AM
you can refill the boots with grease, and replace the clip, but it would be more labor intensive and messy than just replacing the cv's. how many miles are on them? May want to just replace these ones, and keep them for trail spares in the future.

Well I got about 160,000miles, but the boots have no cracks or anything in them. How much would a new cv joint cost and are they fairly hard to get in there. And also it didnt look liike to much grease had flung out, would I just be able to throw on a clip and call it good?

Dan

Jade
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
It doesn't look like you lost much grease at all. I've always had good luck using hose clamps on my CV boots. Open up the clamp rather than removing the CV axle. I would forgo trying to add additional grease. Removing the wheel will make access much easier, but I strongly suggest using a jack stand for support and not just a jack.

hurley842002
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM
x2 on the hose clamp. I've done it before and it works just fine.

blackmamba
07-20-2008, 04:03 PM
also make damn sure the boot is intact. stretch it and pull it around to make sure the edge is still in one piece. hairline cracks are pretty sneaky. otherwise, the hose clamp is an easy, cheap fix. if you really want to give a squeeze of the old grease gun in there. can't hurt.

RedRunnertc
07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
x4 on the hose clamp, but just remember that if grease can get out, most likely dirt can get in, and you MAY need a new CV in the future.

musicmasta182
07-20-2008, 08:53 PM
It doesn't look like you lost much grease at all. I've always had good luck using hose clamps on my CV boots. Open up the clamp rather than removing the CV axle. I would forgo trying to add additional grease. Removing the wheel will make access much easier, but I strongly suggest using a jack stand for support and not just a jack.

Well Thanks everybody. I wasn't to sure if those clamps popped off all the time or not, and if a hose clamp would do the job. But it looks like it happens quite often. I think I might just test the CV and listen for pops and sounds, and ill add grease, otherwise i'll just slap on a clamp and call it good till they start cracking, they are 160,000 miles old!

Thanks, Dan

musicmasta182
07-22-2008, 10:55 AM
So the boot was cracked in the back a little. Do you think I should replace the both cv joints, left and right, since in at 160,000 or do you think I should just get the boots replaced. And also how many miles can I go before I need to get them replaced?

Dan

fjcruzer
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
You can buy a boot kit and do it yourself, but still have to remove the CV. The CVs are not hard to swap out. I'd be inclined to buy two new ones, pop them in, rebuild the old ones and have two spares, but I'm a geek. There are also a couple of shops in Denver that rebuild CVs for not too much money.

musicmasta182
07-22-2008, 08:02 PM
You can buy a boot kit and do it yourself, but still have to remove the CV. The CVs are not hard to swap out. I'd be inclined to buy two new ones, pop them in, rebuild the old ones and have two spares, but I'm a geek. There are also a couple of shops in Denver that rebuild CVs for not too much money.

So I would just need to replace the boots, if I didnt want spares. Do the CV joints and axle get worn out, or do the just need to be cleaned filled with new grease and then re-booted.

THanks, Dan

ike
07-22-2008, 08:12 PM
the joints wear like any other moving part, but if kept clean and lubed they should be fine. For the labor involved why not just buy new ones though

fjcruzer
07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
So I would just need to replace the boots, if I didnt want spares. Do the CV joints and axle get worn out, or do the just need to be cleaned filled with new grease and then re-booted.

THanks, Dan

You're welcome Dan,

Yup, if you just want to keep what you have the boots can be replaced. The logic we crazy wheelers have is that since you have to remove the CV to replace the boots anyway, it's worth the cash to put in a new one and have the old as a spare. It also gets you back on the road right away since you need a couple of special tools or a shop to replace the boots (and it's kinda messy.) I believe you can get an aftermarket CV for your rig for <$100, some with a lifetime warranty, but I'd check with someone with the same rig and see what they've got.

As Isaac said, the CVs do wear like any other part, but if they are maintained they have that Toyota longevity!

Eric