: Cottora Summer Picnic

00regcab
07-26-2008, 02:27 PM
So, last year this got started a little late, and we ended up with a Cottora blizzard special :p It was definitely a blast though, but this time lets get the ball rolling a little earlier, and skip Tommy Knockers! (food poisoning, :( )

I was thinking of the following:

Wheeler Lake, Sunday August 24th.

Meet at starbucks in downieville (exit 234 off i70) @ 8:30am. Leave for the trail by 9am.

From my understanding, a damn near stock truck can do this trail, so i dont think it'll be much of an issue.

Then maybe stop somewhere on the way home for dinner and such.

Opinions/Thoughts?

hanksyota
07-26-2008, 03:02 PM
i need to get back with you guys. hopefully will be able to make a run soon. maybe this one??

00regcab
07-26-2008, 03:13 PM
i need to get back with you guys. hopefully will be able to make a run soon. maybe this one??

You just missed holy cross last weekend! You could of ridden with someone im sure!

ike
07-26-2008, 04:16 PM
and it happens again on friday.

fjcruzer
07-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Looks like a lot of windshield time. Guestimating it's about 345 miles on highway roundtrip without any trails included.

Also have this on the schedule:
FJ Pig Roast thing:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/south-west-region/54030-three-f-wekkend-proposed-cochef-5.html

Wheeler Lake looks like a cool trail though... hmmm...

djlarroc
07-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I may be down for wheeler lake on Sat only. Hopefully I get my rear diff fixed, then I'm good.

Quick Draw
07-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Well you know I'm down for Wheeler Lake, but I don't particularly want to drive around the state. I prefer to stay in one area, or go around the state on interconnecting trails... I might show up Saturday. Honestly, I really want to dirt bike up WL, because I haven't been able to in a couple years, and its an awesome ride. But I've got all kinds of options, with the cabin 10 min away...

00regcab
07-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Could pass on wheeler lake, and do battlement mesa and the white owl area, they're both pretty close to each other.

I just want to get up to the flat tops, i love it up there.

Quick Draw
07-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Come to wheeler lake with us in a couple weeks on my trip.... It costs the same in the long run as this trip would... Then I will go to White Owl and all that.

00regcab
07-28-2008, 12:07 AM
Cant afford to swing two long distance trips off of one pay check or i would go do wheeler lake and such. It would cost the same if i skipped out on this trip, wheeler lakes on my to-do list this summer, but im not going to be able to make it happen a weekend after holy cross.

Thats why im planning this pretty close to a month out.

CoTacoTRD
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
I may be down for wheeler lake on Sat only. Hopefully I get my rear diff fixed, then I'm good.

X2 on Saturday only at Wheeler.:D

Lysmachia
07-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Yeah as the gas prices keep sky-rocketing and what not... :mad: So I have to work on the 23rd (I know.. work???) I am helping a friend with her floral business. But what about Sunday? That way any Toyota tech's who often have to work saturday anyway can go too!

But we need somewhere closer Nate... if possible.

mayhem
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
X2 on Saturday only at Wheeler.:D

X3

Quick Draw
07-29-2008, 09:56 AM
X3

Guys, come to Wheeler on the 10th. If that day doesn't work for you, we can switch it around a bit.....but we need more people on the Mosquito Range trip...

00regcab
07-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah as the gas prices keep sky-rocketing and what not... :mad: So I have to work on the 23rd (I know.. work???) I am helping a friend with her floral business. But what about Sunday? That way any Toyota tech's who often have to work saturday anyway can go too!

But we need somewhere closer Nate... if possible.

Wheeler Lake, Sunday August 24th.

Meet at starbucks in downieville (exit 234 off i70) @ 8:30am. Leave for the trail by 9am.

From my understanding, a damn near stock truck can do this trail, so i dont think it'll be much of an issue.

How will that work for most of you?

Chalkie
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM

That does not jive with what Trail Damage has to say:

The trail also has some 4x4 challenges that are very difficult for stock vehicles and provide lines that will make even a big rig have to work to climb.

But I have never driven it, so I can not say for sure.

ike
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I hear the first obstical keeps some stockers out, but have never done this trail. As long as i have the funds i will be there.

00regcab
07-29-2008, 07:03 PM
That does not jive with what Trail Damage has to say:

But I have never driven it, so I can not say for sure.

Its just what i've heard from people who have driven it.

CoTacoTRD
07-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Guys, come to Wheeler on the 10th. If that day doesn't work for you, we can switch it around a bit.....but we need more people on the Mosquito Range trip...
Ok. I misunderstood that the first time I read it. I am fine with Wheeler on Sunday the 24th or maybe I will go on the 10th. Any chances this Summer Picnic might change to a closer day trail? Wheeler is a trek although I am not complaining about the gas but with it being past Breckenridge and a slow bumpy trail that would make for a late picnic.

The last time I did this trail in my other rig the first obstacle was a pain. Anyone with stock front bumpers would have approach angle issues and paint damage. But that was over 5 years ago and we all know how trails can change. I also recall a second line on that obstacle that was a large V of solid rock that you could strattle but if you weren't careful you could slip off and then we are talking body panels baby. But again that was a while ago so who knows how it has changed. FS might have done something to it too. I do remember pulling out a jeep at the top that was stuck in snow though. That was fun!