TTORA Forum banner

My "NEW" 1990 FJ62

37K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  DHwreckage 
#1 ·
Although I won't actually get my hands on it for a few more weeks (until my move to San Diego), I just bought a SUPER CLEAN 1990 FJ62 that will be my new Daily Driver / Grocery Getter...

...As this WILL NOT be a 4-wheeling rig, my only plans are to throw on a set of 32" BFG A/T's, probably on AR Teflon Mojaves. A 2" OME lift (for looks). Probably at some point I will look into getting a rear bumper that has a swing-away tire carrier. :cool:

See less See more
#7 ·
...As this WILL NOT be a 4-wheeling rig, my only plans are to throw on a set of 32" BFG A/T's, probably on AR Teflon Mojaves. A 2" OME lift (for looks). Probably at some point I will look into getting a rear bumper that has a swing-away tire carrier. :cool:
dont forget a front arb bumper, sliders, roof rack with lights, shovel, hi lift because you know it will look good with all this stuff. ;) and you KNOW 32s will look to small, just go straight to the 33s now and save yourself the trouble.

#10 ·
On one hand - YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT.

I've already thought of a front bumper, a roof rack, and sliders. I did consider going with 33's...

The thing is - right now my Tacoma is my DD, and I would probably get damn good gas mileage if it didn't weigh nearly 5000 lbs!

...This Cruiser is going to be my DD, and I don't want to weigh it down with that much steel. I heard that these things only get like 14 - 16mpg as is, so I don't want to push my luck with bigger tires, etc, etc, etc.

#9 ·
The truck was originally bought new in California. The original owner eventually moved to Colorado and sold the truck a few months later. The 2nd owner bought the truck in Colorado, but moved to California shortly after - but the 2nd owner's a CO native and kept the truck registered in CO. I will be registering it back in California - so I will have the fun SMOG police to deal with...

That 2nd owner is moving to Texas. He was originally asking $6500 for the truck but needed to sell it fast (so he wouldn't have to move it), and bumped the price down to $3000. As soon as he lowered the price, I jumped on it.

#22 ·
That 2nd owner is moving to Texas. He was originally asking $6500 for the truck but needed to sell it fast (so he wouldn't have to move it), and bumped the price down to $3000. As soon as he lowered the price, I jumped on it.

Damn! I need to get one of these deals on a DD. Nice find Jamie, you lucky bastard :D

#60 ·
WHAT that is a sweet fuckin rig i usually hate it when people chop the cabs off but that thing looks sweet ass!

#12 ·
#14 ·
My bad, man - I didn't know that was your cruiser. :eek:

It looks like it's badass on the trail, but it's just not pretty. I know all that sheet metal in the rear weighs a shit-load. Just like the 4Runners.

#15 ·
Only a few mods.....yeaaaaah riiiight. :bs: You won't be able to resist. Can't wait to see that thing all modded out running the So Cal trails.

Oh and... $3000???? You make me sick! I could have bought a small fleet of those for what i paid for my 80.

#18 · (Edited)
More than words can say! ...Some shit has gone down here at work in the last week and a half, and I had to be reassigned for my last 3 weeks before I killed (a specific) somebody. I wish I could just transfer today. I can't fucking stand this place anymore!

I am looking forward to getting this Cruiser too. I bought the same Sequoia wheels that Gadget has on his 4Runner to put on my FJ62. That should look pretty sweet!

#19 · (Edited)
My FJ62's new wheels:

17" Sequoia Wheels

**EDIT** - since I forgot to add this in anywhere...

The tires I'm running are:
TOYO Open Country A/T's
Size: 285/70/17
(32.7" x 11.2")

#20 ·
I really like the stock sequoia rims alot.... I dont want to change them. i cant see the pic are they powder coated or the stock gun metal color.. I would like to see what they look like on you rig can you send me a couple pics it sounds nice. I really want a cruiser

David.Taylor@ASAB.AFcent.AF.Mil

#21 ·
Here's a few more pics that I took today of the Cruiser:

The next time you see her, she will be sitting about 3" higher, and wearing new shoes!

#24 · (Edited)
I test fit one the other day (without a tire) and it seemed to be fine. I don't understand what you mean, but I didn't see any reason that they wouldn't work. We'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I had the tires mounted and balanced on those wheels today. Tomorrow I'm installing the 3" OME lift, and hopefully throwing the new rubber under there. If they don't fit, I'll give Marlin a call and get some wheel spacers expedited!

#27 ·
I test fit one the other day (without a tire) and it seemed to be fine. I don't understand what you mean, or see why they wouldn't work. We'll find out for sure tomorrow.

I had the tires mounted and balanced on those wheels today. Tomorrow I'm installing the 3" OME lift, and hopefully throwing the new rubber under there. If they don't fit, I'll give Marlin a call and get some wheel spacers expedited!
I meant the inside of the wheels might not clear the TRE with the wheels offset since your 62 has front leaf susp.

You would've found that out by now. I might be weong though. Good luck!

Nice 'Cruiser, BTW. :)

#25 ·
Sounds like a sunday wheeling trip is next on the list:)

#26 ·
very nice Jamie, too bad its already dented :(

#28 ·
Well the install went pretty well. This Cruiser has been a California car for its entire existance, so there was no rust, no corrosion, and all the 20 year old nuts and bolts came off like butter. The only exception was the rear driver's-side spring. The pin that goes through the spring perch had to be cut out, but that was the only hiccup.

I guess the pin had bonded to the rubber bushings, and that S.O.B. wouldn't let go for anything. After pounding it with a hammer for about 2 straight hours, I decided to break out the grinder. 30 minutes and two 5" cutting wheels later, I was back on track.

As I said before - I got the Ultimate Light / Medium 2" - 3" Lift Kit Part# ED60ULM from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

The kit came with:

2 - CS003F Front OME Emu Dakar Leaf Springs - (NOT SIDE SPECIFIC)
2 - N88 Front Nitrocharger Shock Absorber - (NOT SIDE SPECIFIC)
1 - CS017R A Rear OME Emu Dakar Leaf Spring - (Driver)
1 - CS017R B Rear OME Emu Dakar Leaf Spring - (Passenger)
2 - N94 Rear Nitrocharger Shock Absorber - (NOT SIDE SPECIFIC)
4 - SB1 OME Poly Spring Bushing Kits - (NOT SIDE SPECIFIC)
1 - OMEGS2 OME Greasable Front Shackle Kit (triangular) - (Front of Spring)
1 - OMEGS1 OME Greasable Rear Shackle Kit (triangular) - (Rear of Spring)
2 - OMEGP1 OME Greasable Pin Kit - (Front and Rear of Truck / Fixed (chassis) end of spring)
1 - OMESD24 OME Steering Stabilizer - (No Brainer!)
4 - OMEU51 OME U-Bolts & Nuts - (Front - Square)
4 - OMEU59B OME U-Bolts & Nuts - (Rear - Round)
1 - OME Center Bolt Spacer Kit - (Fit over rear leaf spring centering pins)

The install was very straight forward. At first I was confused by all the parts, and wanted to make sure I knew what went where . . . Once you get underneath the truck, you see that there's really only 1 way to install everything.

I took measurements before and after:
(All measurements are from the ground to the bottom edge of the fender)

BEFORE:​

Front:
Driver: 32 14/16"
Passenger: 33"

Rear:
Driver: 31 5/16"
Passenger: 31 1/8"​

AFTER:​

Front:
Driver: 36 3/4"
Passenger: 36 1/2"

Rear:
Driver: 38 1/2"
Passenger: 37 15/16"​

More Pictures!

...It turns out that HiLuxer was correct and I just ordered 2 sets of 1.5" wheel spacers from Marlin Crawler. Hopefully I'll receive those by Wednesday. The truck was okay for the drive home from the shop, but at full lock the Tie Rod does contact the inside of the wheels. Also on the drive home I learned that I need an alignment BAD! I'll take care of that tomorrow.

#30 ·
Nah...

I am inquiring about a Tire Carrier from CBI, but I can't start weighing this thing down with armor. It gets worse gas mileage than my Tacoma...

(Shhhhhh - Don't tell my wife! :wife: )

#33 ·
Damn that is ONE CLEAN ASS FJ62.
CONGRATS on finding one that sweet looking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.