: ARB CKMA-12 Compressor quit.

Don_G
08-05-2008, 08:12 AM
My ARB compressor quit while airing up my third tire Sunday afternoon after Antero. It slowed down and quit, making a typical burnt electrical smell.

Calculating up all the tire-pumping time and adding a few minutes for the lockers, I figure that pump ran between 50 to 60 minutes since I installed it in January.

So much for the new $250 "high capacity" ARB pump.

As usual the ARB customer service is superb. I got an RMA number and sent it in yesterday. They say they'll replace it free.

I certainly won't be airing up any tires with the new one. That means I'll have to carry two compressors on my small truck, which I resent.

RedRunnertc
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
That compressor is designed to handle airing up tires. A couple thoughts:

- duty cycle: might not be able to air up all 4 tires back to back, which would suck
- voltage: with the truck idling and the compressor on, what is the voltage? As you know better than any of us, lower voltage = more current = higher heat

AxleIke
08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
To add a thought:

ARB Mini Compressor has served me for 3 years without fail. Works wonders. On board air compressors suck. I have never seen one that I like.

Get CO2.

ike
08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Plus CO2 allows you to reset tires on the bead should you pop one.

AxleIke
08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Compressors have the alure of never having to mess with them again, or so you think.

The guys who've I've wheeled with that have compressors have had to buy compressors that were just as expensive as getting into an ultimate air CO2 set up. You can get CO2 cheaper if you hunt EBAY. The cheap ones usually crap out in less than a year.

As for the cost of filling, I get mine swapped at a welding store. It takes all of the time for them to ring me up. I walk in, pay 17 dollars, and walk out.

Now, obviously, that is a recurring cost.

I generally fill anyone's tires who asks for it after trail runs, but one tank I didn't, just so I could see how many fills I could get. On 33x9.50 tires, I got 45 fills. I did the last 8 or so in my garage, and then ran out, so I had to go to the gas station and fill the other 3 with air.

However, that is 11 trips. So, with helping others from time to time, that is usally about 2 to three times per year I have to get it filled. So 30-50 bucks.

WELL worth the money.

Consider that,

-I can reset my beads
-I can fill 4 of my tires in the time it takes a compressor to fill one (same tire, same starting pressure).
-I can run air tools

An engine driven compressor can do all of that too, you just lose AC.

RedRunnertc
08-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Or Oasis - they were running air tools off Mayhem's Oasis compressor ... but you're looking at $1000 IIRC

fjcruzer
08-05-2008, 02:01 PM
:2cents:

The ViAir continuous duty I have has worked without fail for almost 2 years airing up 4, 8 and 12 tires in sequence. I need to install an in-live evaporator, but I've been lazy and since I rarely use the 2.5gal remote tank... That tank should also provide enough PSI to set a bead, but haven't tried it yet. It weighs nothing, is bolted in place out of the way, and only requires swapping out the $2 air filter every-so-often. With all the weight I already carry, I'm loathe to add a CO2 tank, not to mention having to effectively strap it down.

That said, CO2 is probably in my future

:cool:

Don_G
08-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I checked the operating voltage when I first put it in. System was at 14.2 VDC, it was holding just over 12VDC at the compressor when operating.

The allure of the electric compressor for me was:

1) install it and don't have to fuck with it ever again. (That's blown!)
2) I'm out of room everywhere in my truck for camping trips, and this takes up no bed or cab room.
3) same system does both tires and ARBs.

ARB did not address my questions about the reliability record of this design. I think it's fairly new.

I did not get to tear it apart to see what went wrong as they wanted the old one. I strongly suspect the motor died of heat stroke - it would get hot when airing up tires. One hot day the thermal protection kicked in on the 4th tire. After that I started running it only 2 minutes per tire, which got me from 15 psi to 27 psi.

It had a burnt insulation smell when it died. It definitely needs a better heat sink/radiator.

I could use the same pressure switch/relay to cycle a ViAir compressor to run the ARBs. What model do you have, Eric?

RedRunnertc
08-05-2008, 07:27 PM
IMHO, if you REALLY want air, you're just spinning your wheels with a "regular" compressor. The ability to run air tools is significant. To do that, you need at least 4CFM@90PSI. The only electric compressors that will do that are the Warn Powerplant and the Oasis.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/inflatortest/inflatormain.htm

fjcruzer
08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, my ViAir only runs 1.27cfm. It takes about 2 minutes to air up one tire from 30-50psi or 3 minutes from 20-50psi, and the 2.5 gallon tank is supposed to provide "an instant high volume air charge for air locker setups, operating air tools, air horns, reseating tire beads as well as simple tire inflation."

Da-um! That Oasis is heavy "45lbs"!! Fast tho!

Don_G
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Eric,

Do you know the model number on your compressor?

Thanks,

fjcruzer
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Eric,

Do you know the model number on your compressor?

Thanks,

No problem:

ViAir 450C

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/viair.htm

Jade
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I have the same compressor that you have Don, installed this summer. I'll get some loaded voltage readings from mine some day. I've been using it to air up tires as well and it does get hot. I'll get some temp readings too. We'll see how long mine lasts.

Don_G
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Jade,

Has yours ever thermally protected itself while you were airing up tires?

Mine did so the first summer trip when I was airing up from 15 to 40. (That took about 3:35 per tire.) I then started doing only 2 minutes per tire, which at first got me up to 27/28 psi. It started taking 2:30 per tire on this last trip, then it died.

Good luck with yours!

RedRunnertc
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
On a side note, I can't believe you run 40 psi in that light truck of yours. ...

Don_G
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I bounce between 30 and 40 to vary the wear and handling. It handles more predictably at 40, so I tend to do the passes and high-speed runs at higher pressures.

Jade
08-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Jade,

Has yours ever thermally protected itself while you were airing up tires?

Mine did so the first summer trip when I was airing up from 15 to 40. (That took about 3:35 per tire.) I then started doing only 2 minutes per tire, which at first got me up to 27/28 psi. It started taking 2:30 per tire on this last trip, then it died.

Good luck with yours!I've yet to have it shut down. Doug did notice that the hose fitting at the compressor got hot enough that it was difficult to disconnect.

I've never timed a tire fill either though. I've only filled from about 15psi-35psi.

mrdoug
08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
The only reason it was difficult to disconnect was the burning flesh of my fingers. Hot was an understatement. My little portable compressor wasn't that hot after airing up 8 tires in a row (with short breaks in between.

fjcruzer
08-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I have to wear gloves to disconnect my ViAir after 4+ tires (after melting off my finger prints the first time...:rolleyes: )

Lysmachia
08-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Troy don't you have the same compressor as Don and Jade? If so... Quit airing your tires up with it ;) Just remind me to make sure we have the CO2 :D

Jade
08-07-2008, 08:54 PM
The only reason it was difficult to disconnect was the burning flesh of my fingers. Hot was an understatement. My little portable compressor wasn't that hot after airing up 8 tires in a row (with short breaks in between.That was you? I just thought I needed to bathe.

Molly, for some reason, I want to think that Troy's is a model older....(shrug).

RedRunnertc
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
No, my older one burned up and I got one of the new ones in Moab.

Jade
08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
So it's the electrical motors that are burning up and not the mechanical portion of the compressor correct? Or is the compressor seizing and loading the motor up too much till it burns up.....or don't we know that yet?

Don_G
08-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Just got a call from Matt at ARB. He said he had to take mine completely apart to find the failure. One feed wire was burnt. He said he'd never seen that failure before. He said they average 3 of these back per week, and they sell 500 per week. He said the 3 per week are due to startup problems on a new product, and they expect to get it down near zero.

He said it was absolutely OK to air up tires with these CKMA-12 compressors.

He's sending me a new one under warranty. ARB rocks! :missingto

Jade
08-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Just got a call from Matt at ARB. He said he had to take mine completely apart to find the failure. One feed wire was burnt. He said he'd never seen that failure before. He said they average 3 of these back per week, and they sell 500 per week. He said the 3 per week are due to startup problems on a new product, and they expect to get it down near zero.

He said it was absolutely OK to air up tires with these CKMA-12 compressors.

He's sending me a new one under warranty. ARB rocks! :missingtoCool, I'm going to go out and air up some tires just for the heck of it!

RedRunnertc
08-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, ARB's customer service DOES rock ... if you ask nicely, you can get a free set of spare parts from them ....

Don_G
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
ARB service DOES rock!

Just got a complete new compressor install kit with compressor, new filter, wiring harness, fuse, pressure switch, dash switch, relay and mounting hardware. Since the tech told me to strip everything off before I sent it in I now have spares for everything except the compressor itself!

ARB rocks!

fjcruzer
08-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Splendid! When do we roll (on rocks)? :D

Jacket
08-15-2008, 01:49 PM
That's cool. You might pay a bit more for ARB parts, but their customer service and replacement policy is top notch.

Don_G
08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Splendid! When do we roll (on rocks)? :D

I'll install it tomorrow, if I get ambitious. So Sunday would be good. :missingto

I agree Jacket, you do make up some of the ARB price by their customer service.

fjcruzer
08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll install it tomorrow, if I get ambitious. So Sunday would be good. :missingto

Are you coming to the ORS shindig? If so, you'll have to convince my better half (literally and truly) to let me play on Sunday :D

Jade
09-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Why I really put in an ARB compressor...
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d724b3127ccec55e703499d500000040O00CZOXLdm2asQ e3nwo/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=480/ry=320/
....and this is for you DriftinCO...
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d724b3127ccec55f4438b98f00000040O00CZOXLdm2asQ e3nwo/cC/f=0/ps=50/r=0/rx=480/ry=320/

Lysmachia
09-05-2008, 03:03 PM
OMG that is awesome!