TTORA Forum banner

Fj 40

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PreRunnin41 
#1 ·
Hey, I am looking into doing my first build. I have found a Fj 40 for sale for $4500 and i am looking for opinions on whether or not this should be my vehicle. The FJ is in decent shape. IT runs, and is road legal. I am not to sure on the year (1977?) something like that. It is not in the greatest shape of its life but i definately think it is workable. If the frame is good (not falling off beacsue of rust) and rust has not taken over, is this a good project vehicle to start on? I love the look and everyhitng about these old cruizers and basically i want some opinions. My plan is to make it into a capable 4x4 running 37's. I will do all the work myself and with the help of friends. I am no master mechanic but i fell i am capable. So just looking for some opinions.

#2 ·
ih8mud.com is a great place to ask questions like this, you probably wont get alot of response here. I have heard that 78 is the best year because it came with disk brakes.

#3 · (Edited)
opinions vary on "best year". Basically, early years had beter sheet metal, later years had front disc brakes, 4spd trans, 2f, etc. I like the early years unless you want to keep it completely stock. BTW - front disc started with 76 and up. 78 was the only year with fine spline pinions and 410/411 gears stock.

Values range quite a bit depending on loction and condition. Let us know where you are and poit a pic or two and we can give you a better assessment.

#5 ·
definitely check out i8mud.com. i have a 69 fj40 that im building up. if you got any other questions. email my dad don @ aba@swlink.net. he might be able to help you out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.