: MSV/Coney flats 8/17

ike
08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Like the title says. Plan on starting around 10. anyone interested?

extremepaint
08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
yes......

as always (well for now) will i need sliders or will carefull driving do the trick i managed not to sustain any damage on wheeler so im thinking i might gamble one more week

fjcruzer
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
You won't need sliders if you mind you lines, but be cautious of the undercarriage, there's rocks lurking in them thar puddles...

colorado125
08-11-2008, 10:55 PM
yes......

as always (well for now) will i need sliders or will carefull driving do the trick i managed not to sustain any damage on wheeler so im thinking i might gamble one more week

Ran it with just my front ARB bumper and the small lift and 32's with no issue. Would go if I wasn't working. And I dont really think its alot of careful driving, just common sense. Should be fine.

extremepaint
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
sounds good i feel alot more ballsy now that i have that cottora sticker on my truck! yea plan on me being there if nothing else comes up, too bad i get my mid skid plate on sunday:p

ike
08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
have yet to run either, but they both look more tame than wheeler.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=15

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=18

00regcab
08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Theres 1 section that can be a little challenging at the top of the hill to go up to coney flats, if you're open/open.

I ran this open/open in my 92 with 265/75/16 without a single issue.

mrdoug
08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm probably in. Work's being a bitch this week, so we'll see.

fjcruzer
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Theres 1 section that can be a little challenging at the top of the hill to go up to coney flats, if you're open/open.

Likewise, I ran the entire thing open/open no problem. A Nate said, the most challenging part of the trail is the first section of Coney Flats off MSV, but I managed to get all the FJs over the one middle-of-the-trail rock obstacle without any toys, and several were stock and on stock tires.

dr350jja
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM

I don't get it, so why then do you say "it can be a little challenging at the top of the hill to go up to coney flats, if you're open/open." :confused:

Quick Draw
08-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Okay, my employer is now officially awesome.... I now have a M-F schedule with a 4 hour shift everyday after school.... WEEKENDS OFF! Yes!

I know that I said I need a break from wheeling.....but holy shit, I have to take advantage of this! SO...this is going in the MAYBE pile, along with everything else I've been dreaming of ALL summer...

dr350jja
08-13-2008, 09:14 PM
What's the big water crossing like on Coney Flats? Is it deep enough to cause problems with engine air intake or the computer boxes in the vehicle? One report I read indicated the water level was over the top of a 32" tire. :eek:

ike
08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
you can see the water level in the trip report pics from a month or so ago. I think it should have gone down quite a bit since then though.

00regcab
08-14-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't get it, so why then do you say "it can be a little challenging at the top of the hill to go up to coney flats, if you're open/open." :confused:

its a bit challenging if you're open/open, it took a little bit of playing with to get through it, but it wasnt anything impossible.

the FJ guys probably did fine because of a different wheelbase, and more travel than my 92 had.

Its just like Carnage, rated a 5-9. You can make it easy if you pick the right line, or you can make it hard if you pick a more difficult line.

sl3807
08-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I would definitely like to check out this trail. If I can get the diff breather mod done on Saturday, I will be there. We going to meet up somewhere in the Fort / Loveland and caravan down? I have a buddy with a "cough" jeep that wants to run this trail, so he may join us.

Athena
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey guys I'm trying to get things sorted out. I originally had Kelly Flats planned for the TTT run on Sunday 8/17 but it seems most are not willing to drive that far out to do the trail. Now we're trying to figure out what trail to go on. Some mentioned possibly meeting up with COTTORA so the Trails Team can roll with you guys. Would you guys be willing to have us come along with on this trail. Let me know and I won't get hurt if you guys want to keep this a short trail..I understand what it's like to have 15 vehicles with a camera crew..

mrdoug
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I would definitely like to check out this trail. If I can get the diff breather mod done on Saturday, I will be there. We going to meet up somewhere in the Fort / Loveland and caravan down? I have a buddy with a "cough" jeep that wants to run this trail, so he may join us.

If you need help with that, I'll be around home in the morning and evening, but got plans in the afternoon (ORS BBQ). It's not hard at all, 30 min max job, just thought I'd offer.

Hey guys I'm trying to get things sorted out. I originally had Kelly Flats planned for the TTT run on Sunday 8/17 but it seems most are not willing to drive that far out to do the trail. Now we're trying to figure out what trail to go on. Some mentioned possibly meeting up with COTTORA so the Trails Team can roll with you guys. Would you guys be willing to have us come along with on this trail. Let me know and I won't get hurt if you guys want to keep this a short trail..I understand what it's like to have 15 vehicles with a camera crew..

No, it's our trail, you can't play on it.

Kidding... I don't see any problems with that, I was kind of torn between running this and going up to that kelley flats run anyways.

Athena
08-14-2008, 10:19 AM
No, it's our trail, you can't play on it.

Kidding... I don't see any problems with that, I was kind of torn between running this and going up to that kelley flats run anyways.

if you guys are cool with it...we'd love to come... you say 10:00 for meeting time? and that's at the trail head?

ike
08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
It would be great if you guys came. I hear this trail can accomodate large groups. I hadnt picked a meet place yet, so that is open for suggestions from anyone.

Athena
08-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Perfect! hey thanks for such a warm welcome.. I'll set plans...here shortly and let you know where we'll meet up with our group before the trail head here shortly..

Athena
08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Ok I'm gonna have all my folks meet up at the trail head around 9:00 at the far end of Camp Dick..so we're ready to go by 10:00 as planned. I also wanted all who are coming that we'll be having a pot luck..nothing special..but it'd be nice to have a few different dishes to enjoy. I'll try bringing some type of main entree..

RedRunnertc
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
meh - been there done that this year already, no reason to risk my f-ed up suspension to do it again

Great trail though - have fun!

mrdoug
08-14-2008, 11:16 AM
the trail head has a large parking lot that'll work for a meet up spot. On a Saturday morning, there's no telling how full it'll be by the time we get to it, but it beats the alternatives.

fjcruzer
08-14-2008, 11:36 AM
meh - been there done that this year already,

Great trail though - have fun!

Me too kinda mostly wish I could play

the trail head has a large parking lot that'll work for a meet up spot. On a Saturday morning, there's no telling how full it'll be by the time we get to it, but it beats the alternatives.

Yeah, watch out for the rampaging kids!

ike
08-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Cool, see everyone at the trailhead between 930 and 10

sl3807
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
If you need help with that, I'll be around home in the morning and evening, but got plans in the afternoon (ORS BBQ). It's not hard at all, 30 min max job, just thought I'd offer.

Thanks for the offer. It is more of a motivational problem :D. It looks like any easy mod, I just need to go track down the necessary parts, I have all the required tools and a garage to make this happen.

Hope to see everyone there.

Athena
08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

I think I might have read this wrong so I thought I would confirm 8/17 is on a Sunday... are you planning to go on Sunday or Saturday?

Athena
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
http://mobaganda.com/trailsteamrun817

here's the link for rsvp's so we know how much food to bring on Sunday..

fjcruzer
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
http://mobaganda.com/trailsteamrun817

here's the link for rsvp's so we know how much food to bring on Sunday..

Dunno if you can change the RSVP title to avoid confusion, but it still says Kelly Flats.

Athena
08-14-2008, 12:52 PM
unfortunately I can't ... ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************

RedCreeper
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Just trying to get some info on this trail. I have been following this on the RS and FJ forums. I have posted the same questions up there. I have a stock TT FJC and want to see what everyones opinion is on the trail if it something i can do. body damage? pinstriping? carnage? If i get up there and don't like what i see is it possible to go back the way i came? Don't wan't to break up a new ride. Thanks.

RedRunnertc
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108793

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105755

Serious damage only if you're REALLY stupid (and it doesn't sound like that's you!)

Pinstriping in your fat @$$ FJC, maybe (as always), but unlikely

RedCreeper
08-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I think that bridge will leave a mark.... haha

00regcab
08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Hmm, was looking forward to Kelly Flats so i could pull the doors off :p im sure the water level at coney will be too high to run door-less :(

AxleIke
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Hmm, was looking forward to Kelly Flats so i could pull the doors off :p im sure the water level at coney will be too high to run door-less :(

Seriously, don't pull the doors. :(

00regcab
08-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Seriously, don't pull the doors. :(

thats what i figured :(

maybe ill do Carnage with UNA and whoever else heads up that way

Lysmachia
08-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Looks like the title is changed. It should be MSV Coney Flats Sun Aug 17th right?

Sorry I'll miss you guys. Am heading out to San Fran again to see my sister!

Check the weather gang. It is supposed to be a lot cooler this weekend and Coney is up at 10K. However the threat of snow is really only tonight and tomorrow and they said that little to no accumulation due to the ground being to warm. It'll be a great run either way!

extremepaint
08-14-2008, 10:48 PM
shoot i thought this was a saterday run, i dont know if i can make it sunday even though im supposed to be up in boulder...

Lysmachia
08-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Sat is the ORS BBQ in Arvada....

AxleIke
08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
thats what i figured :(

maybe ill do Carnage with UNA and whoever else heads up that way

No.

Nothing to do with the water crossing.

Has to do with no doors= looks really, really, really bad.

Make some half doors. Those look really, really, really good.

Only one thing worse than no doors on a toyota....... :rolleyes:

ike
08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
ah, who cares how it looks? chop the top on that taco:rolleyes:

mrdoug
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I think I might have read this wrong so I thought I would confirm 8/17 is on a Sunday... are you planning to go on Sunday or Saturday?

My bad, it's sunday, but I'm still not sure what the parking lot will look like.

No matter tho. See you there.

AxleIke
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM

In that case, absolutely get rid of the doors.

DO IT!!!!

fjcruzer
08-15-2008, 11:27 AM

In that case, absolutely get rid of the doors.

DO IT!!!!

Just make sure you wear a hard hat :D:welder:

Jacket
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
I might make this one. I love the scenery up there, and its really close.

Quick Draw
08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
No.

Nothing to do with the water crossing.

Has to do with no doors= looks really, really, really bad.

Make some half doors. Those look really, really, really good.

Only one thing worse than no doors on a toyota....... :rolleyes:

Tube doors? I won't be offended.... It's ugly, but its fun...:)

mrdoug
08-16-2008, 07:34 AM
ugly is in the eye of the tasteless... I like tube doors/no doors personally. :D

You just can't beat the visibility.

SP!N4L T4P
08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
is this run still a "go" (cause of the weather...)? if so, just to make sure, to get to camp dick as soon as i reach boulder i head west on 119 till i get to nederland, then head north on 72 for 16.2 miles to Peacefull Valley, then i should see signs for Camp Dick and just follow them untill....?

Nate
08-16-2008, 01:34 PM
ill still go.

Nate
08-16-2008, 04:18 PM
anybody else gonna make it tomorrow?

Jacket
08-16-2008, 05:40 PM
is this run still a "go" (cause of the weather...)? if so, just to make sure, to get to camp dick as soon as i reach boulder i head west on 119 till i get to nederland, then head north on 72 for 16.2 miles to Peacefull Valley, then i should see signs for Camp Dick and just follow them untill....?

You'll drive through the peaceful valley campground, then drive about another mile until you get to the camp dick campground. Drive through it, and at the back (west) end there's a fairly large parking lot before the MSV trailhead.

dr350jja
08-16-2008, 06:07 PM
After all this rain the past two days, do you think the water crossing at Coney Flats Road will be too deep to cross???????? All the pics and books I've seen, shows it is a pretty DEEP crossing! :confused:

Nate
08-16-2008, 06:55 PM
anyone in for carnage instead?

mrdoug
08-16-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm still going, don't know if everybody else is. I can't wait to see the crossings, I thought they'd be a bit more mild now vs. earlier in the year when the rest of the crew crossed, but then we got this rain (don't know about out there, but rained here in Loveland for about 24 hours straight). It'll be interesting for sure.

Rock, paper, scissors to see who goes across first?

ike
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I am also still planning on going.

SP!N4L T4P
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
yeah im in, though i couldnt get the diff breather mod done today, so im probably going to have to drain the diffs after the run and put in new gear oil...

Lysmachia
08-16-2008, 09:09 PM
I thinkt he water crossings will be fine. Not like the streams down here which will be much more swolen. You guys are gonna have a blast!

dr350jja
08-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Anybody know what it's like running these trails in the rain? Do they become difficult rated trails?

ike
08-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Dont think it will be raining tommorow.

00regcab
08-17-2008, 03:10 AM
Ill try to be there, somebody call my ass at 8:15 and make sure im up?

If i dont answer, please call repeatedly, seriously.

Im going to set an interval of alarms starting at 7:45, but i procrastinate big time when it comes to my beauty sleep :p

SP!N4L T4P
08-17-2008, 03:15 AM
i can call u...

00regcab
08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
PM'd

There are a few other people that also have my #, those of you that do, if you read this post, please, call me.

Lysmachia
08-17-2008, 03:30 AM

Im going to set an interval of alarms starting at 7:45, but i procrastinate big time when it comes to my beauty sleep :p

Hows that Beauty sleep working' out for ya? :neener:

00regcab
08-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Considering i've been up for 22 hours, and im not tired....

not so good! :explode:

Jacket
08-17-2008, 08:41 AM

In that case, we should let you sleep in, cause the "beauty" part ain't workin.... :lmao: ;)

I'll be up at MSV this morning.