TTORA Forum banner

Bought AND Lost my FZJ80 on same day....

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Scootn2nature 
#1 ·
Well, as the title reads thats what happened... No "real" reason for this post other than make me happy that I vent a little. Here's the story...

I have been really searching for a low mileage, super clean 80 that already had some work done to it for my wife and I to use as a second vehicle. Right now my Tacoma is our only car and miles are racking up. Plus when I'm home it sucks to have to hurry on projects so we can get it driving.

So as of this past Friday I get on eBay and happen to see a black FJ80 for sale with no bids. I thought I had seen that 80 for sale before and emailed the dealer. He told me it was indeed a relist as the last winner wasn't able to come up with the money. So I asked if he'd take XX amount for it. He said he wanted XX amount and this went on until about 4 emails later we agreed on a price, and I sent in a deposit... During that time someone with a (0) feedback had put a bid on it. So he then tells me he can't take the auction down because someone bidded. So I let the weekend go and the night the auction gets ready to close i put in a bid and he says, if you win it we will still go with the price previously stated. I thought GREAT, done deal.

So i put a ridiculous bid on this thing through cniper and I actually get outbidded. For almost TWICE what i had the dealer agree to!!!:eek: I thought, Okay, its some idiot who just bidded, he only had a (3) feedback and probably won't have the money... I get an email and a second chance offer from the dealer, saying you still have it. I accepted the second chance and said I have shippers coming on this day to pick it up in CA and deliver to TX. I'll make full payment on Monday at end of business day.

Monday I come back to my room and find an email saying, Here's a refund, the auction winner called and said he could get it now. Since he won the auction we have to sell... I'm like B.S.!!! I gave you guys a deposit and made shipping arrangements with a company, keep my bank manager late on Friday, my wife postponed a trip to get the funds transferred and WTF!!!:mad:

I think it came down to... They saw more $$$ signs for someone who was going to pay crazy amount for a 1996 vehicle. I know its business, but makes mad that I went through all the BS.

Well, I just wanted to vent... I'm done. Thanks for listened, or reading actually I guess.

Boz

See less See more
#2 ·
i mean, think about it. if someone is willing to pay double? he doesnt know you, he doesnt give a shit about you, he wants to sell his vehicle and get cash.. unfortuently it sucks. sorry .

#5 ·
Yeah... I hope it will be relisted. I got an apology email from the dealership owner. I told him I'm not really mad, I understand how business works. What makes me mad the most is when I ask people to do me favors (i.e. my wife, and bank manager) only to turn around and say, "oops... thanks for your efforts, but i don't need any of that done now."

Also, the fact that they accepted a deposit and payment on the vehicle. If you already sold a car, someone walks in and offers more, I'd like to think most Americans would kindly decline and just be like, shoot we could have just made some bucks, BUT morally it just wouldn't be right to sell. Unfortunately, our country ain't like it used to be years ago.

Oh, well, I know more people will be getting rid of these with the gas $$ continually climbing and peoples pockets getting shallower... Just have to wait for another good one...

#6 ·
I would think that him taking your deposit would amount to a binding contract, regardless of whether the winning bidder came up with the money after they had already stated that they couldn't follow through.

As for the sudden bid for twice what the dealer agreed to, that just sounds like the classic scam where the seller makes a bid under a made up account to try to raise the price.

Like ShowStop said, typical EBay Bullshit.

You could probably fight it and win, but like you said....there have been quite a few nice 80 series cruisers for sale lately, so you may end up better off in the long run. Personally, I stay away from buying used cars from dealers anyway, because you know that no matter how good a deal you think you got, the dealer is gonna make plenty off from it too, and you'd get it for less buying from a private party. Plus you may even get some history of the vehicle from the PO, which can help, especially with modified vehicles.

Have you checked the IH8MUD classifieds? There have been some good deals on 80 series over there.

#7 ·
Yeah, I've been searching on IH8MUD for past several months. I'm the same user name there as here. I've talked to a few of the guys selling, and you're right about buying from a private seller and being able to get the history. Like this place, that forum is full of guys who know their shit. They are also honest about the needs of the vehicles.

I had thought about looking into the fact that they did take a deposit and then not go through with it. I have several family members who are lawyers but I don't won't to waste their time with something like that. Like you, i think in the long run i'll be able to find another very nice one that both I'll like as well as my wife.

eBay used to be a good place to buy/sell stuff. But lately crap bags have flooded the system there and I almost hate using it anymore. As of Thursday I sold my K5 Blazer on eBay and luckily it went like it was supposed to. Very nice buyer, and I hopefully gave him a good deal. I was very honest about everything with the truck. He came from San Antonio, picked it up and paid cash, then drove right back. I wish every sell/buy would work like that. Some people you just can't take their word for anything anymore... It's sad.

Well, On that note, if any of you find a nice 80 thats fixed up feel free to let me know. Most of those from IH8MUD i'll have been able to look at, but if there's one around your town, let me know. Thanks.

#8 ·
Found A New One!!!!!!

Just entered into another deal on a FJ80!!

It's from a military guy getting ready to leave to Iraq. It's a 1996 FZJ80, F/R diff locks, black on tan, 132K, completely stock, SUPER clean interior, no accidents, no off-roading, and FREE shipping! :)

Oh... and got it for lil over $3K!!!

I think i got a deal... I know I have a few things that I'll have to do maintenance wise at first. Also comes with chrome mirrors and handles:rolleyes: , so I'll HAVE to change those for some black ones soon (i HATE chrome).

Should be delivered in about a week and a half. Will post pics then!!!:D

#9 ·
Just entered into another deal on a FJ80!!

It's from a military guy getting ready to leave to Iraq. It's a 1996 FZJ80, F/R diff locks, black on tan, 132K, completely stock, SUPER clean interior, no accidents, no off-roading, and FREE shipping! :)

Oh... and got it for lil over $3K!!!

I think i got a deal... I know I have a few things that I'll have to do maintenance wise at first. Also comes with chrome mirrors and handles:rolleyes: , so I'll HAVE to change those for some black ones soon (i HATE chrome).

Should be delivered in about a week and a half. Will post pics then!!!:D
Sweet...definately post some pics.

I'm in search of am 80 also. I've seen some good deals, but nothing that I'm ready to jump on yet.

#10 ·
UPDATE: well, as of now, i'll probably never try to buy another vehicle online again.....

The latest FJ that I bought from the military kid... Well, he ended up emailing me saying he couldn't send it, and couldn't refund my money due to family issues where he had to use it.... Yeah, can you believe this shit??? So, the past week I've been dealing with Orlando PD, Army CID and AutoTrader online due to me being overseas right now... I was lucky and only sent him 50% of the asking price to ship and then was paying him the last 50% once the truck arrived so he could send the title.

So now, from what it looks like, I'm out the money unless the military acts on the guy. I told Orlando PD I'm willing to prosecute if able. I should hopefully be finding out whats the deal within a few days.

This is just my luck though... :( O'well, chalk it up to learning. Thought I would be reasonably safe dealing with a young fellow military member but guess not "that" safe.

I'm now considering just buying a 4runner from the local dealer when i return home. Wanted the 80, but seems like God doesn't want it so for me right now.

#15 ·
This is just my luck though... :( O'well, chalk it up to learning. Thought I would be reasonably safe dealing with a young fellow military member but guess not "that" safe.
there is no such thing as safe on the internet when dealing with private sellers. the whole thing was probably a scam, i bet there is no fj and he is not in the military. that whole ad reeked of a scam. dont be so anxious next time and just wait to buy a truck in person. that is the only safe way.

#11 ·
Fin Bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be pretty pissed

#12 ·
O, I am... But not much i can do but let the authorities handle it from here...

On another note, just got off the phone with the boss (aka:wife :D ) and looks like we are gonna maybe try to see about dropping the truck off to get a SAS done when I'm home. I'd love to do it myself, and may still try, but my home time is usually brief and my wife likes to be in my hip pocket every second. If i get a longer break I'll def do it myself though... We'll just have to see.

#14 ·
Yeah, i'd actually thought the same. I made the guy provide me with a lot of info before i'd even deal with him. Supposedly he was getting ready to ship to Iraq, and needed to sell due to that and family issues.

He seems like he's maybe trying to do this to get out of deploying, but I could be wrong. We'll see i guess...

#16 ·
He seems like he's maybe trying to do this to get out of deploying
Rather than send him to jail they should double his deployment.

Good luck in your hunt for an 80, lots of near perfect condition ones north of the border, JDM imports though, so I doubt you could register it in the US.

#17 ·
2 years ago I started looking for a tacoma and called a dealership to look a one. I called them the day of to come out and they had sold it. They said "we dont hold vehicals" but that wasn't the point, they could have called me and said make an offer someone is hear to buy it. Any way I found a 2004 on the internet with 13,600 miles 1 owner clear carfax and I put down 1,600 on the phone (the taxes). I then drove 3 hours and picked it up, I was very happy because I feel if someone would have walked in the door before me they would have just sold it. I hope you get yout money back and the guy gets a felony! Breaking your word is morals, stealing money is breaking the law. Either way someone will break your face.

#19 ·
sue em in small claims not to tuff problaby get you a max settlement of 5k for funds and time lost plus pain and suffering...........at least it would here in ca

Im not for all the sue happy shit but sounds like a deserving case for judge judy to lash those assholes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.