: No Brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poorboyota26
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Well not really. I have them just intermittently.

I have some ?'s though for those of you who would know. I personally have never had a brake booster go out before and was wondering if it's common?

My reasoning for the diagnosis:

while braking (sometimes) the pedal goes to the floor and just before it hits rock bottom the brakes kick in (like manual brakes). This prob is intermittent and sometimes I can brake fine.

I have new: pads, shoes, and master cylinder

resurfaced: Drums and Rotors

My ? is this

Is it the booster or the vacuum going to the booster (that little white plastic diaphragm in the line to the intake)?

Is it common for a booster to go out?
If so are these the symptoms?

I am literally BROKE (moving) so if there is a cheap FIX I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for the help
Kevin

ike
08-15-2008, 07:52 AM
start the truck with your foot on the brake with moderate pressure. you should feel the pedal suck down abit once the engine starts. after you shut it down you should have vaccum assist for a pump or two and then none also. That is how i have always been told to diagnosis a brake booster. Since it is intermintent, it sounds like a loose vaccum fitting somewhere

mrdoug
08-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Is it safe to assume you've bled your brakes and all the obvious stuff?

fjcruzer
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Is it safe to assume you've bled your brakes and all the obvious stuff?

x2, check the lines for leaks, then do as Ike says!

poorboyota26
08-15-2008, 09:47 PM
well the lines haven't leaked or I would have to add fluid. I bled them when I rep. the pads and shoes but if it were an air bubble why would it show up 2 months later? I suppose I could bleed them again. I tried the push the brake peddel then start thingy and no difference. I can stop it just is like there is no booster there and I have manual brakes that need adjustment. kinda like when your power steering goes out, you can steer but its hard as hell, I can brake but there isn't much pedal left.

RedRunnertc
08-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Have you bled the LSPV yet? (see post on NB) :D

ziggy428
08-17-2008, 12:33 PM
check your vacuum lines too.

ike
09-12-2008, 04:03 PM
So are your brakes working now that you replaced that banjo bolt?

poorboyota26
09-13-2008, 10:34 AM
yeah I got it fixed last Friday. It was the Master cylinder. Thanks for all the help guys. I've had a master go before and it acted nothing like this one. I thought it was new/rebuilt, when I bought the truck but it was just clean. The PO couldn't tell me the list of parts he'd replaced it was soo long and so long ago. Oh well.

Got brakes now though and they work great!!!!