: Looking at tacoma's have a few ?

surfermsd
05-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Well I am in the search for an 02-04 Tacoma 4x4 V6 5speed with Locker with around 30,000 miles. Problem is I know nothing about tacoma or having IFS. Always owned jeeps but they broke down to much. Right now I have an 04 A4 that I am parting out and selling for the tacoma.

Is there anything I should watch out for when buying one?
I want to fit 33s with minimal trimming was thinking 4" lift what should i look for?

I tired searching could not really find what i was looking for. So if anyone has some good threads, tech websites, parts websites, or good contacts for getting parts please let me know
TIA

TACO 4X4
05-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Well I am in the search for an 02-04 Tacoma 4x4 V6 5speed with Locker with around 30,000 miles. Problem is I know nothing about tacoma or having IFS. Always owned jeeps but they broke down to much. Right now I have an 04 A4 that I am parting out and selling for the tacoma.

I want to fit 33s with minimal trimming was thinking 4" lift what should i look for?

I tired searching could not really find what i was looking for. So if anyone has some good threads, tech websites, parts websites, or good contacts for getting parts please let me know
TIA

There's lots of info on here, you might have to try and refine your search. Just about anything you may want to know has been posted at least once.

With that said, here's a good article about the different kinds of lifts as well as the pro's and con's:

http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?page=index_v2&id=137&c=10

As for fitting 33's...you ask 10 different people you'll probably get 10 different answers. If running skinny 33's (33x10.5) you can get by with 2"-3" of lift and have minimal rubbing. I have a 3" lift and run the equivalent of (approx) 33x11.5 and have minimal rubbing after doing some trimming, but I do still rub. Peeps that run 33x12.5 have said you can rub even at 6" of lift. Guess it all depends on how much rubbing is tolerable to you.

Good luck.

YoTRacer158
06-01-2005, 07:51 AM
dont be afraid to ask questions...there are dicks around here that like to yell at you for not searching, but screw them. the search will find what youre looking for some times but a lot of the time it wont

McCannon
06-23-2005, 07:49 AM
by reading the article it looks like for a small lift coil overs and full leaf sets are the way to go. I know the article lists all the pro's and cons but a leaf set but I want an opinion from the practical group here. Do any of you use that? Any drawbacks?

I only want to go up 3-3.5 inches and still want a very good road ride. This vehicle is a weekend warrior so to speak and a daily driver the rest of the time. I have an '05 TRD sport V6 4x4.

ShowStop
06-23-2005, 10:18 AM

Lots of trucks out there like what you are looking for. Check the Rigs For Sale section here on the forum and obviously check around locally. Dealers that have those used trucks will charge lots of money for them, so search private party first. One of the issues you will find is that 30k miles is pretty low for a 2-3 yr old truck, expect most to be closer to 40k-50k miles. Tacomas don't have any major issues, so there really isn't any model year to avoid per say. There have been a few important safety recalls issued for the 2001-2004 model years, so be sure to check with the dealer and see if the recalls have been performed.

For the 33" tires, coilovers cranked to 2.5" and a 2" body lift should do the trick. Roger Brown is a good source for the body lift, and Camburg, Donahoe or King would be excellent choices for the coilovers.