TTORA Forum banner

GCRad1's 1992 ADV-FJ80 LAND CRUISER

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  GCRad1 
#1 ·

1992 FJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser - Purchased July 18, 2008

Hello fellow FJ owners! I finally got my own! I've been an FJ fan from long ago and just never thought that I personally would have the opportunity to own an 80-Series. Thought I would have wound up with a 60 or 70 Series. Love those 50/55's TOO!

But before this FJ80 came a few off-road adventures with a '85 Toyota built full desert pre-runner style with widened A-arms, fiberglass, caged, 4:88 gearing, LockRight locker and DAILY DRIVEN.

Then came the 2WFD rally car with welded/locked front end - AWESOME!

Then I built up from salvage a 2002 Subaru WRX Fam'Wagon and that became the family outing car and we took it to the mountains quite a bit! Then the KTM 950ADV and then the real adventure's began! But, I have family and such and my selfish adventures needed to included the family. The wifes vehicle switched from the Subaru WRX wagon to a nice Jeep 2WD Commander and I learned long ago to not mess with the wifes car, so no messing with this new Commander!

Just out of the blue, it was time to get tires for the wifes car and while at the shop I noticed this FJ80 sitting behind the shop and a FOR SALE sign in the window so I inquired about it. The price - RIDICULIOUS!!! Something must be wrong with it! Well, yea, it has minor issues like front axle leak + no lockers. But, I will get over that as according to the bank, I have plenty of additional spending room before I go over the bank value!!! SWEET! This is going to be a worthwhile ADVENTURE!!! And an adventure it will be as we love to get out and the wife, two kids and dog all do not fit on the KTM 950ADV.

So, I get the RIG and first things - get to get it off the tarmac!

Living in Southern California's OC is a bit dirt deprived but we do have this little spot: Trabuco Creek Rd is the quick escape road that goes up to the Holly Jim Hiking Trail. Nothing major at all, but when you got to touch dirt, you have to touch dirt! And our beloved Saddleback is closed!!!

On the first to repair list, this is a big-ticket item to tackle:

See less See more
#4 ·
ADV-FJ80 First Quicky Adventure July 26th, 2008

Sorry to waist time with a simple little report, for most of you.
But I just picked up my 1992 ADV-FJ80 and needed to get out, get the kids out and just drive my new truck - NOT ON TARMAC!

Living in Orange County, California does not provide the easiest of access to dirt much less, dirt roads!

But we do have a little bitty spot of dirt and then there is the SaddleBack / Santa Ana Mountains. While the majority is still closed due to the fires, a nice little part is still open and we are off to see what of it we can see!

We can see this much while in transit on Bake Parkway.

While the fun side of Santiago Canyon Side [toward the left] is closed we will be going in off the Ortega Highway [toward the right].

Meet up with my co-worker:

No joke here:

HAZARDOUS!!!

Yes, we have some forest in Orange County boardering with San Bernardino County - we share:

We are on Ortega Highway and entering Cleveland National Forest and the kids know we are getting close.

My daughter is taking pictures of everything and this is just off the Ortega Highway, to the left is the direction we are headed, Blue Jay Campground. In this image, the road straight ahead in the short cut down the backside of Ortega, the dirt express lane that I have seen Civic's and boxtrucks truckin down when the Ortega pass is stopped due to construction and such:

Not even in the dirt yet and getting great views like this looking over to the San Bernardino side and to the right is Lake Elsinore of which we will have a better view once we get up on the dirt road:

In the dirt and visible signs of the fire:

Meet up with some Jeepy'crawlers getting their dirt-fix:

2D regenerated view never shows the 3D actual of just how steep anything ever really is:

Part of the fun, you just have to be out there to see it!

SO off to the next little bit:

It's GREAT to just be OUT!!!

And GREAT VIEWS!!!

Hard to see, but at the top of the "hill" is all the repeater stations and when all the gates are open, you can drive up and over:

We have actually be up there during the SNOW! Yes, SNOW IN OC! That was in 2006-It was just little ol'us in a Scooby and two large Uni's cruzing around on the hill:

I think they where a little shocked to see us up there!

So flash back forward, we hit the mid-way gates and we either turn around or go down the side toward the 15-FWY, so I never have been down all the way out through the gate so we make way down, out and back around to Ortega, but go up the side dirt express way - quick little trip of about 115-miles round trip from garage door to garage door.

Last shot going down the backside of Saddleback... if anyone knows, know where the white rocks on side of the hill that spell out "FISHING" and this is basically where this road comes out - half way between Corona and Lake Elsinore.

My Quicky-ADV-trip for a day!!! Much accomplished and kids are ready to go again!

#5 ·
#6 ·
Heading out of town and ADV80 pee's all over the place!

UPDATE: Water Leak

My ADV80 getting it's first service and coming at a time when time is not possible - the day we are leaving on the FAMILY TRIP!

The adventure-machine decided to pee on the ground just as we where about to leave the ADV80 behind as we where about to leave out of town on our family get-a-way. Yes, the day of departure, I discovered water on the ground! Guess the ADV80 was feeling left out, but it has not been gone through yet and did not trust making a big trip with it and lucky as this does not look good!

Worst of all, this is just rusty looking water, not coolant! So it looks like we will be tackling coolant issues before oil leak issues and front axle wiper issues.

This view is shot from the ground looking up at the motor. Water seems to be coming from the water pump just above the crank.

So it's time to get on the horn and start calling and did not want to go to the local Toyota Dealer. So I narrow the list down to Laguna Viejo Auto Serivce as these guys are sorta' close to my work and they are willing to take the ADV80 in and should be able to button it up while we are gone on the trip!

The wife following behind in the Commander - it's loaded and ready to go, but a quick side trip to drop off the ADV80. The Commander is 2WD and better gas milage and A/C is working and you know how important that is for the wife and kids! Yea yea yea, more task items to add to the ADV80 TO-DO list!

Called Harry to make sure I could drop it off and made way down to their location.
Harry - Head dude with all the 80-Series Friends
Mark - head FJ80 mechanic
Laguna Viejo Auto Service
27140 Cabot Road, Suite A
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
949.582.7262 - tell'em Rodney sent ya!!!

Milage as of Aug 14th [Thursday] as dropped off with Harry & Mark at Laguna Viejo Auto Service. I've only managed to put about a thousand miles on it since purchased July 18th.

OK, I'm back on Monday and itching to see how bad this is going to be.

Mark getting into the nitty-gritty of what should be a simple issue but looking to be a can of worms right out the gate!

1] There is a rigged device in place of the bracket for the alternator to stay in place with tension on the belt. new bracket needs to be purchased and replace rigged-device.
2] chiseled bolt on the adjustment pulley from what seems due to either not having metric socket/wrench and or not enough leverage to break the bolt loose previously. That issue needs to be sorted as well as pulley bearing replaced!
3] idler pulley bearing is shot and needs replacing.
4] Then we can start talking water cooling issues and will learn more on that soon!

SO - the list of TLC-DO's is now starting to come to life!
Cooling issues to be sorted and some 14+hoses need replacing.
A/C not cooling
front main seal leaking oil.
Front Axle wipers leaking.

I know a few of you say I should be tackling these issues myself and yes I should... BUT, I have a two-car garage in a town-home!!! Wife's car goes in the garage and all my toys are on the other side making it currently IMPOSSIBLE for any work in the garage and the TH-association will not allow me to be working on the car outside the garage. Time to start sorting the toy collection:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.