: lockers

SP!N4L T4P
08-21-2008, 01:57 AM
im researching lockers for the rear (anytime i have a prob on an obstacle its cause im not locked, including the 3.0 blowing) and mrdoug told me about aussie lockers. for now i dont want to get a selectable so i dont have to deal with wires/compressors, so while im looking/researching does anyone have any additional input for the aussie or any other locker in that type, like detroits or anything?

ocdropzone
08-21-2008, 05:44 AM
aussie is cheap about $265 or so delivered to your door and pretty easy to install...sounds like you just need to google it and read some more

poorboyota26
08-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Volcom has Aussies in both front and rear and he's running 39.5's. I think.

He likes em just fine from what he's said. They are pretty easy to install and you don't have to worry about setting up the gears.

Don_G
08-21-2008, 07:53 AM
You only have to worry aboout shimming the carrier side-to-side to set backlash and preload - so you avoid the PITA pinion adjustments - but you dio need to be ready to shim the carrier.

mrdoug
08-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Here's a write up of the Aussie over on YotaTech (install, use, pros/cons):
http://www.yotatech.com/f105/aussie-locker-review-143163/

Volcom
08-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Sounds like you had a 3.0 in your 4Runner. So you've got the V-6 rear 3rd and Aussie Locker doesn't make a locker for it yet. You're limited to locker choices for the rear (ARB, Detroit, and one kind of lunchbox locker (not sure which brand))

You still IFS in the front?

I do have aussies F&R running 40's and they have worked out great so far in 2 season of wheeling.

Mythica
08-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I love my detroit!

RedRunnertc
08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
If you're gonna drive the rig on snowy mountain roads, I would HIGHLY recommend a selectable.

To be honest, the air/electric is not that hard to install.

Mythica
08-21-2008, 12:25 PM
If you're gonna drive the rig on snowy mountain roads, I would HIGHLY recommend a selectable.

To be honest, the air/electric is not that hard to install.

That is true, or put it in 4wd and it is not too bad. The bad part comes in when the truck is off camber, at that point the ass end wants to go downhill, pretty much no matter what, even in 4wd, the ass stays to the down hill side while the front moves forward. It looks funny from behind and feels really wierd while driving.

Installing the airlines is really easy, mounting the compresor is the hard part. The wiring is pretty straight forward too.

If you have an after market stereo you can put the switches in the void below the deck.

SP!N4L T4P
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Sounds like you had a 3.0 in your 4Runner. So you've got the V-6 rear 3rd and Aussie Locker doesn't make a locker for it yet. You're limited to locker choices for the rear (ARB, Detroit, and one kind of lunchbox locker (not sure which brand))

You still IFS in the front?

I do have aussies F&R running 40's and they have worked out great so far in 2 season of wheeling.

yeah, i read on aussie's site how it noted V6 and Turbo 4cyl as an "exception", but i was hoping that they didnt mean that they didnt have a locker available. and yeah im still IFS up front.

That is true, or put it in 4wd and it is not too bad. The bad part comes in when the truck is off camber, at that point the ass end wants to go downhill, pretty much no matter what, even in 4wd, the ass stays to the down hill side while the front moves forward. It looks funny from behind and feels really wierd while driving.

Installing the airlines is really easy, mounting the compresor is the hard part. The wiring is pretty straight forward too.

If you have an after market stereo you can put the switches in the void below the deck.

if i can find a good deal on a selectable ill go with it, though im kinda leaning towards something like an e-locker as apposed to an air locker. still tempted to just say fugit and go with a detroit and see what happens. either way, i got a feeling that in 1 or 2 years im going to be getting rid of the IFS and rear axle for some kind of major axle upgrade, so i dont want to invest too much in a locker. as far as the detroit goes though, i can deal with it "driving funny" in the snow, but its not like if im on some mountain road and im not paying attention i could lose control and fly off the side of the cliff, right?

Mythica
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
no you wont justout of no where lose control.

Unless you are driving way too fast. When the locker unloads, coming out of a corner or something it can push the truck around a bit, depending on wheel base. Short wheel based vehicles get pushed around. My taco at 126" wb, doesnt even flinch when the locker unloads. My brothers much shorter bronco, gets pushed around quite a bit, and its a heavier truck. It may push your runner around a bit. but you will get used to it, and know when it is going to unload after driving it for a while

Man, if you are thinking about upgrading the rear axle in the future, get a detroit and dont look back. They are cheaper than the Eaton e lockers and far cheaper than the ARB's. Not to mention the Detroit is bullet proof (aussies may be too, i just have never used them).

RedRunnertc
08-21-2008, 04:33 PM
as far as the detroit goes though, i can deal with it "driving funny" in the snow, but its not like if im on some mountain road and im not paying attention i could lose control and fly off the side of the cliff, right?

Molly's rig has a Detroit. In 2WD, if you do not pay attention to the throttle in slick corners, it WILL loop on ya. Especially if it's offcamber.

We have to put her truck in 4WD WAY before we have to put mine into 4WD on snowy roads.

SP!N4L T4P
10-13-2008, 11:29 PM
just wanted to hear from other peeps who got detroits, does yours pop/make a thud whenever you shift? mine does unless i very, very slowly let off the clutch, and even then it happens.

Blowntaco
10-14-2008, 09:12 AM
just wanted to hear from other peeps who got detroits, does yours pop/make a thud whenever you shift? mine does unless i very, very slowly let off the clutch, and even then it happens.

Yep, mine does that as well. It's normal

Gerdo
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
I love my ARB. Worth the money.

hurley842002
10-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I just sold a Detroit already installed in a 3rd for $350, but it looks like you have 4.88's and mine was just stock 4.10.

Nate
10-17-2008, 06:53 AM
does anyone here have an auto locker in the front and the rear? i am looking for some cheap traction and was wondering if it would be stupid to lock front and rear because of the snow? i already have the front locked

Quick Draw
10-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Well the front is stupider to have auto-locked. If you're going to be driving in snow the front pretty much has to be selectable. The rear you can get away with an auto locker.

RedRunnertc
10-17-2008, 07:11 AM
While I agree with Kyle that you really SHOULD have a selectable in the front, there are gonna be tons of people come on and say they have driven on sheet ice with a lunchbox and it's fine.

To me, the line gets drawn at "do other people drive your truck?" Because, if so, they probably won't believe you about staying off the gas in corners until they put it in the ditch!