TTORA Forum banner

FJ40 Build up

14K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Snorkie 
#1 ·
It's time to start :saw:

This is when I got it a year ago.

I cleaned it up a bit, undercoated the frame and inside.

We got it running right and fixed the brakes.

Got sick in January and wasnt able to work on it for a while.

After going to BVORR on the 2nd, I knew I had to get it going soon.

Does not come with power steering. I was going to go with a mini setup but, whats the point of spending money on brackets and other stuff if it wasnt going to work when I did a SR, SOA. So I decided to go ahead and do the SR, SOA, and spring flip. I am going to use a IFS Box.

Pump installed

Axel removed

Removing hangars

SR, spring flip we ran out of time to work on it so we just flipped the diff, and bolted it so we could drive it out of the shop.

I just had to see what it was going to look like with 35's

Work continues on Monday. My highsteer arms are on the way!
I hope to have it ready by the end of the year!:D (It all depends on the money):(

See less See more
#3 ·
The only thing I bought was the perch's. I looked into a kit but dont like the way they look, it drops down the front like 4-5". I'm trying to keep the cost minimum since i'm broke.

HOA - man that sucks, you could move it up and down the driveway but it would be hard to go back up with the slant. LOL

If you need any help let me know, I'm sure we could free the shop on a Saturday and :saw: :welder:

#5 · (Edited)
I'm holding off on that right now till I have the money to buy a rebuild kit, and a locker:D. I might as well do it all at once. I was thinking on using a pipe cutter. I dont think you would be able to use a plasma cutter on the cut and turn.

I wish I had a plasma cutter, would make it alot easier.

#18 ·
Working on the front diff

Taking it apart

3rd member - Looks very clean, gears in excellent condition 4:11 Ratio

2 rolls of towels and a box of gloves later

Just have to clean it all up, and wait for the rebuild kit to come in.

#19 ·
update

I'm working on the front axle, my Aussie locker just came in today.
I'm also adding hydro assist, so I will be cleaning up the housing and having the tabs for the ram, shockmounts, and gussests. I'm hoping to have the complete diff ready by the weekend.

I forgot my camera but I will post up some pictures tomorrow.

#21 ·
locker, seals, and brake booster adapter

hydro assist

extra support, knuckle rebuild kit

3rd member cleaned and awaiting the locker to be installed.

birfields and knuckles cleaned and ready

Should have the stuff welded on the diff tomorrow, if it doesnt rain.

#23 ·
I hope you are swaping out the 3 speed boat anchor out for a H41 (non-usa 4speed) or at min a H42 (usa 4 speed). The J30 has a 1st gear of 2.7:1, the stock 3 speed t-case is 2.3:1 with 4:11 diff thats only a 25:1 Crawl. The H42 has a 3.5:1 first and the H41 has a 5:1. I had a J30 in my fj40 even with stock tires it was still to high. I have installed a H41 since and now i am on 35's, it is a great up grade, I would put it up there with the ARB lockers. you will regreaat not swaping it out in about 1 week. All the 3 and 4 speed have a 1:1 top gear. Swaping out the r and p is not really an option in fj40 as you will be winding out the F motor on the high way. I spin 3k just to go 60 mph, and watch the fule gauge drop. If you want more info about this go to IH8mud.com, it might be tabo to like to another site but there are a ton of LC guys there.

All the Best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.