: Baja Front Bumper for 1999 Toyota Tacoma

JerryS
08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I have decided to replace my damaged front bumper from the 1999 Toyota Tacoma with the Front Bumper for Toyota/4Runner 1995 to 2004 Baja Bumper.

http://bajabumpers.com/category/tube-bumpers/

Anyone have an opinon; good, bad, indifferent? I am not using the vehicle for much off-roading and will not be installing a winch. The AllPro was far more expensive and Downey no longer makes their tube bumper, so this is my last shot. What I am trying to accomplish here is to make a stronger front bumper than the current worthless stock bumper cover and assembly found on my vehicle. Takes two weeks to make and ship and once it arrives I plan on powder coating. Been some debate about powder coating vs. painting with truck bed liner? Appreciate any opinions/experience with the Baja Bumper and how I should proceed from here.

RedRunnertc
08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Never heard of them. 1-5/8"x.120" wall is about the minimum I would go on a bumper. Mine is 2"x2"x.120 and it has some dents and damage.

mrdoug
08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
First, I've never heard of that company or anybody that's used them, so I won't comment on that aspect.

I am not using the vehicle for much off-roading

how did you chew up your stock bumper if you don't do much off-roading? I'm not picking on you, just curious how you use that bumper. That will have alot to do with how stout of a bumper you should be looking for. One thing that popped out to me was the use of HREW tubing. That along with small diameter means it won't stand up to much abuse.

Been some debate about powder coating vs. painting with truck bed liner?

If you are going to end up actually using whatever bumper you decide on, I would strongly recommend regular ol spray paint over either of the 2 options.

My sliders have simple flat black spray paint, I use the hell out of them. I used a textured "non-skid" spray paint for my bumpers, I bump things with them (often and hard) and they need a touch up, but that textured stuff just doesn't add anything except expense so I'll be using gold ol flat black paint for the touch up at the end of this season.

Powder coating bumpers is fine for around town, but if/when it get's scratched, it's expensive to touch-up/patch. Same goes for the roll on bed liner.

mgoose82
08-26-2008, 11:21 PM
i had one of those on my 4runner. worked pretty good. i dented it up a bit, but ask any of these guys that have wheeled with me, i'm "very" hard on every part of my rigs

if you get one, just don't try to push a skid steer loader with it, you won't win

JerryS
08-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I damaged the front passenger side of the bumper in a street accident, not off-road. Waiting at a light, right lane, behind an SUV. SUV took right hand turn and stopped for crossing pedestrian. I wasn't paying attention, started from dead stop went about 5-6 feet and plowed into the rear end of SUV. Minimal damage to SUV, mashed in the passenger side of my front bumper. The only good thing I can say is they didn't even talk about calling the cops in to salt the wound with a ticket. So in my infinite wisdom, I am trying to strength the worthless/non-existent stock bumper on the 99 Tacoma I have w/o trying to make it into a monster truck. I want some type of bumper that adds strength to the front bumper w/o adding a ton of weight like the ARBs or draining what little resources I have for this like the AllPro (about $720 w/shipping) and in the end looks decent. My chooses have been extremely limited and the Baja Bumper is about the only thing I have been able to find ($480 w/shipping - unpainted). I can't off-road with this vehicle because I use it for work, but off-road bumpers appear to be my only option, plus living in CO and driving in the snow I want something that will work if I slide into a wall, whatever. Curious to know how MGOOSE82 felt about the Baja Bumper he had and what it looked like, picture? Also, considering my use and situation does MrDoug still feel the powder coating is not the way to go. If I go with powder coating, hoping to get it done for about $60, is that a reasonable assumption? The only thing I really don't like about the bumper is the almost vertical appearance of the front skid plate, any opinions? Thanks for the responses.

mrdoug
08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah, for around town, powder coated bumper is good. I'll look nice resist chipping under normal circumstances and provide a good barrier to rust/corrosion.

Another option you might want to consider is hitting one of the Toyota junk yards around and see if you can find a stock replacement. I think it'll likely provide decent protection (maybe more than a tube bumper in an on road collision ??). Check out yotayard.com or http://jimsgotparts.com/.

Volcom
08-27-2008, 12:25 PM
For those prices, call up Scotty at Addicted Off Road (http://www.addictedoffroad.com/). He can fab up a front bumper to your liking.

Son of Mayhem was asking the same question on this thread (http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109882

JerryS
08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
MrDoug and Volcom, I really appreciate the fast response. I have already called Scott from Addicted and he can do a custom bumper but not for the $375 sale price because of the different mounts, etc. on the 99 (more around $600 and up). But he did tell me to go with the hammer coating instead of the powder coating because of ease of repair and durability. I have also called YotaYard and Jim's Parts and neither of them have 99 parts right now. If I want an after market bumper that will give me some added strength and not to much additional weight, then it is pretty much going to be the Baja Bumper. I just don't want to look like I'm driving a cattle catcher on the front of my vehicle. That's why I am interested in what mgoose82 has to say about the look of the thing.

There was a SmittyBilt tube bumper that really looks like what I wanted for my vehicle, but they stopped manufacturing it a few years ago and after talking to SmittyBilt, they are trying to manufacture it again sometime next year. In addition, discussions I've seen on the SmittyBilt bumper have been real negative on other sites. Yet it does look like it would have worked in my situation since I don't do much, if any, off-roading. Again, thanks for the responses and if you have any more thoughts/recommendations please let me know.

mgoose82
08-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Curious to know how MGOOSE82 felt about the Baja Bumper he had and what it looked like, picture? The only thing I really don't like about the bumper is the almost vertical appearance of the front skid plate, any opinions? Thanks for the responses.

personally i really liked the one i had, the angle of it gave a great approach angle on obstacles, and also in deep snow it help push the truck to the top so i could drive right over top of drifts and such. i don't have a pick but it was the exact one as the pic in the link you gave (skidplate included on mine)

Son of Mayhem
09-01-2008, 03:11 PM
I talked to the owner. Very nice guy and informative. I was going to buy one. But never commited to the shipping/wait time.

devinsixtyseven
09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I can give you only an opinion...

If you don't spend much time offroad, or taking difficult lines offroad, get a stock bumper or "box" style bumper. It offers much, much better protection for the front end should you be in an accident, which IMHO is much more important for a DD than getting another 5* of approach angle or whatever.

-Sean