: Taking front bumper off...worry about airbags?

justinb
12-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Where are the airbag sensors located? What is the procedure for removing the front bumper?

Ted
12-17-2004, 12:32 AM
What year Truck?

Wgasa84
12-17-2004, 12:52 AM
Where are the airbag sensors located? What is the procedure for removing the front bumper?

The sensors on the 01-04's are on the insides of the fender wells (the two i know of)

on the 2nd gen's there are 4 bolts holding the bumper on bumper brackets to the frame) + some clips and 3rd gen's there are 6 bolts and a couple clips holding the bumpers on.

I have had the bumpers off of 2nd and 3rd gens w/o a problem.

the sensors are made to go off with a rapid decrease in speed. say... from hitting something. not from hitting them. if you would have to hit the sensors... that would be one hell of a crash, they are below your battery and airbox for the 3rd gens atleast.

zszac111
12-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I dont think my damn airbags work, i know ive slammed into rocks hard enough that it makes my freaking teeth feel like they are going to fall out of my head and nothing happens, but my spiral cable is also broke in the steering wheel. o well a trail rig doesnt need airbags :D

BLT2RCKTRD
12-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Just make sure you disconnect the battery before taking the bumper off. Besides that you must have to hit two sensors a once on most abs systems, while going atleast 12-28 mph depending on the system.

4TACXOMA4
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Just make sure you disconnect the battery before taking the bumper off. Besides that you must have to hit two sensors a once on most abs systems, while going atleast 12-28 mph depending on the system.
I've never disconnected my battery, and nothing has happened yet...

BLT2RCKTRD
12-17-2004, 08:23 PM
I've never disconnected my battery, and nothing has happened yet...
I am not saying anything will happen, but it if you disconnect the battery the air bag won't go off.

Mike
12-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I am not saying anything will happen, but it if you disconnect the battery the air bag won't go off.
I have never seen anything airbag related anywhere near the stock front bumpers. The sensors I have seen are on the inner fenders. But what do I know, I don't even have working airbags. :xdevil:

Later,
....Mike

BLT2RCKTRD
12-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I am not sure where the sensors are for sure, but if you are worried about setting the airbag off just disconnect the battery.

Smiling_Jim
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
I am going to build a new bumper and grill guard, and would like to disable the airbags while wheeling. Of course, I can disable the passenger bag with a key. But is there a fuse (or?) that I can pull at the trailhead for the driver bag?

Thx, Jim

99redyota
12-17-2004, 10:27 PM
the fuse is located right below the airbox on my truck its got a bright yellow harness cant miss it

BigBadBob0
12-18-2004, 10:47 AM
The airbag stuff is all bright yellow. There are two sensors mounted to the frame rails in the front of the truck. The little computer thingy for the airbag is below the ashtray, in front of the shifter. Everything related to the airbag is that yellow color.

STOMPER
12-18-2004, 02:26 PM

The bumper is not connected in anyway to the airbag system on the Tacoma's. there on centrifugal switches. Its how fast you stop. The sensors on every Tacoma ive seen are located inside the engine compartment on the fender wells. All air bag wiring on the Tacoma's are Yellow. In theroy you could wreck and total the truck and the airbag systen would never go off.

tercel89
12-18-2004, 11:54 PM
so is the airbag system totally relying on electricity for its power? i thought it would still work if the battery was disconnected.
i too want to take mine out , but i am afraid that it will go off .If it does , then the passenger-side one will break the winshield, and i dont want that! I have worked so many crash's and seen people that would have been fine if they hadnt gotten zapped by the bags. I love seatbelts , but not too sure of these bags.

BigBadBob0
12-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Luckily new cars are coming with "adaptive" air bags. They sense the passengers weight and distance from the dash/steering wheel and adjust their explosion accordingly. Probably prevent a lot of facial burns and severe injuries to people who sit way too close to the steering wheel.

akshunj
12-19-2004, 01:33 AM
so is the airbag system totally relying on electricity for its power? i thought it would still work if the battery was disconnected.
i too want to take mine out , but i am afraid that it will go off .If it does , then the passenger-side one will break the winshield, and i dont want that! I have worked so many crash's and seen people that would have been fine if they hadnt gotten zapped by the bags. I love seatbelts , but not too sure of these bags.
The airbag system is backed up by a capacitor. If you disconnect the battery, let it sit for a few minutes to ensure it fully discharges. Also, the airbag sensors a g-force sensitive. It takes so many g's to make them deploy. I forget how many but consider how many g's you experience going from 35 or 40mph to 0 mph in less than 1 second and you get the idea.

We use the same kind of sensors in our aircraft for the emergency locator transmitter. When we have to test them on the bench in the shop, I have to put it in a vice and hit it with a rubber mallet to set it off.

3rdidvet
12-19-2004, 01:44 AM
My front right corner got smacked by a corolla crossing my path without looking, and the airbag never went off. By the sounds of this thread, I don't think anything less than a 25 mph frontal crash is gonna get 'em to go off, but better safe than ( a lot of money to get new bags ) sorry!

Chris